[Archive] tactics advice needed

jolpis:

ok i have 28 Cd warriors model 8 Gw dwarfs models 10 blunderblussers 2 DRs 3 sorcerer/hero models and an earthshaker model whats the best tactics for a 1000 pts army?

might be able to throw in a troop of gobbos not sure tho

these models are not converted yet just need some advice about playing the army.

Ancient History:

Well, a decent army list given the models might be:

1 Chaos Dwarf Hero w/Armour of Gazrakh, Gauntlets of Bazrakk the Cruel, Great Weapon (114 points) Army General

1 Chaos Dwarf Hero w/heavy armour, Battle Standard Bearer, War Banner (114 points)

1 Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer (Level 2) w/2 Dispel Scrolls (150 points)

10 Chaos Dwarf Warriors w/full command (120 points)

8 Chaos Dwarf Warriors w/full command (102 points)

8 Chaos Dwarf Warriors w/great axes and full command (118 points)

10 Chaos Dwarf Blunderbusses w/full command (150 points)

2 Death Rockets (80 points each)

1 Earthshaker (110 points)

___

992 points

Although this is very heavy on the extras; you could easily afford some gobbos in there by sacrificing the full commands or magic items, and I would suggest it.

Strategically, I would suggest going for a line formation. This army would probably line up with the blunderbusses in the center (5x2 - 5 models per rank, 2 ranks), flanked by the two largerChaos Dwarf Warrior units (5x2), with the war machines in the rear (preferably on a small hill); the Great Axes (4x2) on one far flank led by the Army General and the Army Battle Standard Bearer joining the smaller Chaos Dwarf Warrior unit (4x2) on the other. The Sorcerer would probably be just to the right or left of the blunderbusses, where he could have a good view to cast spells.

&DDD DDDDD BBBBB $ DDDDD GGG%
DDDD DDDDD BBBBB   DDDDD GGGG
  D                        G DR         ES          DR
& → Battle Standard Bearer

% → Army General

$ → Sorcerer

D - Chaos Dwarf Warrior

B - Chaos Dwarf Blunderbuss

DR - Death Rocket

ES - Earth Shaker

The basic idea is to advance forward evenly under cover of the artillery until you engage the enemy…however, the formation is vulnerable to being flanked, or leaving the war machines exposed. On a small table, that may be less of a concern. Ideally, a unit would charge the line and then one of the units next to them would charge the flank of the attacking unit. If outnumbered - which is very likely - you might be forced into a defensive position.

jolpis:

thanks that might work out pretty good (im not closing the thread keep the advices coming) gonna try it as soon as i get into som sort of tournament

i’ll start converting as fast as i can Ps. if you have command group models in the unit can you still count em as regular infantry?

Ancient History:

if you have command group models in the unit can you still count em as regular infantry?

jolpis
Yes, see p.80 of Warhammer, Seventh Edition. The Musician and Standard Bearer fight as normal members of the unit; Champions have an additional attack but are otherwise identical to the rest of the members of the unit except they have the ability to issue and answer challenges.

jolpis:

no i mean if i dont want to pay the points for command grps but i have the models can i count em as regular infantry?

Ancient History:

Oh yeah, totally. You might want to make it exceedingly clear to your opponent, just so they don’t waste time issuing challenges when no-one can answer them or trying to capture a standard that isn’t there, but that’s all part of good sportsmanship.

jolpis:

Oh yeah, totally. You might want to make it exceedingly clear to your opponent, just so they don't waste time issuing challenges when no-one can answer them or trying to capture a standard that isn't there, but that's all part of good sportsmanship.

Ancient History
ok thanks

Ancient History:

Ah, bugger. I’m a complete moron. I just remembered that Chaos Dwarf Warriors have to be fielded in units of 10+. Looks like you’ll have to scrounge some great weapons and combine them into bigger units.

jolpis:

oki ill try to scrape a few warriors.

jolpis:

does blunderblussers count as having two hand wapons 1 hand weapon and 1 pistol/gun?

doesthat give em 2 attacks?

Ancient History:

A good question, and one which I’m not sure how to answer. It is true that handguns are counted as an extra hand weapon in melee combat, but I am unsure about whether blunderbusses qualify. You might want to post that question on the general discussion board.

jolpis:

ok will do n thanks for all the tips

Valendr:

the list Ancient History posted looks like a good one to me, but I would take the two 10 man units of warriors w/ shields and combine them into a 20 man unit. Then I would get a few units of hobgoblins in there to support your army. Handguns do not count as an extra hand weapon in combat and neither do Blunderbusses. Ancient History is thinking of pistols.

Alan the evil:

1 Chaos Dwarf Hero w/Armour of Gazrakh, Gauntlets of Bazrakk the Cruel, Great Weapon (114 points) *Army General*

1 Chaos Dwarf Hero w/heavy armour, Battle Standard Bearer, War Banner (114 points)

1 Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer (Level 2) w/2 Dispel Scrolls (150 points)

8 Chaos Dwarf Warriors w/full command (102 points)

8 Chaos Dwarf Warriors w/great axes and full command (118 points)

10 Chaos Dwarf Blunderbusses w/full command (150 points)

2 Death Rockets (80 points each)

1 Earthshaker (110 points)
___
992 points
114+114+150+120+120+102+118+150+80+80+110 = 1258 points

..or did I wrong something??

Ubertechie:

No Alan - you are correct thats a lot more than 1000 points in the list :slight_smile:

Ancient History:

Arithmetic, my dreaded foe…“oops.”

Ubertechie:

Arithmetic, my dreaded foe..."oops."

Ancient History
We all have off days ;-)

Border Reiver:

On a separate note - I personally perfer putting the War Banner with the standard bearer of a unit of Warriors. As long as the unit is still going strong, you’ve got the banner, while it can be lost much easier if carried by the BSB (he is only T4 with 2 wounds and a 5+ save at best…),

Ancient History:

A good argument, but I like the fact that the BSB, as a character, can move between units, carrying the bonus with him as needed. Of course, having the War Banner installed in a unit is 25 points cheaper than the BSB, natch.

jolpis:

here it is

““hero””

chaos dwarf hero 60pts armor of G 30pts great axe 2 =92 pts

sorcerer lvl 2 100+ dispel scroll. = 125

““core””

10 Cds with GW = 110 plus standard 120

10 cds with blunderbusses 120

13 cds 117 standard 137

13 cds 117 standard

20 hobbgobs 40 pts

"“special”"