[Archive] Some interesting rumours about 8th

cornixt:

Here’s some interesting rumours I picked up recently (there were lots of others that either didn’t make sense or were boring):

Combat is fought over and over again until one side is dead or breaks, all in the same round of combat. Models in the front ranks will still be able to fight back even if the chargers have wiped out the front rank. However if the charges wipe out enough to kill the front 2 ranks those models may not fight back.

I have no idea if that is accurate or not, but they seem like a pretty interesting way of changing the game dynamic pretty significantly. You’d grind through units in combat very quickly, making combat a much more significant part of the game than shooting or magic attacks.

Da Crusha:

Here's some interesting rumours I picked up recently (there were lots of others that either didn't make sense or were boring):

Combat is fought over and over again until one side is dead or breaks, all in the same round of combat. Models in the front ranks will still be able to fight back even if the chargers have wiped out the front rank. However if the charges wipe out enough to kill the front 2 ranks those models may not fight back.

I have no idea if that is accurate or not, but they seem like a pretty interesting way of changing the game dynamic pretty significantly. You'd grind through units in combat very quickly, making combat a much more significant part of the game than shooting or magic attacks.

cornixt
oh no... if a combat is going to be entirely resolved during one round it could spell some pretty bad news for us since were not the best hand to hand fighters, also we wouldnt have the chance to hit flanks and turn the combat in our favor.

i think the game would favor combat armies and would make demons of khorne or warriors of chaos even more powerful.... seems like just a rumour to me now.

Swissdictator:

It’d also KILL any unit that relies on soft res, as it heavily favors combat orientated troops.

Plus undead would be taken from very powerful to less powerful an army of halflings… being able to raise between round of combats is what gives them a chance… otherwise their troops are VASTLY overpriced.

Edit: It’d ruin the ability to have a unit flank and save the day… as you couldn’t anymore.

Loki:

I had heard about the 2 ranks thing but not the bit where combat is on going until one side dies or breaks, that seems to be broken to me but if that is going to what happens its time for me to blow the dust off my demons of khorne army :slight_smile:

Baggronor:

I have no idea if that is accurate or not, but they seem like a pretty interesting way of changing the game dynamic pretty significantly. You'd grind through units in combat very quickly, making combat a much more significant part of the game than shooting or magic attacks.
Yeah.... Combat>magic/shooting by miles. Don't like that at all... and I play mostly combat armies. A powerful melee character could easily pay his points back in 1 turn :o
It'd also KILL any unit that relies on soft res, as it heavily favors combat orientated troops.
Ye, combats would become very one-sided in the favour of multiple-attack troops.

Fighting in 2 ranks also seems ridiculous, imagine what ASF Black Guard/Chaos Warriors/Swordmasters will do to people... 80% of 1 Attack infantry would be a total waste of space in comparison.

Sounds like they're dumbing it down like 40k :~ Sigh. Really hope these aren't true.

Bassman:

If the two ranks rule is true I do not know what is the advantage of a regiment with spears… will they fight in three ranks? And high elves in four? And Tilean pikemen in five!!!

I’d love this game if it will be more infantry combat orientated, masses of warriors clashing… :frowning: not uber powered units hanging around killing people…

Gavan Sing:

Yeah.... Combat>magic/shooting by miles. Don't like that at all... and I play mostly combat armies. A powerful melee character could easily pay his points back in 1 turn :o
It'd also KILL any unit that relies on soft res, as it heavily favors combat orientated troops.
Ye, combats would become very one-sided in the favour of multiple-attack troops.

Fighting in 2 ranks also seems ridiculous, imagine what ASF Black Guard/Chaos Warriors/Swordmasters will do to people... 80% of 1 Attack infantry would be a total waste of space in comparison.

Sounds like they're dumbing it down like 40k :~ Sigh. Really hope these aren't true.

Baggronor
I didn't hear anything about resolve combat within 1 phase.

It can still be tactical if this latest rumour turned out to be untrue. Instead of big blocks of infantries with enough wound to absorb the number of casualties only, there can be an option of big blocks accompanied by small units for redirection or flanking purpose.

Ignore the small unit at the risk of flanking or go do the small unit & risk the big unit bearing down.

Warlord Zhahak

Baggronor:

I'd love this game if it will be more infantry combat orientated, masses of warriors clashing...... not uber powered units hanging around killing people....
Well, the rumours were that they were going to give infantry a big boost; and technically this would be a big boost... for about 25% of infantry.

These are still just rumours though, so lets not get carried away.

