[Archive] Tactics against Tomb Kings

Marduk:

I have been challenged by a Tomb Kings player at 2500 points.

Any advice?

Da Crusha:

I have heard they have no answers to the destroyer because there catapults and best spells are flaming. I dont have the book to verify though. I would use that and spam k’daii fireborn. use the black hammer because it is likely his flammable character will be carrying the dragonbane gem or helm making him immune to the k’daii but not the hammer.

Johnny-Crass:

They have answers to both Fireborn and Destroyers but they are reliant on magic. Shut that down and our flaming friends can walk over them. Well not Khalida but she is just bonkers good

Baggronor:

They do have Light magic, which is definitely good vs the Destroyer. The Casket can also be a threat if they 6 dice it.

In general though, LoA are an awful match up for TKs.

Expect Necropolis Knights, and lots of them if he is any good.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I have a game against Tomb Kings tomorrow and I’m taking cue thriller music the flask! His army obviously won’t panic but I’m guessing I can kill his big units of chariots, his catapult, and both caskets in one fell swoop.

Grimbold Blackhammer

RichardC1967:

maybe the Chalice of Blood and Darkness to limit his magic phase, and a couple of magma cannons and/or deathshrieker with hellbound…

Geist:

Just make sure you have the flaming banner. That and ashstorm is sad times for t4 5+ chariots. It could be a hard fight but he will really have to trick his army out.

Nurion:

Once your Destroyer gets into combat you can just sit back and relax :stuck_out_tongue:

In my last tournament i met a player with 2x flaming catapults, 2x sphinx, 3x necropolian knights, 6 chariots, casket, lvl 4 tk lore, prince, some archers and chaff. My destroyer ended up in a fight vs 2x sphinx and 3x necropolian knights. After 3 game turns they were all dead and my destroyer didn’t even take a wound. Chariots allso charged him near the end, just to be smashed into tiny pieces.

The only threat he had was his casket, but with ld10 before getting into combat since he was near my prophet and 4+ ward he’s not easy to kill with casket either.

Magma cannon can allso woop out some real nasty dmg vs his chariots! Deathshrieker with reroll to take out his catapults! :smiley:

Marduk:

Thanks to all for your comments. He is going to tailor his army to fight Chaos Dwarfs so I am hoping to do the same.

Do the catapults have flaming attacks by default or is it an option? If they are always flaming, there’s little to fear from them.

The flask sounds like a really powerful item against them. It is very likely that he will field lots of chariots. But I would need a lord on bale taurus to carry it and take it close enough to the units I want to target. How could I protect the lord if all the magic item points go on the flask?

If they are very reliant on magic, the Chalice of Blood and Darkness also seems very useful.

RichardC1967:

Thanks to all for your comments. He is going to tailor his army to fight Chaos Dwarfs so I am hoping to do the same.

Do the catapults have flaming attacks by default or is it an option? If they are always flaming, there's little to fear from them.

The flask sounds like a really powerful item against them. It is very likely that he will field lots of chariots. But I would need a lord on bale taurus to carry it and take it close enough to the units I want to target. How could I protect the lord if all the magic item points go on the flask?

If they are very reliant on magic, the Chalice of Blood and Darkness also seems very useful.

Marduk
forget the flask..just give your general the typical set-up(enchanted shield, Chalice, and talisman of preservation) and stick him in a 28 man unit of IG along with the BSB Castellan(mask of furnace, ironcurse icon(6+ ward save against warmachines also applies to unit he is in), and luckstone or dawnstone)..play a defensive game and use the Destroyer and warmachines(hellbound) to wear down the TK units and make him come to you, use 2 units of 20 hobgobs with bows, or another large unit of IG's with blunderbuss and stick them in front(or on the Flanks) of your unit with the Sorceror Prophet or maybe even a large 40+ unit of Hobgobs as a buffer, try to catch his chariots or large units in a crossfire between the warmachines and bow/blunderbuss fire,you'll do most of the damage in the shooting phase(after appropriately using magic to weaken his units with ash storm or whatever)..maybe try to fit a unit of Bull Centaurs or maybe a khan on wolf to divert charges or slow them down.Also don't forget your deamonsmith sorceror with fire magic babysitting your warmachines for the re-rolls and extra magic attack(give him a dispel scroll too, and charmed shield or shield of Ptolos)

Hashup:

I play Tomb Kings as well as chaos dwarfs and I will readily admit that your opponent is in for an uphill battle. First off, his army can’t march, so as long as you shut down his movement spell he will have to very slowly walk towards you. Deploy close to the back edge to prevent entombed beneath the sand units from interfering with your war machines and you’ll have an eternity to shoot him.

Proceed to obliterate him with your war machines, targeting the casket of souls early. A deathshrieker rocket targeting his heirophants bunker of what will likely be skeleton archers will remove it and potentially damage the heirophant in the process until he’s all alone. Once you kill that guy his army will fall apart due to crumble.

Magma cannons will wreck his chariots, and dreadquakes/hellcannons will kill his sphinxs with ease. Like Baggronor said, it’s a rough match up for the Tomb Kings!

