[Archive] suggestion

evilskull52:

i know you have painting contests and stuff but and a lot here cant win since we are newbs so can you please make some contest for newbs and let the pros and veterans judge us so we newbs can get medals and stuff please :slight_smile:

Bolg:

Just join the Brush Slave, everyone can do that and there are people from every skill level involved every month.

More info here

evilskull52:

oh thanks bro

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

G.2:

That sounds like a great idea. But I think we need to define “Newbs” a little bit, do you mean.

1. New to CDO?

2. New to Warhammer?

3. New to painting and modelling?

Also at what stage do you stop being a newb, and you become a vetren/pro? Is it measured in years, or models painted?

evilskull52:

new to painting and modelling and i dont really know how to jugde a newb i think if you should a least use the honor system at first but if you are constantly winning you shouldnt enter

but im not sure the honor system will work as it does in my rotc class since not every one has honor

Nicodemus:

I totally get the frustration. I’ve been there myself… and I believe I’ve even made a similar or related suggestion in the past. I’ll preface what I’ll say next by pointing out that you can see from my lack of contest medals, despite having entered in 2 Golden Hats and 6 Artisan’s contests, I have never won a Golden Hat or Artisan’s Contest… so I really do feel your pain. So, my two bits of input on this issue are:

1) These aren’t random draws, they’re contests where the whole community votes on the best of the best out of the entries. The winners should be viewed (and rightly-so) as good benchmarks of excellence in the hobby and perhaps provide inspiration to the rest of the community - and yes, by its nature this leaves most newbs out of the picture.

2) There are lots of other ways to acquire some bling for your profile. Some easiest examples (although the medals are all an indicator of some level of effort, which adds to their perceived ‘value’ within the community) are: Army medals (make an army list, photograph your painted/completed army, get a medal), and Image Gallery medal (post pictures of your completed models to their respective gallery, get a medal). Some of the others will take more effort, such as contributing to Word of Hashut, contributing to the wiki, and for the very-involved members we have the End of Year Awards. We haven’t recorded an episode of Chaos Dwarf Radio (CDR) in over a year (shame!!) so if you’ve got some ability and people want to listen to you, you could take up the challenge and get in contact with one of the staff to get things rolling again - the staff like to keep a hand in CDR just to help us feel we’re maintaining a certain standard. Feel free to contact me if you want to take point on CDR, I’m more than happy to lend a few hours to planning, recording and editing.

All the best, hope you continue to enjoy CDO… and don’t get discouraged… even us fogies that can’t seem to ever win a contest will still get a veteran medal - kind of like a participation badge to acknowledge that you’ve stuck it out for more than a handful of contests, regardless of your performance in the rankings!

~N

evilskull52:

dude that was really inspiring to me no joke. and i may take up your offer about the CDR i just need to now how i can do it so i will pm you when i could find the time. thank you for inspiring me.

Abecedar:

The “Brush Slave” is a great starter encouragement thingie and just enter into the “big” comps. Most of us don’t expect to win them…zzzzzz falls asleep dreaming…

vulcanologist:

Don’t get disheartened! Enter purely for fun and at least at the end of the day you will have painted something new and you will also find your skills (and painting discipline!) improve!

I actually consider myself a pretty decent painter and I’ve never placed! Maybe my style doesn’t ring everyones bells but although I end up frustrated after every competition it just makes me long for the next one and my next chance of a medal!

Keep trying and have fun!!

cornixt:

If you are no good at painting then the Artisans contest is your best bet since it varies around writing and rules sometimes.

And it isn’t always the same people that win Golden hats anyway - while some people have more than others, there is quite a spread of medals around a lot of people.

Hashut’s Blessing:

All I’ll say is that the competitions are not veterans/pros only. They are often won by the more experienced, but that experience allows them to know what works - as a result, enter the competitions to gain experience of your own and win those medals :wink:

Like Nicodemus has said, plenty of ways to earn medals - the two I can easily help you with are CDR and WoH (which I’ve just considered becoming a periodical article, instead of a full webzine - more info later if someone reminds me). On top of that, whilst you gain your experience in the competitions, you work towards the recognition of not only entering but receiving the veteran medals and working towards an army in which you can earn army medals and showcase medals.

The ways to up the bling are myriad and we’re always happy to point you in the right direction - the gist is, work hard, play hard, enjoy and, ultimately, share!

evilskull52:

We haven't recorded an episode of Chaos Dwarf Radio (CDR) in over a year (shame!!) so if you've got some ability and people want to listen to you, you could take up the challenge and get in contact with one of the staff to get things rolling again - the staff like to keep a hand in CDR just to help us feel we're maintaining a certain standard. Feel free to contact me if you want to take point on CDR, I'm more than happy to lend a few hours to planning, recording and editing.

All the best, hope you continue to enjoy CDO... and don't get discouraged... even us fogies that can't seem to ever win a contest will still get a veteran medal - kind of like a participation badge to acknowledge that you've stuck it out for more than a handful of contests, regardless of your performance in the rankings!

~N

Nicodemus
you know what thank you for the offer and i will take you up on that.

Kera foehunter:

How about a membership metal for those who has been here for 5 year!!

they give us award like this where we work

GRNDL:

You left for a year, so it’ll be awhile before you get one…

Kera foehunter:

I was thinking of you old guys :slight_smile:

cornixt:

To be honest, it would just be a huge pain to implement! This site has a lot of people, so it would be just annoying to have to add medals to so many people. Generally, if you’ve been on the site longer, you’re going to have more medals anyway!

Thommy H:

Insufficient. I require more recognition. I’ve been here for five years now too. Medal please.