[Archive] So I have to ask, 3rd edition really?

Willmark:

Being a big fan of 1st and 2nd I have to ask those that have played 3rd edition: How much have you played it and do you like the system?

Even better is those that have played all three, your opinions?

zobo1942:

I’ve found that later editions are better suited to being computer games as the amount of stats, etc… required when a player has a bazillion skills gets - for me, anyway - not fun.

Some believe that having that level of ‘customization’ means that a player can create the perfect character they want to play. However, I disagree - I believe that comes from the ‘roleplaying’ part of the game.

Simpler is better, in my opinion.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Well, I’ve played 2nd edition and seen some adventures from 1st edition. Recently tried out 3rd edition and it’s largely the same, just has a really strange dice system that requires you to use their dice - much prefer d100 or d20, personally. It also has an abstract method of combat positioning that is frankly confusing and takes you out of the moment - REALLY hate it: ranges of close, medium, long and extreme, but no concept of distance and it require syou to slightly exhaust yourself to get from extreme to long - do not like. I also really don’t like that you can start as a swordmaster, when somebdoy else may be just a normal soldier - doesn’t seem all that fair as there’s no downside. Also, each class has whatever equipment every other class has based on how many stat points you spend on “wealth” at the beginning and they don’t all fit each class.

It has some good points, which are mostly the artwork and some of the story arcs, but they are ultimately taken directly from elsewhere for the most part: SO much of it is flat out taken from 1st and 2nd and a lot of the artwork is also taken from the CCG.

It also doesn’t FEEL like WHFRP to me. But, I do like the “progress” system - during play certain events and behaviours may push you up or down a ladder type thing and it might track 3 or 4 things, but you don’t know what: really helps to add some urgency in when you need it. Countered by the asanine - wait, how did I forget that next point whilst I was typing it?!?!

Bottom line is that there are worse things out there, there’s a few good points, but I do. Not. Like. IT!

zobo1942:

Ah. I was thinking D&D, not WHFRP. My bad!

Obsidian Muse:

All I know about 3rd edition is hearsay, since nobody in my circle of friends cared to buy it. Don’t know if you would find it interesting or not, but Iron Liz, a reviewer of roleplaying games, once did a series on all editions of WFRP. The review on 3rd edition was split into a part one and a part two.

zobo1942:

After watching those videos, I’m really reminded how simple and elegant 1st edition D&D was. Imperfect, sure. But simple, and VERY playable.

One gripe I have with FFG products is the (sometimes) unneeded complexity - I think my copy of Arkham Horror has about a bazillion pieces, and Mansions of Madness has a ton, as well.

Willmark:

Zobo- I’m in agreement with you on FFG. 3rd edition WFRP seems needlessly complex. It reminds me of 4th edition D&D for another reason all together: it seems to have changed the basic structure of the world for no reason other then the sake of doing it.

zobo1942:

That said, I really love the production quality of FFG products.

Most of the time, I think things get changed purely for the sake of sales. “The rules have changed! Buy a new set of manuals! Maybe in this really fancy boxed set!” Everyone does this (I’m looking at you, GW) but it gets old, really fast.

One thing I’ve always loved about D&D, which I was introduced to when I was about 11 or 12 years old, is that as soon as you had the core manuals all you need is time, a couple friends, some paper and some pencils. Oh, and some imagination! It didn’t require you to shell out tons of cash to play, unlike some other games (I’m STILL looking at you, GW!). You could splurge on some new modules now and again, if you wanted to, but it was optional.

Willmark:

No arguement on FFG graphical treatments, it looks great. The issue is that to me 3rd edition WFRP is very akin to 4th edition D&D: they went off the rails for no real reason and made it different. I’m here scratching my head because there was nothing wrong with 2nd edition WFRP.