[Archive] Stripping Safely

Captain Crayon:

Hello Fellow Chaotic Dwarfers.

As you will probably not know, I’m a safety advisor working within the mining Industry here in Australia. I was tapping away at some boring thing today and as frequently happens my mind started wandering to more interesting things… namely our favourite toy soldiers.

While definetly not as dangerous as construction or mining, we still use sharp pointy things and various chemicals in our hobby - kinda got me thinking about what i use at home and whether or not i could use something better.

When it comes to reducing risk involved in a job, we use what’s known as the Heirachy of Controls (As Follows)

Elimination

Substitution

Engineering

Administration

PPE (Personal Protective Equipment)

Mainly I’m Writing this in regards to the various chemicals/glues etc we use, but can be adapted to anything in reality.

What got me thinking was a previous thread about stripping metal models. We all had different ways of doing it (dettol, simple green, acetone, carburettor cleaner etc) and obviously some of these are more ‘bitey’ than others.

So anyway… back to the hierachy of control…

Elimination  - Obviously the best way to remove a hazard is to remove the process associated with it. In this particular example of stripping metal models… we can eliminate the hazards associated with the substances we use by buying new/unpainted models. Granted we can’t always do this, so this is where the rest of the heirachy comes in.

Substitution - I use Carburettor Cleaner for stripping models. This comes in a pressure pack, and while very fast, is reasonably messy. I used to use Acetone, which is no longer used in nailpolish remover here, probably for a very good reason i couldnt be bothered finding out. Other people suggested the use of dettol or simple green. Dettol being an antiseptic and simple green (as i understand it) being an environmentally friendly cleaning product.

So using the lovely heirachy of control, i could substitute my carburettor cleaner for something alot less potentially harmful to me or the environment that will do the same job.

Engineering - This method of control relates to putting physical barriers between a person and the hazard, normally the installation of guarding around conveyors and the like. An engineering solution for stripping and spraying models would be to ensure we are doing it in a well ventilated area to avoid the build up of any fumes.

Administration - Paperwork. Has anyone actually looked up the Material safety data sheet (MSDS) for whatever chemical/paints they use? I know i haven’t. These sheets are obtainable from suppliers and contain detailed information on storage, how they can hurt you and first aid if you do cop it in the eyes.

Also contain handy information like how to clean it up if you spill it…

PPE - This is the last line of defence.

Preferably you’ve replaced the nasty chemical with something less nasty, use it in a ventilated area and read the MSDS.

Safety glasses/goggles, respiritory protection & gloves all come into this section and are an easy and cheap way of giving yourself that extra layer of protection.

The effects of the substances we use all have differing effects, from mild irritation to much less pleasent things like defatting of skin and dermatitis.

So it might be worth taking a look at what we use around the place, and see if we can find something less nasty that will do the same job, or if not, look at other ways we can protect ourselves from ourselves…

Sousunou:

Nice post.

I never used to bother with PPE but I have since had a few nasty run ins. Nothing serious but had a close call with a grinder and, after I had stopped bleeding, realised that I could have lost a finger.

Back on topic, I usually use brake fluid and an old toothbrush to strip metals. Just stopped to consider this after reading your post, goggles and gloves would be the bare minimum I should use.

Really can be quite scary what you do without thinking about the consequences - all fun and games until someone gets hurt, right?

Thanks for the eye opener.

:cheers

Thommy H:

Just use Dettol. It’s non-toxic (though I wouldn’t drink it…) and, apart from the smell, poses no risk of respiratory irritation. Dettol, for the uninitiated, is a cleaning product here in the UK that is used for cleaning kitchen surfaces, chopping boards, etc. In other words, it’s a disinfectant which is designed to not cause any harmful effects if you manage to ingest a little bit - it’s actually advertised as the stuff to use to clean up after and before preparing food.

Ronshank:

Acetones still in nail polish remover, I have some in mine but you have to buy the nasty cheap stuff usally from dollar shops, it doesn’t sell well. Girls stopped buying it because there’s better stuff out there and it makes your nails weak (it’s pretty harsh too, I probably got some that hadn’t been phased out yet)

This is an awesome thing to think about.

I keep my 'Hammer stuff in a large plastic tub when not in use (the 55L kind), and I’m always amazed how the fumes from the GW glue get so concentrated inside it. You just know it’s got to have some pretty full on chemicals just from the smell. Sousunou you are so right about the stuff you do when your not thinking about it. I don’t think there’s a converter on this site who hasn’t had a run in with their craft blade because they werent really thinking.

