[Archive] Stepping into the world of Chaos Dwarves.. **Picture heavy**

grisnik:

Ok so… been seeing a lot of conversions, sculpting, and the like for a long time here… and I had a stroke of inspiration this week with trying something new… so I scupted up a Chaos Dwarf from nothing…

I used Xander’s video tutorial as a baseline, made a base out of procreate and then began to add GS on to it from there.

I think I did alright with the scalemail and beard, then butchered it with the arms and mask… but since it was my first I still think it is pretty good… also I came pretty close to the BFSP scale as well… dont have any more dwarves to convert ( traded them for Goblins but will probably buy another set later on ).

SO here are the pictures… let me know what you think…

and the comparison photo…

Again just to state… there are no GW parts at all in this model… I did the whole thing without using their parts… but instead just used photos from members here as reference where needed to make this model…

I am hoping that the next one comes out better… and I will also try to do up some Hobgoblins as well… maybe one day this will be an army… but in the meantime it is a side distration until I get more time…

Also now that I am seeing the close up photos… ( preview for the win? ) I can see that I could fix a lot more on it with the arms and near the arms… but agian for the time being this is not bad for a first attempt… I think at least…

Cheers and let me know what you think…

Zanko:

Cool… yeah  cool! :hat off

The only things/parts of the mini to remark/criticize are the arms. They seems not to be finished, they look a bit crude/unready. But beside this small point - very cool, when this is your 1st mini than I´m curious of your next attempts! :slight_smile:

:hashut

grisnik:

Thanks and yes I agree that the arms need more work… any suggestions on how to make them better? I want to make them more cloth like… will give them a shot later tomorrow I think and see what I can do…

Cheers for the quick comments though :smiley: I am also looking forward to what the second one will look like… I have built a skeleton for it as well… so will see what happens with it…

Rozmax:

Thanks and yes I agree that the arms need more work.. any suggestions on how to make them better? I want to make them more cloth like.. will give them a shot later tomorrow I think and see what I can do..

grisnik
Only one suggestion - keep work, its coming with time). take any model from GW or any over manufactur,and tray to make a copy of model hands). The helm to big,and the  beard growing from stomach.  For first sculpt it nice)!

grisnik:

Hee hee yeah the model kinda grew a bit bigger than I though he would be… but I thought it still looks ok ( cept for the mouth piece… I screwed up nicely there )… not sure what you mean by beard growing from stomach comment? I think it came out ok but wondering what you mean and how it can be fixed?

Thanks again for the comments and copying a GW model is exactly what I would like to do… but in this case I have none to copy so using members photos instead and trying to copy the size shown in the comparison photo…

Cheers

GRNDL:

I think they get the impression that the beard starts at close to what they perceive to be the belly line. The armour covers where the beard starts on his chin, and because its flat, looks like it its a chest piece, rather than beard armour. At least that’s my interpretation. I would make the mask smaller/shorter and the armour over the beard shallowerer, so its not confused as a chest plate.

For a first sculpt and first CD its an ambitious start and looks good. You’ve got a lot of definition, but the details seem a little bubbly/balloon like. It might be that you’re using the GS when its very sticky or in heavy layers. You might get more detail if you layered it up, rather than sculpting all of one thing at one time.

grisnik:

Thanks… now I understand… and yeah I think the mask/coverage was a bit big… will try to shorten it next time around…

As far as sculpting too much in one go… I didnt do too much in one go but I think the pieces are too bulky indeed…

This is great information and so quick… makes it much easier for future sculpts and conversions… thanks for this…

Kera foehunter:

that is so cool !! i love that litlle fat boy( SLAVE)

Baggronor:

Nice first effort:)

Keep up the practice, my first ones were appalling.

I would recommend an artist’s book on anatomy if you want to really get a good understanding of limbs and poses, I’m always working from mine. There are websites on anatomy and stuff that can be a big help too.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Looks great! Nice to know you’re making them out of nothng but Green Stuff and sheet styrene.

