[Archive] the ashes **This message was automatically appended because it was too short.**

richard barby:

warne and hussey together after bollinger opened and johnson out

richard barby
Relaying secret orders to the French resistance are you?

snowblizz
not at all but if you dont know anything about cricket you will never get it. However if you do know about cricket you will find it very funny

snowblizz:

warne and hussey together after bollinger opened and johnson out

richard barby
Relaying secret orders to the French resistance are you?

snowblizz
not at all but if you dont know anything about cricket you will never get it. However if you do know about cricket you will find it very funny

richard barby
I think you can guess which category I fall into.:hat off

richard barby:

that would be the not knowing much about cricket group

however i will explaine some of it to you

shaine warne played cricket for aussie and is there best ever bowler and the baine of the english. after england going 1-0 up there was talk of bringing him back for the next game some of the other aussie players are

hussy. also a name for a loose woman

johnson. also a name for your junk

bollinger. also fancy champaine

bit of a play on words

snowblizz:

bit of a play on words

richard barby
That actually made sense. I loled a little.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Funny once you get the joke!

Well, the Queen of England is also the Queen of Canada. As for the lyrics of the song, it would just revert to the old ones of “God Save The King”.

But what they should really do is bring back Jake the Peg and use him as the Wicket. :smiley:

nitroglysarine:

It is handy that king and queen both have only one syllable, otherwise it would be a nightmare for the national anthem if a monarch switches.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Hmmm…King, Queen, Duke, Earl, Lord…the only place where this screws up is “God Save The Lady”, which could become a Jazz hit done in 5/4.

Would anyone sing “God Save The Duke”?

nitroglysarine:

I would! as long as it is Duke Nukem!

HAIL TO THE KING BABY!!

cornixt:

I think it is a rather dull national anthem. I think Land of Hope and Glory would have been much better, but that seems to have been co-opted by just the English sports teams now, so the non-English would get annoyed by it as yet more English imperialism. Or something.

AGPO:

I’d go for ‘I vow to thee my country’ which is properly stirring. My old rugby team had it as our touring song and it always got us really fired up.

nitroglysarine:

A great national anthem:- Zippity Do-Dah - as preformed by Portishead

nitroglysarine:

Also the Welsh national anthem is different from the English anthem, I far prefer it, it has a bearing on me, the English one is dreary.

The land of my fathers is dear unto me,
Old land where the minstrels are honoured and free:
Its warring defenders, so gallant and brave,
For freedom their life’s blood they gave
Land!,Land!,True I am to my land!
While seas secure,
this land so pure,
o may our old language endure.
O land of the mountains, the bard’s paradise,
Whose precipice, valleys lone as the skies,
Green murmuring forest, far echoing flood
Fire the fancy and quicken the blood
For tho’ the fierce foeman has ravaged your realm,
The old speech of Wales he cannot o’erwhelm,
Our passionate poets to silence command
Or banish the harp from your strand.
And the Welsh language version is here:- Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau - Wikipedia

I rather like the lyrics, its hardy a surprise that Wales is called the land of poets.

AGPO:

Nitro is right, but I must add that if you haven’t heard Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau sung by a packed Millenium Stadium or Cardiff Arms Park then you haven’t heard it at all. Also, the English don’t have an anthem, they use the British/Commonwealth one at most sporting events.

nitroglysarine:

True about the English/Commonwealth anthem, but us in Wales call it the “English National Anthem” as more of a way of disconnecting it from Wales.

Willmark:

Well ours is based off a old English drinking song so go figure.

nitroglysarine:

Well ours is based off a old English drinking song so go figure.

Willmark
Really? lol.
We should charge royalties!

AGPO:

For sheer balls-out xenophobia and brute sadistic violence set to a jolly tune, I think the French win every time.

snowblizz:

For sheer balls-out xenophobia and brute sadistic violence set to a jolly tune, I think the French win every time.

AGPO
Indeed. But as one of my favourite authors noted, "it used to work much better, nowadays noone understands French so it doesn't really matter what they say".

The Soviet national anthem had a catchy tune as well, but I refuse to like that on principle.

AGPO:

snowblizz, the Internationale is the anthem of a lot of other organisations, find one you like and ingnore the Soviet connection

snowblizz:

snowblizz, the Internationale is the anthem of a lot of other organisations, find one you like and ingnore the Soviet connection

AGPO
I was talking about a totally different tune my man. Though it seems *both* have been the anthem. The Internationale 1922-1944 and the "new" one 1944 to 1991. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hymn_of_the_Soviet_Union
It was the second one I was thinking about though the Internationale is also fairly catchy. And FWIW I consider ANYONE using the Internationale as an anthem to be suspect. An anathema if you'll forgive the pun. :hat off

I wonder if this makes this a political thread. Is that the mods running here with a big padlock. No?