[Archive] Skull Tower of Niš

Admiral:

This Skull Tower in Serbia was raised by Ottoman troops under general Hurshi Pasha following the crushing of a revolt in 1809, where the rebel leader Stevan Sin�’eli�? in the face of certain defeat as enemies flooded the rebels’ position, ignited his gunpowder store and blew his own forces apart rather than face impalement as a punishment for rebellion. The heads of the rebels were then collected by the victorious troops, skinned, stuffed and sent to the capital, and then sent back to Niš. All in all 952 skulls were built into the facade of a mortared tower as a monumental warning to the locals to toe the line and not challenge their distant ruler. Today only 58 skulls remain in the 4,5 m high tower, the gaping sockets remaining in their neat horizontal rows.

Note the horizontal wooden beams, reminiscent of the strengthening horizontal brick or stone bands which occur at regular intervals in Medieval castle walls, inclduing in Constantinople’s iconic Theodosian city walls.

This works as an inspiration for Chaos Dwarf scenery creation. Terror tactics and monuments go hand in hand with our evil midgets, after all! Perhaps skulls, and especially Orcish skulls, could be replicated in rows by press-casting in green stuff?

[align=center][/align]

Carcearion:

Oooh! Thats an great idea! It would be so easy to make a row of skulls press stamp!

Dînadan:

Guess that explains why in 40k the Imperium covers at least 90% of each building�?Ts surface in skulls. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As for Chaos Dwarfs, I could easily imagine either the largest or at least earliest example of this made by them being at Uzkulak; off the top of my head I don�?Tt think there�?Ts ever been given an explanation for why it�?Ts called The Place of the Skull. Closest is that it�?Ts built on the Zorn Uzkul (Great Skull Land) and the Road of Skulls goes to it, so might have something to do with one/both of those, but that�?Ts just supposition. Would definitely be fitting if it�?Ts because of a monument made from the skulls of fallen foes, especially as it would probably have been established (or at least became the Dawi Zharr Capital before Zharr-Naggrund was founded) during the Chaos Incursion that sundered them from the Vanilla Dwarfs.

Enjoysrandom:

Great historical find there Admiral, these designs for Chaos Dwarves are a good idea!

Admiral:

Thanks. Uzkulak terrain needs its fair share of skulls for sure!

Perhaps one could top such skull monuments with Tjublings as statuettes, Carcearion’s icons, Chaos stars, stepped crenellations or suchlike?

Little Joe on Warseer shared some interesting scenery ideas themed on Chaos Dwarfs in response to a copy of this thread.

Threadbare:

Interesting stuff.

Found a 3d reconstuction of it

Skull Tower - historical 3D reconstruction - YouTube

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/RLLDW

Also found this

Skull Tower by onebitpixel - Thingiverse

Admiral:

Both are excellent finds, Threadbare! Thanks for sharing.

AtomTaylor:

Loving this thread. Skull fetish thing. :wink:

Dînadan:

Loving this thread. Skull fetish thing. ;)

AtomTaylor
You�?Tre thinking of Khorne.

;P

Abecedar:

another cool idea I’ll hope to incorporate somewhere.

HPN:

Well, if you happen to love skulls, there are some interesting places in Italy!

First One is Cripta dei Cappuccini in Rome.

Many rooms completely decorated in bones. Sad detail, the skeleton of the girl holding the scythe and balance on the top of the second pic, is of the daughter of the commissioner of the Cripta, died very young of illness.

Second Place is the Monumental cemetery of Fontanelle in Naples.

Countless bones ordinately piled there, coming from epidemies mainly. Fin fact here. People in the last used to “adopt” skulls, giving the offerta and keeping them clean, asking their spirits for miracles in exchange, like having a child, survive in war, heal anche hill family member, or receive lottery numbers in dreams.

If miracles happened, skull usually get a shiny new display box, otherwise sometimes the Spirit got punished turning the skull to face a wall or something similar.

There are also “powerfull” skulls there, that during the years got campus for their miracles, getting loro of offers.

During last century the Church officially forbidden the system of skulls “adoptions”,bit it’s still a nice Place to visit, impressive for its sheer size and all’ the stories you could hear from guides there.

Abecedar:

History is gruesome, brutal, sickening and inspiring. Skulls, bones and corpses have always been powerful symbols.

This Century’s (and the previous’s) detractors of how horrible we are now, forget how little we are actually removed are from barbarism.

I take what I can from all that I have seen and just try to be better than I was.