[Archive] Special characters or No?

Gunnerson:

So my local meta is pretty split down the middle. Myself and other “veterans” prefer the no SC boat, where a number of newer players and those switching from 40K feel that SCs are the primary draw to an army.

Ive noted that a number of the folks in the SC camp seem to be more of the power gamer min/max WAAC types of players. Where my self and most of the guys I prefer to play with would prefer that there be a pint and and a bowl of pretzels atop each piece of terrain just to ensure we don’t run out during a 3 hour 2.5k game (lots of bsing about the wives and do you remember when winds of magic was decided by a deck of cards…).

I do miss some of the old SCs but I remember them becoming broken and why they were dropped by our player base. On the other hand the new books seem to be pretty tame and the bosses don’t feel as broken or game changing. Should we allow for their return in local meta? Why? Why not?

rpitts2004:

I like special characters it’s a part of the game, my LGS doesn’t allow them in fantasy tournaments…

HOWEVER they allow 40k special characters, makes sense right?

Bolg:

I hate special characters. Fluffwise they are pretty cool but in game they tend to be very unbalanced. I tend to avoid tournaments that allow them and I do not face them in a friendly game.

Gunnerson:

I like special characters it's a part of the game, my LGS doesn't allow them in fantasy tournaments....

HOWEVER they allow 40k special characters, makes sense right?

rpitts2004
Thats the norm. In fanatasy there are or at least have been a number of broken special characters for som time. The new books though do seem to be fixing it. My LGS does allow them but the people that run them tend to recieve cries of cheese or ohhhh, you need a crutch. Which typically results in the player not bringing the SC a second time. I don't see it as much in the case of Throgg and others like him as these types of characters allow one to field an additional typer of army.

Gunnerson:

I _hate_ special characters. Fluffwise they are pretty cool but in game they tend to be very unbalanced. I tend to avoid tournaments that allow them and I do not face them in a friendly game.

Bolg
In my area if you want to play in a tourney you have to skip them all if you want to avoid SCs'. Normally the SCs' are left out due to public ridicule. With reguard to Friendly games IDC bring what you want, just tell me so I write up accordingly. If you bring a SC be prepared for me to bring a unit or 2 designed specificly to kill your dude.

BLOOD AXE:

I _hate_ special characters. Fluffwise they are pretty cool but in game they tend to be very unbalanced. I tend to avoid tournaments that allow them and I do not face them in a friendly game.

Bolg
I agree. I dislike special characters.

cornixt:

I don’t like them. If someone wants to use one then they get to use the model as a regular Lord or whatever., and they can give it the same name. There - you get your fluff and model, you just don’t get the awkward and overpowered special rules.

Will la tete rouge:

I don't like them. If someone wants to use one then they get to use the model as a regular Lord or whatever., and they can give it the same name. There - you get your fluff and model, you just don't get the awkward and overpowered special rules.

cornixt
With the exception of the Warriors of Chaos Special Characters and Teclis though, who is that nasty? My first army will always be Ogres and Skragg was the man - not overpowered though and still died but it made it different and fun.

Fuggit Khan:

I’m with Bolg and cornixt…I don’t like special characters. As cornixt says, go ahead and use the model itself with whatever name you want. But leave out the ‘hero-hammer’ overpowered special rules. It was the GW ‘arms race’ of special characters that killed 5th and 6th edition rules and armies. It got to the point in the mid 90’s that GW was releasing new special characters in every other issue of White Dwarf as well…to improve the game? Nope. Just for sales, every kid on the block was forking out $15 for a single model because it would win you the game. Not my kind of fun…but just my opinion.

Yodrin:

Fluff wise SC are cool, but don’t like battles with them. They seem unbalanced, and some SC in some armies are way better then others.

Jake:

I mostly play with Swedish comp, in and outside tournaments. And the Swedish comp allow special characters, but comp them after their power level (In theory at least). Has the Swedish tournament scene been drowned with special characters then? No, not in the slightest. I don’t remember ever to have met any*, but know of some being used once or twice. The Troll King, and Ghorros is what comes to mind as relatively often. None of them is particularly nasty, even though I wouldn’t mind using them myself as they are cool.

So I don’t have any problem at all with playing against (or with, although that hasn’t happened yet) Special Characters. It’s part of the game, just as any other unit, only being a 0-1 choice. If I ever played uncomped then maybe I’d change my mind, but I’m hard pressed to think of any special character right now that is too good for their points not too allow them.

*just remembered I played against Morathi last winter. That was cool.

tjub:

I dont mind facing or field them, just some extra flavor to the battle. We tend to change our armies a lot so as long as you dont field a SC in every game its OK, same as it would be boring to face the exact same army again and again. If an SC is present the army usually follows some kinda of theme…

NoisyAssassin:

I love special characters that lend a theme to an army. If people tend to only take the characters that are over-the-top and unbalanced (like Epidemius, Fateweaver, or Teclis

Goltor Lintrepide:

I like them for the fluff, but not so much in game, so … no.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I used to be very anti special character but a handful of years ago, GW said special characters are part of the game and they expect them to get used. Since then I see one pop up every now and then and I don’t find them at all terrible. Sometimes they add a bit more challenge to a game! I usually only field them in my mega battles or whatnot but I’ve become fond of them. It’s very satisfying to grind an opponent’s special character into the ground!

Skink:

No, no, and no. Too overpowered (at least some of them), they kill the fun factor.

wallacer:

To be honest, I never really liked special characters until the new Lizardmen book came out.

Now I have an uncontrollable urge to field a skink priest floating round on a Palanquin like a Slann. Go, Tetto’eko, go!!

I also rather like Tiktaq’to.

French_noodle:

Generally, i kinda like special characters in miniatures games. They give the feeling that a part of history is being played under your eyes.

Yet, i always had a problem with GW’s: they are always far too overpowered and usually erases the wicknesses of their army when played.

I liked special characters in the second version of W40k, because they were usually expensive and even when they were very powerful, they could be killed by a good sniper shot ! At least that’s how i remember them…

I don’t have issues with people playing them because i understand the pleasure they bring, but i myself usually prefer to leave them at home. Or to decide before the battle and with my opponent that we will make Yarrick face Ghazghkull, for example.

For these reasons i also think they don’t have their place in a tournament, but i don’t play in tournament, and since they are a part of the game, i understand people who does not agree with their almost systematic banishment from them.

Gunnerson:

Great discussion guys! Good pros’ and cons’

JMR:

I don’t mind special characters at all. It’s actually quite fun to see characters with a story behind them.

What I don’t like though, is when a battle is too unbalanced. Like when you get beaten not because you played badly, but because your opponent has more “unbalanced” units on the field than you do. Some special characters are a part of that, but there’s plenty of units/magic items out there that have the same effect. It’s one of the biggest flaws in Warhammer, I think.

I was under the impression though, that most special characters are generally considered to not be worth taking, because they are just not worth their points or, because they are too vulnerable due to lack of a ward save or such.