[Archive] Slave orcs, how to arm them?

tjub:

So, Im planning to sculpt some slace orcs for the Tjublings(15mm Chaos Dwarfs) as well. But not sure how to arm them.
Ill be playing Kings of War and Vanguard mainly with them, so rule wise they have Crushing(1) and Def 4+. Converted to WFB I guess its about S4 and T4 after modifiers of weapon and armor.

I was thinking of either giving them crude choppas. Mainly just chunky weapons with straight angles, chained to them. Crudely made by left of metal from our forges, or arming them with a mix of ordinary weapons. A few scimitars, hammers, spear etc. Gamewise they are very disposable troops, so Im leaning towards the first option.
No armour other than a few shields, more or less just metal slabs.

Any thoughts or suggestions? They would hopefully be available from Admiralty Miniatures some time in the future…

Skink:

Definitely crude choppas. We would want them to hurt the enemy, but also not get any strange ideas. Fool me once Black Orcs…

Uther the unhinged:

Crude chopped are good. Also you could just give them chains/ball and chain with chains tied/wrapped round their hand/arms. Big spiked gauntlets (well gauntlet is too posh, just a metal mit over the hands (can�?Tt trust em with opposable thumbs). Indeed might be an idea not to have any hands as such. Each could be encased in a metal cage/box with the weapon attached, the cages/mits/boxes could be fixed/riveted on so the orcs could not remove them. That would limit their ambition.

Zanthrax:

Why not remove the hands and replace them with choppy blades - there are always more slaves so no need for the orcs to return the mines if they survive the battle.

tjub:

Thanks for your input guys, I might try one with amputated limbs as well and see what looks best. But I came up with these, hard to get a good photo of them…
Im going for both infantry and a pig cav. Btw, I might end up shortening the handles, but didn’t want to risk making them too small. :hat off

Uther the unhinged:

I like them. Personally I prefer the blades to axes as it looks like the Tjublings have put less effort in.

I also like the design of Native American war clubs. These could be wood and metal or just rough shaped metal. I prefer the gunstock shape myself as in the link below:

Native American War Clubs Wood Print by Granger

Fuggit Khan:

Actually I kinda like the idea of slave orcs all having the exact same weapon…a simply cast but effective sword, similar to the Uruk-Hai weapons as seen in Lord of the Rings movies. Mass production of fighting arms (similar to Soviet Union wartime production) is infinitely more effective for outfitting the masses, as opposed to collecting and sorting through leftover weapons and scrap. Seems the CDs would prefer such mass production for slaves…more meat for the grinder.

Abecedar:

I think I’m with Uther and Admiral on the weapons choices