[Archive] Shout box?

zobo1942:

Hi,

Just thought I’d make a suggestion - have you ever visited a website that had a ‘shoutbox’ - kind of like a communal ‘chat’ window?

I’ve been to a few, and it’s a really neat way to allow members to be able to communicate more naturally with one another.

It would be interesting to see if people would be interested in that being a feature on CDO.

zobo1942

Fequiil:

yeah, i’d totaly like that!

i mean, if you mean a thing like at COTEC.

zobo1942:

Thakns for the reply.

What is COTEC? Could you post a link, so I could take a look?

Hashut’s Blessing:

On the forum page, at the bottom, it’s one of our sister sites: Chmaber Of The EverChosen.

zobo1942:

Thanks for the clarification. Sexy site - great graphics!

Yes, kind of like that, but in the other sites I’ve seen, the shoutbox is usually the width of the window (or so - much bigger than on the COTEC site) to give people more of a chance to see posts prior to them vanishing.

Still, a pretty cool idea, I think. Anyone else have any input?

Fequiil:

well, time for me to ask a link…

Xander:

Shout boxes don’t seem that much more useful than a forum thread to be honest, and seem somewhat less direct than a chat, which we have (an is never used). :stuck_out_tongue:

Fequiil:

Shout boxes don't seem that much more useful than a forum thread to be honest, and seem somewhat less direct than a chat, which we have (an is never used). :P

Xander
if i'd HOW i maybe would...:P

Alfract:

its in the links at the top of the page.

nitroglysarine:

Tried the chat, doesn’t work, error after error.

zobo1942:

I didn’t realize there was a chat - and had the same experience as nitro (above) - errors, then fail. I’d love to see it fixed, and give it a try!

nitroglysarine:

Could be a lack of java updates perhaps? my Java is ring fenced behind my firewall, never needed to update really.

zobo1942:

Well, I decided to ‘run potentially dangerous content’, allow Java through the firewall, and successfully logged in. It appears to be a shared chat with several sites.

EDIT: and now it doesn’t work. Hmmm.

EDIT; now my desktop internet connection appears completely pooched, and my laptop seems to work fine. Grrrr…

EDIT: in the words of the ‘Star Trek’ computer “PROCEDURE NOT RECOMMENDED” I just spent two hours getting network settings back into a workable form. And now, beer!