[Archive] Sorcerer-less armies

dedwrekka:

Now, from what I understand, a Sorcerer (or sorcerer-priest) controls a number of people underneath them, everything from other sorcerers to warriors and entire armies. Even being able to make demands on merchants or craftsmen.

So what happens with the death or stonification of that sorcerer? What happens to the armies or resources of that sorcerer when they are no more?

Thommy H:

All Chaos Dwarfs belong to a Sorcerer Lord to whom they’re related, and that would presumabley include other (lesser) Sorcerers as well. When a Sorcerer Lord dies, it stands to reason that the eldest of the Sorcerers that are bound to him would succeed and become the new master of those Chaos Dwarfs.

nitroglysarine:

failing an heir… trial by combat!?!

(cue ST fight music)

Thommy H:

It would be an incredibly lame trial by combat - two untrained old men with legs made of stone feebly swinging their magic staffs at one another. I’m not saying it wouldn’t be entertaining, but I don’t think you’d want to stake the future of a society on its outcome.

nitroglysarine:

…hmmm

perhaps they’re champions?

Thommy H:

But if they’re from the same house/clan/whatever, wouldn’t their champion be the same guy? Or at least brothers or cousins or something?

There’s nothing official about this, but my instinct says the eldest (and therefore most powerful) automatically takes control, but there’s nothing stopping one of the other Sorcerers making sure that their older relatives meet with nasty accidents before they get officially raised to Sorcerer Lord status, thus making them the oldest instead.

nitroglysarine:

okay…third thought.

Chess.

failing that DEATHBALL!

Anonymouse:

Failing that: sledgehammers at dawn!

KramDratta:

These are Chaos Dwarfs !!! Obviously they settle the argument by who can balance the biggest hat on his head !!!

dedwrekka:

All Chaos Dwarfs belong to a Sorcerer Lord to whom they're related, and that would presumabley include other (lesser) Sorcerers as well. When a Sorcerer Lord dies, it stands to reason that the eldest of the Sorcerers that are bound to him would succeed and become the new master of those Chaos Dwarfs.

Thommy H
Yes, but what happens if there are no other Sorcerers in the family?

Thommy H:

His territory (and subjects) go to the highest bidder? Maybe that’s how Ghorth rose to power…

TheWyrmLord:

Hmm…There’s always the Chaos Dwarfs warlords who run the show too…

KillCow:

Wizard fight; all skexies style. Like from that movie, The Dark Crystal. More realistically, the other priests would divine Hashuts will.