[Archive] Stripping Glue and Paint

Fallen246:

Alright, a search gave me a link to this thread for stripping paint, which I think I’ll use: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3650

But alas, I’m after something I can get my hands on to also break the glue on the models themselves. From what I know, the models are plastic, and the glue is either standard super glue or plastic superglue, the ones GW sell (the guy I got the models from only used their products).

So anyone got a good tip or two for some kind of product? They’re hard to cut, and I dislike their poses greatly.

Da Crusha:

I know acetone will work to dissolve glue but I wouldn’t suggest using it on plastic minis.

Shakhorth:

Breaking fluids, let them soak in it for a couple of days.

Fallen246:

Shakhorth
Pretty sure that'd strip the paint as well, wouldn't it?

Da Crusha:

Im not sure your going to find a chemical solution while saving the paint job. I would just resort to cutting them. do you have pictures of them so we can see the problem? maybe you can cut them at the wrist or some place inconspicuous.

nitroglysarine:

I know acetone will work to dissolve glue but I wouldn't suggest using it on plastic minis.

Da Crusha
Agreed, don't make the mistake of leaving that bases in Acetone either, they'll come out like a bit of bacon fat :(

Fallen246:

Im not sure your going to find a chemical solution while saving the paint job. I would just resort to cutting them. do you have pictures of them so we can see the problem? maybe you can cut them at the wrist or some place inconspicuous.

Da Crusha
I intended to strip the paint anyways, I was just wondering if I could do both at once :P

I just need a good, tried and true solution for killing glue, but if it takes off paint as well then that's even better. I just don't want to dissolve the plastic.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Superglue: Just pull them apart and then carefully scrape it off with your clippers. Plastic glue: you have to cut because it melts the plastic and fuses it together.

Shakhorth:

Shakhorth
Pretty sure that'd strip the paint as well, wouldn't it?

Fallen246
Yes it will and don't worry about plastic. It won't be harmed.

GRNDL:

Rubbing alcohol could work out too and leave the plastic intact. Results may vary though.

Anonymouse:

Try toothpaste :stuck_out_tongue:

Or perhaps mechanics’ soap.

Inquisitor:

I would also agree that brake fluid is the best option, as it will strip paint, dissolve any anerobic adhesives such as superglue or epoxy, and not harm plastic. Please keep two things in mind:  

Brake fluid is highly carcinogenic, wear gloves, and dont immerse your hands in the container more than necessary.

Try and get Dot 3, its the best for stripping, as the chemicals used in brake fluid that make it useful for stripping are present in their highest levels opposed to Dot 4, or gm/Dot .

Mechanics soap is not advisable, as most contain abrasives that can ruin the finish on smooth surfaces

G.2:

Mechanics soap is not advisable, as most contain abrasives that can ruin the finish on smooth surfaces

Inquisitor
I would definately agree with this statement. Mechanics soap will scratch the plastic.