[Archive] So are Chaos Dwarfs legal?

ErikinWest:

Hey guys. I checked the faq and it wasn’t answered there. I curious to know if CDs are still tournament legal? When will we know? Will Games Workshop tell us? I mean I assume some of you play in GW tournaments at which point they’ll have to let you know right?

Thanks,

Erik

Willmark:

At tournaments by GW: not so much. At other tournaments it depends on the organizers of the tourney. Some use the Indy GT Dwarfs of Chaos Book, some the Ravening Hordes PDF list.

Aman:

At tournaments by GW: not so much. At other tournaments it depends on the organizers of the tourney. Some use the Indy GT Dwarfs of Chaos Book, some the Ravening Hordes PDF list.

Willmark
And how does one get the Indy GT Dwarfs of Chaos book? I tried following the links at Wiki but no luck. I already have Ravening Hordes.

richard barby:

im in new zealand and generally we use the us indy list . that was made for 7th ed .it would be really nice to see a proper gw suported list.

Da Crusha:

what I do is, I ask the tournament organizer if I can use chaos dwarfs. In most tournaments, I have found that they will make an exception for me to go a head and use the chaos dwarf list. same goes for the indy GT list. I email them and ask if they will allow it.

This year I went to a GW affiliated tournament and the head judge allowed the RH chaos dwarf list.

Thommy H:

Games Workshop, as a rule, do not entertain the silly notion of “game legality”. They sell what they sell, and that’s all there is to it. There is not, nor has there ever been, a proscribed list of “legal” armies - the official rules for an army are just whatever was published last. When it comes to tournaments, final say lies with the tournament organiser, and there is no higher authority than that, so ask well ahead of time which armies will be allowed.

When it comes to games with your friends, only your opponent can decide what they’re willing to face. So discuss it with them.

Baggronor:

And how does one get the Indy GT Dwarfs of Chaos book? I tried following the links at Wiki but no luck. I already have Ravening Hordes.
On the main page.

cornixt:

They were allowed at the last GW US Ard Boyz tournament, but not the Uk turnament. There is no consistancy, even within GW themselves.

Thommy H:

That’s because the design studio have nothing whatsoever to do with organising tournaments.

Baggronor:

There is no consistancy, even within GW themselves.
Well the UK GT rules themselves change every year, and the organising team also changes every few years so its not that surprising. They have been consistent within the UK about not allowing CDs though.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Well hopefully with the new Warhammer Forge CD models coming out, that GW might realize, through sales, that people want to play CD’s. (So what we should do is save our money up and buy 5 of each model when it comes out :D)

Then hopefully they’ll re-examine the CD’s and make an army book for them.

Aman:

They were allowed at the last GW US Ard Boyz tournament, but not the Uk turnament. There is no consistancy, even within GW themselves.

cornixt
What was the date/location of this tournement?

I'm being given a hard time by a couple of people at my FLGS (non-GW) about using them for an escalation league. Granted, the lead guy is a supercilious twit who knows nada, and the store owner will probably tell him to can it. However, I'd like to have my info correct before I request authoritative intervention.

slev:

Well, Tommy was 100% correct when he wrote this:

Games Workshop, as a rule, do not entertain the silly notion of “game legality”. They sell what they sell, and that’s all there is to it. There is not, nor has there ever been, a proscribed list of “legal” armies - the official rules for an army are just whatever was published last. When it comes to tournaments, final say lies with the tournament organiser, and there is no higher authority than that, so ask well ahead of time which armies will be allowed.

When it comes to games with your friends, only your opponent can decide what they’re willing to face. So discuss it with them.

Thommy H
So the precedence of any other tournament is irrelevant. If the won’t allow the RH or GT lists, just go with the counts-as rule and move on. Idiots running leagues and tourneys are common and not with getting upset over.

cornixt:

cornixt
What was the date/location of this tournement?

Aman
That would be this year, the finals are this Sunday. here's the rulepack (it even mentions 8th edition explicitly):
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1350681a_WHArdBoyz2010Rules

Breaker17:

So would the book that Tommy H be ok to use or is that only good with your usual gaming group? Or like you guys said its up to the tournament organizer?

Thommy H:

I am 100% certain that no tournament would allow the use of my book without you squaring it with the organiser first.

Breaker17:

Alright I get that but what makes the Indy GT book ok over Tommy’s?

Thommy H:

Nothing!

Well, not really. The Indy GT book was conceived with the collaboration of the organisers of the independent North American tournament circuit. Essentially, Kevin Coleman asked them if they’d support a book that he wrote and, when they said yes, he did it. So it was written for those tournaments. When it was finished, they made good on their promise and the book was allowed for use in a selection of American tourneys. Because of this veneer of credibility and legality, it has also gained acceptance elsewhere. The Indy GT book is an excellent example of what this thread is about: it demonstrates how “legality” functions in the Warhammer metagame. It’s a fanlist like any other, but because it’s gained traction in “official” settings, a lot of people are a lot more willing to accept it in games. It has become “legal” as far as some people are concerned.

It’s a bit of an Emperor’s new clothes situation: if enough people believe it, it somehow becomes true. Because legality in Warhammer is a function of what people will allow in their games, if people allow it in their games then ipso facto it can be considered “legal”.

I’m of the opinion that you and your opponents should play with whatever rules you want, but not everyone feels that way.

Breaker17:

Thanks a bunch Tommy.  I actually really like your book over all the others so Im going to see if my local hobby shop will allow that versions use.  Your book really gave me that last push to start a CD army especially with the addition of ogres and the character Ghuz Slavetaker.  Those plus the ideas for CD ships make me want to scrap my Idea for a Kislev themed CD for a WWI style CD Navy army.  So thanks again very much Tommy, you can have the satisfaction that you have just created a new CD army to help enslave the races of the Old World. :hat off:hat off:hat off:hat off

Thommy H:

Thanks for the kind words! I hope you’ll share some photos of your army with us when it’s done, and let me know how they work out in a game if your shop lets you use my list. I uploaded a new version of my book just this evening actually - only a few small tweaks now, but it’s worth making sure you’re working from the current one.