Marduk:

I play Tomb Kings as well as chaos dwarfs and I will readily admit that your opponent is in for an uphill battle.  First off, his army can't march, so as long as you shut down his movement spell he will have to very slowly walk towards you.  Deploy close to the back edge to prevent entombed beneath the sand units from interfering with your war machines and you'll have an eternity to shoot him.  

Proceed to obliterate him with your war machines, targeting the casket of souls early.  A deathshrieker rocket targeting his heirophants bunker of what will likely be skeleton archers will remove it and potentially damage the heirophant in the process until he's all alone.  Once you kill that guy his army will fall apart due to crumble.

Magma cannons will wreck his chariots, and dreadquakes/hellcannons will kill his sphinxs with ease.  Like Baggronor said, it's a rough match up for the Tomb Kings!

Hashup
I am feeling sorry for my friend already. As soon as I find the time, I'll write a list and post it for comments. Thanks.

Singleton Mosby:

My blunderbusses wreaked absolute havoc with my TK opponent’s army. I had 30 of them and they killed three big monsters and them fought a horde of grave guards to à standstil before wiping them out.

The Destroyer was well worth its points as well.

Da Crusha:

@Marduk: have you played the game yet?

Mad Dave:

Quick question. are the tomb king cavelry Units Immune to stomp or thunder stomp might be a silly question i know. But my Iron daemon got held up by them in my last game and the bloke i played said his units are immune to it which i thought was really strange and i wasent able to check his rule book as he didnt have and i let it go as i didnt want to start a argument.

Da Crusha:

he was right. only infantry, war beasts and swarms are stompable. thats the biggest problem with iron deamon and skullcrackers. the rule is found in the main rulebook under stomp.

Mad Dave:

at least the rule was played right then i don’t mind that i lost now :slight_smile: im still learning the rules so oh well . on the plus side my destroyer did smash his tomb king mwu hahaha.

Blackspine:

Sheer number of shots will wear out the Sphinxes/ t8 monsters.

Even a few hobgobos can get a few sixes vs the Sphinxes, and as Animated Constructs (scorpions, sphinx,titans, sepulcher) they have a 4+ armor save.

You can save the nasty shooting for the other units.

The necropolis knights and Sepulcher Stalkers are the only ones that pose a significant threat to you. I believe, (don’t quote or nerd-rage if I’m wrong) that the stalkers have a ‘gaze’ attack. it’s artillery die worth of shots. These wound or hit v a target’s Initiative. that’s a crap ton of hits/ wounds. I’ve watched (with a smug grin) as Ogres get deleted by these attacks.

You can take these out with a magma cannon easily though.

Most of the usual TK tricks are moot or impotent vs. you. The Casket targets LD, and with ld 9/10, you’re pretty solid. Add in a bsb, and you’re not going anywhere anytime soon.

The golden mask of something something won’t affect you either. High LD is the bane of much of this stuff.

TK will have a pretty high WS with ‘thy will be done’, so if you can boost yours (hatred) or reduce theirs (miasma via lammassu) , it will help.

I wouldn’t suggest the Lammasu, as the TK often have archers, and lots of them. Arrows of asph are a pain, but with high T and armor save, you’re ok.

- remember that they DO NOT have long bows. only 24 " shooting for them.-

- arrows of asph ARE affected by BS. They hit on their BS, no penalties. You drop their BS, they hit lower-

The sphinxes thundercrush hits vs the highest WS in base to base. You can make way with a Castellan/ higher WS to make a smaller chance of hitting…but then you’re opening up the gates to be hit by the KB’s on top. (catch 22)

the casket can kill a lot of things, or wounds. it will blow up with the ‘indiana jones’ rule when you kill it, potentially wiping out many of his back rank units. If you can suicide khans/ Bull Centaur Taruk (they have 2 KB attacks) it could do some serious damage.

The necro-titan, supplies d3 extra to ANY spell cast (friendly) within 6 or 12" (i forget). If you do take a Dshrieker, take this guy out.

Ash storm on the Heirophant’s unit will keep magic very tame. They can’t cast out, can’t raise the units, and can’t use magic to march or double/tap/ attack.

Be wary of the Killing blow units. Tomb guard will eat your IG for breakfast. Take them on from afar or just send in the HG to destroy them…or the Kadaai.

good luck man

Marduk:

@Marduk: have you played the game yet?

Da Crusha
Long story:

This guy bought his TK a couple of months ago. He's practicing in anticipation of the challenge (HE challenged me). He asked me to give him a few weeks to get ready.

Meanwhile, this group of players is playing a series of games without magic. This was an idea that someone suggested after having played a long campaign with lots of magic (Blood in the Badlands).

Last weekend I was supposed to play against High Elves (no magic). He had asked me not to play with Chaos Dwarfs because he likes to study his opponent throughly and he doesn't have Tamurkhan. He warned me that he was making a "killer army" and said something that in English would be translated as "Bring it on!" or something. I wrote a very powerful list with Dwarfs, but the High Elves player didn't come and I ended up playing against the Tomb Kings guy with my Dwarf list (actually, it was an alliance of two Dwarfs against Tomb Kings and Wood Elves).

The results was a total massacre, even though I deployed right on the inside edge of my deployment zone.

He was a little bit shocked. I think he's going to put away his Tomb Kings for a while and return to one of his stronger lists.