I had no idea you could use dettol on chopping boards! I just rub salt in. The rubbing alcohol I used (that was recommended too) is pretty similar to dettol in some ways. It’s not a super harsh product it even recommends putting it onto your face to stop pimples, and it got rid of the paint. I don’t think it would be a good idea to pour it down the drain though…

Thommy H:

I always use it in a fairly dilute form too. I think if I was using gallons of it I’d be a bit wary about pouring it down the sink, but a weak solution every couple of weeks isn’t going to cause any problems, I don’t think.

Time of Madness:

Just use Dettol. It's non-toxic (though I wouldn't drink it...) and, apart from the smell, poses no risk of respiratory irritation. Dettol, for the uninitiated, is a cleaning product here in the UK that is used for cleaning kitchen surfaces, chopping boards, etc. In other words, it's a disinfectant which is designed to not cause any harmful effects if you manage to ingest a little bit - it's actually advertised as the stuff to use to clean up after and before preparing food.

Thommy H
SIMPLE GREEN is a similar product to this. Basically a household cleaner that works wonders at stripping models. The best part is Simple Green is GREEN and can even be dumped down sinks when you are done with it.
Time of Madness

Captain Crayon:

i would just like to register my intense hatred for brake fluid.

I play about with cars alot and it burns us :frowning: makes my eyes water too :stuck_out_tongue:

anyway, while the best way is certainly to replace the chemicals we use with something more people & environmentallly friendly, we all have the products that give us the results we like.

definetly worth looking at what protective gear we should be wearing as a minimum i think . i preach safety all day at work, and i kinda twigged i should take a closer look at the way i do things at home :slight_smile:

slev:

Hierarchy of Control 4tW!

An essential part of any management process under HSG65.

Yeah, even though I’m an H&S rep by training, I suck at actually applying that stuff at home! It’s not just you.

G.2:

Just use Dettol. It's non-toxic (though I wouldn't drink it...)...

Thommy H
It is funny that you should say that. I remember Dettol used to advertise (on the back of the bottle), that you could actually use it as a mouth-wash. It had instructions on how to dilute it, and then use it as a mouth-wash. These instructions have now been removed. I am not sure why.

Gavan Sing:

Just as a side info, Acetone is found to be Carcinogenic & is 1 of the substance used in the manufacturing process for coccaine. so either way its not good.

For me, stripping paint off metal involve the use of paint thinner, yes its is flammable but I always use an used coffee powder glass bottle to hold the solution during the stripping process & make sure I do not shake the minis when they’re in it, I do make a point not to keep the minis in too long

Warlord Squeek

Xander:

Simple Green for the win.

Hashut’s Blessing:

G.2: It still does. At least, the bottle that I had until a few days ago did, lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Gavan Sing: Nail polisher that is acetone free will still strip them in minutes apparently.

Whole thread: See the other thread (entitled "Huh. Who would’ve thought it) and find out the safest to use :wink:

aderolee:

I used to use Acetone, which is no longer used in nail-polish remover here, probably for a very good reason I couldn’t be bothered finding out. This comes in a pressure pack, and while very fast, is reasonably messy.

Ronshank:

People are still posting so I’m going to add a link to the other thread (Huh. Who would’ve thought it) http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=7527

Just thinking maybe we could update the ‘guide to stripping plastics’ thread with the toothpaste idea as well as some of the others? It would stop some of the quiries like mine reguarding stripping and it would be useful to have more than one method for the benifit of those who live in dettol free countries. Catch is to fit into pyros idea some pics might need to be taken. I’m sure if someone PM’ed Pyro and asked real nicely he would update the first post so we can all find them…just putting the idea out there

Pyro Stick:

People are still posting so I'm going to add a link to the other thread (Huh. Who would've thought it) http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=7527

Just thinking maybe we could update the 'guide to stripping plastics' thread with the toothpaste idea as well as some of the others? It would stop some of the quiries like mine reguarding stripping and it would be useful to have more than one method for the benifit of those who live in dettol free countries. Catch is to fit into pyros idea some pics might need to be taken. I'm sure if someone PM'ed Pyro and asked real nicely he would update the first post so we can all find them....just putting the idea out there

Ronshank
I updated the first post of my dettol thread with links to this thread and the toothpaste thread. Ill make sure to update it again if any new threads appear with guides on how to strip models using alternative methods.