Thorne:

hides his secret stash of High elf sowrd masters Oh yeah . 1 round of combat, Bring it on ! Nah serriously it would kill about 50% of the armies that rely upon staying the course dwarves chaos dwarves undead but to name a few, But you never know I have a bunch of old armies that would destroy most commers on that front that im keeping in there storage boxes at the momment, Never know I may even get them dusted out soon :wink:

cornixt:

Agreed that it wouldn’t work as written there. There’d have to be the opportunity of countercharges in a similar way of detachments. Getting the charge wouldn’t matter as much as being able to support the units about to enter combat. They’d be a lot more manoevring.

It seems unlikely that GW would be able to pull off anything like this without having to redo all the books.

Bassman:

Combat is fought over and over again until one side is dead or breaks, all in the same round of combat.

cornixt
If so, today I had a nightmare:

Two dwarf players (or two Chaos Dwarf players), a regiment of dwarfs, full ranked, full command, with heavy armor and shield (parry bonus) charges (!) another regiment of dwarfs, full ranked, full comand, with heavy armor and shield.

8 hours later the two players, still stuck in the same combat, without the possibility to countercharge, delete ranks, or add support to the units (because the "combat is fought over and over again"), bored to death, committe suicide because casualties were counted in two-three per hour and draws, testing with D8 (with double rolling, because they forgot battle standard bearers nearby!!!), forced them into prolonged combat forever...... :D

Extreme situation? Do not think so, a lot of situations will force to loooong combats (ok maybe not 8 hours but 30 minutes for a single combat..... my god!).

Grimstonefire:

I must admit I’ve been waiting anxiously to see what would be discussed here, as I’ve been following the discussion of 8th ed rumours for some time now and it hasn’t been pretty.

As far as rumours go, I think there would be much better ways of improving the combat mechanic than simply hacking to death in one round.

dncswlf:

wouldn’t you always have the choice not to play 8th ed rules? if you and some friends were playing… you could just play the ruleset you like… thereby avoiding any dumb rules like this… I still use 4th edition for the most part… only because I’m lazy and also because i have all the boxed stuff that came with it… ie magic system… though I am beginning to like the power dice idea over everyone getting a magic turn… but if 8th ed turns out to be bunk… don’t use it :wink:

Baggronor:

It seems unlikely that GW would be able to pull off anything like this without having to redo all the books.
Quite. Just imagine Ironbreakers vs Temple Guard... you'd be there all freaking day.

I'm sure the rumours are missing key bits of info, or are just plain wrong, as usual.

wallacer:

The most interesting rumours i’ve heard were magic shifting ahead of movement (which explains the new Beastmen default spell) and heavy cav (defined as anything with a 2+ save or better) not getting to march.

Baggronor:

The most interesting rumours i've heard were magic shifting ahead of movement (which explains the new Beastmen default spell) and heavy cav (defined as anything with a 2+ save or better) not getting to march.
Hmmmmmmmmm, raising zombies then moving them with VanHel's then they charge in the movement phase... So I raise 12" from my Vamp Lord, then they go 8" and charge 8"...Ninja Zombie strike force.... I think people would object :D

And heavy cav not getting to march? :o Since when did they need nerfing?

Grimstonefire:

I think it would be more of a case of rebalancing them against infantry, potentially also against ‘medium’ cavalry like boar boys to make them more popular.

snowblizz:

wouldn't you always have the choice not to play 8th ed rules?  if you and some friends were playing.. you could just play the ruleset you like.. thereby avoiding any dumb rules like this... 

dncswlf
Not as easy in practice anymore, people are a lot more mobile in their gaming. It destroys the biggest strength Warhammer has, you can meet people all over the world and play with pretty much the same rules.

New people will not have the old rules and you might not be able to use new armies. Though whether we'll see any seems doubtful.

There are significant pressures for people to adopt the new ruleset anytime it is introduced.

The Brain:

To be honest some friends of mine and I are thinking of switching back to 6th (the goleden age of Warhammer). Between us we have all of the army books. It just seems that since 7th came out the game is no longer all that fun and 8th does not sound any better.

Swissdictator:

To be honest some friends of mine and I are thinking of switching back to 6th (the goleden age of Warhammer). Between us we have all of the army books. It just seems that since 7th came out the game is no longer all that fun and 8th does not sound any better.

The Brain
I really have to agree here. 6th edition was amazing. I actually LOVED the old VC book, and I disliked the new one so much I have up VC in 2008 and adopted Chaos Dwarfs. Though I think Chaos Dwarfs would be much more competitive in 6th... in a good way (IE: Less nasty to deal with in terms of opposing forces).

That and I'm liking 40k more and more... the balance seems to remind me of 6th fantasy.