Your guy looks so…GREEN! :smiley:

grisnik:

@ Tarrakk… Actually this was completely out of GS… no styrene was used…

@ Baggronor… I will have to check out more anatomy pages and such indeed… will also have to try to use the 3 thirds rule… saw it in a pdf about sculpting… just was winging it with this model… didn’t really think I would have gone as far as I did with it to be honest… but kinda glad that I finished it all the same :smiley: though needs a bit of work still with the arms and helm, but still pretty good first try as people say…

Will be working on it and a second one today… will also be trying to check out Xanders videos if I can get access to youtube today ( Turkey blocks that site so I need to find ways around the blocking… but am looking forward to what else I can accomplish in the coming months with my sculpting :smiley:

Kera foehunter:

well try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=en&v=lh1AKcwTAlU

grisnik:

THanks Kera… turns out that the link also didn’t work but I found a thread on how to bypass the proxys and make it so that youtube is a safe site… so was able to reach it afterall… which I am happy about :smiley:

Also taking into account all the comments about the sculpt I went back over it and fixed the beard, and arms a bit more. Also fixed the mask a bit more, but still needs a bit more work to be done on it still… like shaving it down a bit to make it a bit more hard looking instead of soft roundish as it is now… plus add something like what would cover a nose maybe?

Anyways more pictures…

This showing that I do make it in layers… else the details below would have been lost :stuck_out_tongue:

Then thanks to the Xander youtube videos I started to work on my version of a Hobgoblin as well… I have a few sprues worth of the old edition Night Goblins… so can convert some of them into HBs… Here are the first pics of that adventure…

And a comparison photo beside a BFSP goblin…

Anyways… will try to get more work on the HB today… while my son sleeps… and see where this takes me…

Cheers and any more constructive comments are more than welcome here… thanks again…

Kera foehunter:

that cool your show us your prossess on your cd

i like the hob goblin that your working on too i like his kilt!!

Maul:

I like the second sculpt better. Very nice. The fist was just too bulbous and bottom-heavy. Great to have you one the site.

My only word of caution on the hobgoblins is be careful in how you design them. I am looking at doing over 9- hobgoblins all told and it can be pretty laborious at times. Good start on frame.

wallacer:

I think your green stuffing is pretty good, especially the beards and armour.

The arms are the right shape, just a bit skinny. Maybe put more green stuff on top just to bulk the arms out a bit?

grisnik:

Thanks… I think the helm design is much better as well… and easier to do…

Also thanks for the heads up on the HBs… I know they are going to be a pain… but in the meantime I think they will be ok to do a small unit of say 10 with hand weapons… not that hard to do this part… nor time consuming really… considering that most of my time right now is spent waiting for it to dry… so I can probably batch do them up…

Here is more work done on him…

I still have more to do and some tiding up as well… but looking good so far I think…

Let me know what you think… am going with the puffy sleeves/shirt look… did I get it? Also not 100% sold on the hat… Wife says its too Smurf-ish…

Cheers

astragoth:

cool, it must be hard to build a model 100% from greenstuff and get the right size and so on

grisnik:

Wow… thanks for digging up this old thread… haven’t touched them in a while due to RL issues and other projects… though I am looking at doing some more GS work on Goblins… also have been working with a mate locally on his CD project… might get more involved in that… currently converting more Dwarves, but would like to step back into full sculpts and be able to cast them without worries of retribution…

As said I am working on some Goblins… though more of an offshoot of a one off model I did for a mate at my local club… converted a model to be Santa for his Xmas Empire army ( cause the army is green, red and white and looks like Christmas throughout )… but now am thinking of doing up an XMas themed army… was going to make it with the WoC rules, but might go CD instead… if I can find the appropriate ideas for them :smiley:

Will post up some of my WIPs when they get to a photo type stage…

Cheers

Loki:

Some great green stuff work grisnik, the like the hob goblins they look ace, i hope tos ee some more of them soon :slight_smile: