[Archive] snow bases

furrie:

I have decide to do some basing for my mortals of chaos. I know what I what for them, I want them to have a snow base, but I can’t find the articel on the GW site any more. So does any one have tips or ideas how I can create snow bases.

Sojourn:

shoot. I will try to find out the name of it. there is some paint stuff my mom used on ceramics (hey, it worked!) that may be applicable… otherwise, I think maybe white paint, glue and baking powder… baking soda? hrm, yah, I think soda… also, GW does sell some flocking stuff in white, but it’s pretty flat looking.

maybe something like this? Crafter's Touch: How to Make Artificial Snow

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

GW does sell podered snow in small tubs

Sojourn:

furrie, is this what you were looking for?

http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer40000/terrain-snowbases/1/

:slight_smile:

furrie:

yes, that was it, thanks for the help

Grimstonefire:

Don’t use baking powder unless you mix in some white acrylic paint with it when applying. It goes yellow eventually otherwise. I don’t think its that realistic compared to most snow products.

check out the hobby links here. Woodland Scenics do a good snow scatter that’s cheaper than GW (last time I checked anyway).

Kera foehunter:

I agree with grims on the baking soda it will yellow in time  

i used gw stuff and it look good

woodland scenics is good to ! But when you use the snow make sure you a lot like this! don’t cheet on the snow.

Knight Of Awsome:

It goes yellow eventually otherwise.

Grimstonefire
Who let the dog in?

I was planing on trying some snowy mountain side look to my V3 chaos dwarfs or lava and rock look, ether would look cool!

AGPO:

Using snow is a difficult one to get right. Personally, I use small clumps to represent thawing snow with my Kislevites, and large patches with only a little earth showing for my space wolves. It’s important to have some earth showing on a base (although for regiments you can go by the look of all the models ranked up instread). A flat snow base looks a bit shoddy

Sousunou:

I have found from basing experiments that either “fine” or “extra coarse” sand painted white can look like clumped snow…shame i was trying to make a rocky looking mountain ash

cornixt:

The GW snow is actually clear plastic bits, so it you want it to look good you need to have painted pure white underneath it, filling in all base holes and gaps and painting over first. It’s not forgiving like regular flock.

Deebo:

Those yellow bits could look pretty cool in patches!:slight_smile:

Kera, love your snowboardes! They are very cool.