[Archive] Shamu - Babylonian rocket ship!?

Grimstonefire:

I was reading something else when I found a link to this:

Sitchin's Mesopotamian Rocket Ships - How to Ignore Ancient Mesopotamian Dictionaries

Seems some scholar somewhere reckons the babylonians had flying rocket ships!?

Whilst this is just stupid, it would be awesome for chaos dwarfs! :smiley:

Iā€™m thinking something the equivalent of maybe 2 gyrocopters on a chariot base, with repeater rocket launchers underslung!

Edit:

Reading more about this it seems some people somewhere think that it was actually a flying ziggurat rocket thing, like a space ship!? Crazy I tell you.

Borador:

Well I was working on a flying ship with cannon and stuff.

But thereā€™s no progress there xD I was building one from a dark eldar ship with all sorts of bits removed(and stuff added ofcourse) and was busy with thinking about how to add a giant balloon. Any suggestions?

Seems like a cool idea Grim, would be nice to have some rules for it :smiley:

sundrinker:

thats a pretty awesome idea but how would it act would it be flying around or acting more like a drop pod from that game with 2 digits and a letter as its title ???85L???

black hammer:

Iā€™m seriously doubting the sanity of the scholar who thinks babylonians had rocket ships. But the idea sounds awsome for chaos dwarfs! I think ork dethkopotas would be good to base a model on.

Ancient History:

The only way this could work is if we had goblin slaves to pilot them into the enemyā€¦

Loki:

There is allot of reference in ancient texts and carvings in Babylon and other cultures of rocket ships and men in space suits, check out the film The Forth Kind it mentions loads about it in there, i know its a film but it all based on facts

Tarrakk Blackhand:

This is the first time I ever heard of it.

However, what the Babylonians could have considered as ā€œRocket Shipsā€ could be something totally different from what we think of them. Iā€™m thinking something along the lines of the Chinese ā€œRocket Chairā€ idea which was basically a bunch of roman candles fastened to a throne.

But to think that ancient Babylonians ever came up with something like 1969ā€™s Moon Walk is totally preposterous, considering that they didnā€™t have the materials or the knowledge to actually do it.

Bloodfire:

Reminds me of this ā€˜archaeologistā€™ (i use the term loosely) who thought Alantis was really and that he knew the exact location of it. Watched one his documentaries where he was looking for the holy grail, I couldnt believe the amount of crap he spewed out, one exampleā€¦he comes up to a pillar with a red liquid in a small basin and then stating ā€˜this blood has been here for hundreds of yearsā€¦ā€™ you would think it would dried up by now oO

And when he did ā€˜findā€™ the grail he said that it was in a small building but he wasnt allowed to go in it because he ā€˜wasnt holy enoughā€™, apparently not even the pope is not allowed in there so how do we know itā€™s really true?

Still it was a good watching trying to climb a rope up to this templeā€¦when theres a stair well right next to him :slight_smile:

Pyro Stick:

And when he did 'find' the grail he said that it was in a small building but he wasnt allowed to go in it because he 'wasnt holy enough', apparently not even the pope is not allowed in there so how do we know it's really true?

Bloodfire
Was that the program where he walked up to this random shed like building beside a field or something and there was a few guys outside with guns?

Bloodfire:

Was that the program where he walked up to this random shed like building beside a field or something and there was a few guys outside with guns?

Pyro Stick
I think it was, kinda made the whole 'quest' a joke didn't it? :hat off

Pyro Stick:

Pyro Stick
I think it was, kinda made the whole 'quest' a joke didn't it? :hat off

Bloodfire
That program was so lame. If the holy grail really was there im sure there would have been a bigger deal about it instead of just going "Ok apprently its in here but they have guns so thats the end of the program". The program about the ark of the convenant was even worse. The conclusion was that the ark was this crappy little wooden drum that was in this museum archive and that came from some african village. Heres an article on it: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1715337,00.html

cornixt:

That shed sounds like the place in Ethiopia that claims to have it but offers no proof. Iā€™ve seen it on numerous shows. Iā€™m sure most of their income comes from documentary makers filming the outside of it.

Most annoying is the Naked Archaologist, who is neither an archaologist nor naked. He would leap to completely unsupported conclusions, usually based on asking an actual archeologist ā€œYou have no proof that this isnā€™t the Temple of Solomon/body of Jesus/planet of Pandora?ā€

Bloodfire:

That program was so lame. If the holy grail really was there im sure there would have been a bigger deal about it instead of just going "Ok apprently its in here but they have guns so thats the end of the program".

Pyro Stick
Its people like that prancing around believing they're the next Indiana Jones that really annoy me, thinking they know everything about archaeology just because they've read the page of it on wikipedia :mask (sorry at uni ive been told 'on pain of death' to never use wikipedia as a resource tool), and actually trying to correct me (an archaeologist) about a topic when it's clear they habe no idea what their talking about.

Sorry bout the rant, it's all this alien and holy archaeology nonsence really drives me up the wall
Most annoying is the Naked Archaologist...

corntixt
I can't stand that show either, the opening credits when he is a lift with a belly dancer, what on earth is that do with archaeology?! oO