[Archive] Secret weapon miniatures RoB kick starter

Ugly Green Trog:

Hey all,

Saw this over on dakka and really likes the look. Mainly favours sci-fi to start with but the stretch goals have generic grasslands and deserts etc.

It looks like a really nice and cheaper equivelant to the realm of battle board just without the GW “Moar skullz, moar grimdark!” Approach. The tiles come in sets of 16 unique 1’x1’ squares. The video on the main page is well worth a look, and they are working with EU and Oceanic distributors to try n get round the usual kick starter issue of tax and shipping. Mantic are dealing with it in Uk and EU.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1084069684/tablescapes-by-secret-weapon-miniatures?ref=live

bigdark:

Those are really impressive looking. I think they did a great job, I just wish it was Fantasy oriented.

It could be me being overly simple, but if I were to make a scifi board, I think it would be pretty simple to ramshackle something together by hitting up a thrift store bin, buy all of the plastic toys - stomp them into bits - glue them together into scrap piles - bam, scifi terrain.

Wouldn’t be as handsome, but it sure would be cheap.

I do prefer the junkyard look over the “grimdark” look.

Kera foehunter:

Kera whines Its 40 k aaooooooo

Ugly Green Trog:

Kera whines Its 40 k aaooooooo

Kera foehunter
I totally agree Kera, I've backed it as a placeholder really, if they don't make the generic grass tiles or the desert theme I'll pull out. Even if you don't back em Justin from swm has loads of plans to make stuff beyond the kick starter so he will probably make less sci fi oriented boards eventually.

Taurian:

Very interesting. I also liked how the $ amount popped up a few hundred while I was viewing the video. As of this writing, only $2K from their goal.

As for me, I’ve already pissed enough money away Heroscape tiles. I don’t know how well these would work for WH, but I got them primarily due to their ability to expand vertically as well as horizontally, which is handy in my other gaming interest.

cornixt:

I saw these yesterday, they were at 60% of their target after just a few hours! Pretty expensive, some generic river sections or modular hills would be more useful.

Ugly Green Trog:

Well apparently the plan is for all that sort of thing eventually. Justin is talking about the basic 16 tile sets as well as additional sets of 4-8 with things like hills rivers and similar. The primary board is already 9k over its funding so the stretch goals are next. The generic mud grass board I think we will definitely at see 200k but the desert one is a maybe at this stage, still with the initial 89k achieved in just 24 hours it will be interesting to see how it keeps coming.

fattdex:

it gets to the point where its much cheaper to paint a 6x4 chipboard with textured paint and call it a desert board- at least then you don’t have 1x1 foot grid all over it. I hope they just remember to add a lot of y axis to it, but already i see a lot of one foot tiles with a thing smack in the middle of it. It will look pretty weird to play on a table with fairly regularly arrayed detail pieces. If the realm of battle board has anything going for it it’s the large hill details they can do having a two foot space to play with.

Ugly Green Trog:

This desert is more of a parched wasteland to go with swm desert basin bases i believe. The hills are both a plus and a negative as it really leaves you quite restricted with your terrain set up on the RoB board. It’s either one big hill in the middle, the valley setup or the crater set up. I believe Justin has said that 50% of the tiles are light gradient/flat, 25% are a bit bumpy and the rest have about an inch of detail.

gIL^:

I think cant get round the grid system, I think ill stick to battlemats. Simples!

RiTides:

it gets to the point where its much cheaper to paint a 6x4 chipboard with textured paint and call it a desert board- at least then you don't have 1x1 foot grid all over it. I hope they just remember to add a lot of y axis to it, but already i see a lot of one foot tiles with a thing smack in the middle of it. It will look pretty weird to play on a table with fairly regularly arrayed detail pieces. If the realm of battle board has anything going for it it's the large hill details they can do having a two foot space to play with.

fattdex
I'm most interested in the temple theme they've talked about, as I think that could help hide the 1x1 foot grid. And also possibly work as a very portable display board for chaos dwarfs by just using four of the panels :)

RiTides:

I decided to pledge for a display board (it has a specific pledge level for that now). The current stretch is the display board ruined temple theme, which is a sure thing before the end, imo.

The next stretch is ruined temple for the entire table sets, and I think that will make it in, too.

Ends in less than a week, check it out if you care for such things :slight_smile:

Jossy:

I’ve pledged. 4x8’ table for me

At under half the price of a Realm of Battle Board and far more variety in the terrain this is a good buy.

The one HUGE downside to the realm of battle boards was the hills being part of the tiles. SWM 1x1’ get around this nicely.

Hope they unlock the Ruined Temple theme, if not rolling fields will do. There already at 230k with the last minute rush about to start so there is a good chance I will get my ruined temple

I’m over green cloths and table mats. 1x1’ tiles means I can pack it away in the cupboard when I am not using it or take it round to mates house!

RiTides:

Agreed! Ends Sunday early afternoon, so if folks want in now is the time!

I am in for a display board, the ruined temple version unlocks at 240K so that should be easy.

Full ruined temple at 280K looks far off, but I think it will there!

Ugly Green Trog:

I’m in for the rolling fields 6x4 table at the moment. I will expand it at a later date when some additional tiles come out.

Glimpse the Void:

Now this is interesting because I keep going back to GW’s website and trying to convince myself that the realm of battle board is not as expensive as it seems. This seems to have come out just in time to keep from making a horrible mistake.

RiTides:

I’m very happy that the full ruined temple table was unlocked :). I only pledged for a display board of it, but it is nice to know there will be more tiles available in the style if I want more in the future!

Of course, since it’s the fourth theme to be unlocked it’s estimated delivery is pretty much a year out… will have to come up with something in the interim for my chaos dwarfs display board if I can get them tournament ready.

Jossy:

The good thing is that since you pledged, you will get a preview of all final designs before they are manufactured and the option to buy in at any level in addition to what you have already pledged.

I pledged for a 4x8’ ruined temple table but think I will also buy in on the fields, some scatter terrain and maybe some walls when they are available (which is all good cause I didn’t have the funds atm) :hat