[Archive] Special Choices

Ubertechie:

What do people tend to use ?

The obvious one at 2000 points is 8 bolt throwers …

We have great core and great rare choices but i just cant see the competition in special choices - 8 bolt throwers are 240 points and seem a bit of a no-brainer (may be cheesy but dwarfs and O&G can do it - the reason they don’t is they have other good choices in the special slot.

So can anyone convince me that there are any other worthwhile choices - BTW would willingly swap 2 specials for a rare so i could have 2 units of bull centaurs and 2 EarthShakers …

metro_gnome:

2 ES and 8 BTs?.. my thats an unpleasent list…

Orc boyz are great value for your points and are my top rated special… shields, 2HWs, Big 'uns… alle iz gud…

BTs follow them… I always include 2…

Arrer boyz can be useful to protect warmachines against a flying circus or “it came from below”…

I rate them the same as sneaky gits… 2x poisioned attacks @ 5 points is still good…

death rockets are an overpriced stone thrower… with one less crew…

Blorcs are too expensive… Big 'Uns are better in all instances…

goblins just plain suck… they used to be ok as 3 point stikkas or 'ard grotz… but since 7th they are a waste of space…

Willmark:

Specials is indeed a mixed bag in our list Uber, but 8 Bolt throwers? C’mon I can smell the cheese from here.

cornixt:

Has anyone actually tried it? It seems like a bit of a waste to me, any more than 4 and you’ll have trouble getting line of sight unless you have a very big hill.

Ubertechie:

Has anyone actually tried it?  It seems like a bit of a waste to me, any more than 4 and you'll have trouble getting line of sight unless you have a very big hill.

cornixt
I have and its effective against certain armies - against others its so so but i would prefer to use something different - Orcs could be Ok but they are almost the same price as dwarf warriors once they get to be big uns with 2 HW and they have animosity to boot.

Sneaky gits would die to easily and I would rather just take blocks of 20 naked hobgoblins as Bait and Flee, nuisance, flankers as they are a lot cheaper

Just seems that we have great Rare and Core but 8 bolt throwers for 240 points is the most cost effective use of the special slots (oh and i don't believe in cheese - if its a legal choice then its viable - the group i play in are all like minded)

AGPO:

Four bolt throwers has always been the best number IMO. Remember you want to keep your opponents here, CD players must be especially careful as people will start muttering about illegal lists if you piss them off. I take blorcs because I love them, but tactically Big 'uns are better. Sneaky Gitz are underated. Use them in large numbers to take out big stuff with all those poisoned attacks

metro_gnome:

yeah… but like i was saying in the other thread…

it not about kills… it about points wastage in hunting them down…

if they manage to hit something… well that just gravy…

still 8 BTs should kill something every turn… statistically speaking…

Ubertechie:

In a game at the weekend against High Elfs - they where the sole target for my opponents 2 RBT’s and they still managed to kill 5 dragon princes and 11 spearmen.

The kills where great bit the fact that all of his shooting and a fair chunk of his magic was used to take out the bolt-throwers meant the other 1760 points of my army where left unmolested to reek havoc on the High Elfs. (blunderbusses are great fun against t3 5+ Armour save troops in blocks :slight_smile: )

I take on board the point of our list being deemed abusive but then both O&G and Dwarves can do the same

Deebo:

Why worry about specail slots? If you dont use them then you dont use them… as long as the army works and you win!

4 bolt throwers is good and then I would use the rest on blocks of units, I have been having lots of fun with fielding really large blocks of goblins/hobs so that people can smack my blokes down and I still outnumber and have 3+rank bonus! It has turned many a combat result and made some annoyed opponents and made me laugh, especially when they kill more of my guys but they run and I run them down! PRICELESS!!

Ancient History:

When I need cheap archers and lots of 'em I like to place a 40-strong unit of Goblins with shortbows…but that’s just me.

Sousunou:

Has everyone completely forgotten death rockets? I love to take them because it seems very chaos dwarfish (for lack of a better phrase). “If there is remotely any chance of something coming our way lets send a rocket at it”. and besides, rolling a misfire is funny when the rocket shoots off the full distance and misses everything, or lands dead center in a unit.

Although

a 40-strong unit of Goblins with shortbows…

ancient history
works too…

Ubertechie:

Shame we cant take Savage orc Arrer boyz (big uns) as they are fantastic multi-role troops.

I think i will try substituting another unit of blunderbusses (for a total of 3) instead of 4 of the bolt throwers - Against anything other than multi-wound models (ogres, chariots etc) they are plain fantastic especially if you manage to get a unit in the cross fire between 2 of them.

Kera foehunter:

mmmmm i like cheese. but 8 is two many . i even think 4 pushing it!!!