[Archive] the ashes **This message was automatically appended because it was too short.**

richard barby:

the sweaty socks anthems a bit xenophobic or to be fair anti english

and by sweaty socks i mean soctland

Willmark:

I wonder if this makes this a political thread. Is that the mods running here with a big padlock. No?

snowblizz
At least not yet, but we are watching...

richard barby:

i would go back to the ashes but at 5 for 98 i want to give it a miss . but you see what happens when i get smart about something

lord marcus:

Can someone explain what the “ashes” are? my austrailian friend is depressed and won’t tell me.

richard barby:

bloody cricket next time im keeping quite till we are safe

snowblizz:

Can someone explain what the "ashes" are? my austrailian friend is depressed and won't tell me.

lord marcus
The "Ashes" is a set of friendly (in the same way drunk knife fights between football hooligans are friendly) cricket games between England and Australia. The name comes from at some point in time the English team being defeated by the Australians. At this time this was the equivalent of, hmmm the Soviet National Hockey Team of the 80s loosing to the Zanzibar Junior Hockey club (not an actual team AFAIK).

The English press declared that English crickets was "in ashes". Someone introduce some actual ashes in a cup and they play for it every year (well regularly at least). It's not entirely accurate but something along these lines. Yeah, I've learned stuff since they switched CNN for BBC World. I'm pretty close for layman right?
Read more here (yes I wrote the above before getting the link, yes I know maybe not the correct order to do so):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_ashes
I wonder if this makes this a political thread. Is that the mods running here with a big padlock. No?

snowblizz
At least not yet, but we are watching...

Willmark
Ha-ha! I realised while posting that discussing national anthems veers very close to politics. That is after all their purpose.
i would go back to the ashes but at 5 for 98 i want to give it a miss

richard barby
Give it a miss? Sounds like the England team did a lot of that. Assuming "5 for 98" is bad. Sounds like it though.

richard barby:

ashes locked away for another 2 years job done sadly time for the english press to go overbored with how good they where. but very satisfing all the same

Abecedar:

Oh dear, Oh Dear, Oh Dear. It’s just not cricket, its a blooming shambles.

snowblizz:

So, shall we say that Australian cricket is dead and the ashes needs to be buried?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Abecedar:

So, shall we say that Australian cricket is dead and the ashes needs to be buried?

snowblizz
No don't bother, .. some tragic would just dig'em up again.

Well Richard... You'se is better at cricket than us. But we are better at soccer, Hang on no we're not. Rugby? well I wouldn't have a clue. There must be something. .. Thinking .. Thinking. Ah Ha I have It. We're better at making beer and getting Sun Burnt ( well only a maybe on the sunburn, Poms are a bit pallid after all)

Kered:

Th ashes them selves are the remains of a cricket stump burnt in Melbourne Australia to symbolize “the death of English cricket”.

AGPO:

Can someone explain what the "ashes" are? my austrailian friend is depressed and won't tell me.

lord marcus
In 1882 after a particularly depressing match, in which the English once again snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, the press printed a mock obituary:
In Affectionate Remembrance
of
ENGLISH CRICKET,
which died at the Oval
on
29th AUGUST 1882,
Deeply lamented by a large circle of sorrowing
friends and acquaintances

R.I.P.

N.B.�?"The body will be cremated and the
ashes taken to Australia.

Sporting Times
Since then, every Test series between England and Australia has been played for 'the Ashes' a tiny terracota urn made as a joke after the obituary became famous. It is the fiercest rivalry in cricket, with the possible exception of India vs. Pakistan. The actual urn is over 100 years old and is kept safe in the museum at Lord's, the Home of Cricket.

Until recently Australia were the undisputed best team in the world, and England's record against them was, shall we say, less than good. In the last few years however their great team has started to come apart and England have won three of the last four series, the most recent of which was an abject humiliation for the Aussies.

richard barby:

snowblizz
No don't bother, .. some tragic would just dig'em up again.

Well Richard...  You'se is better at cricket than us.  But we are better at soccer,  Hang on no we're not.  Rugby? well I wouldn't have a clue.  There must be something.  ..  Thinking ..  Thinking.  Ah Ha I have It.  We're better at making beer and getting Sun Burnt ( well only a maybe on the sunburn, Poms are a bit pallid after all)

Abecedar
better at making beer your a dreamer or a joker maybe both your beer and larger beers in general are so cold they kill the taste warm beers all the way

snowblizz:

Well Richard...  You'se is better at cricket than us.  But we are better at soccer,  Hang on no we're not.  Rugby? well I wouldn't have a clue.  There must be something.  ..  Thinking ..  Thinking.  Ah Ha I have It.  We're better at making beer and getting Sun Burnt ( well only a maybe on the sunburn, Poms are a bit pallid after all)

Abecedar
better at making beer your a dreamer or a joker maybe both your beer and larger beers in general are so cold they kill the taste warm beers all the way

richard barby
For a moment there I was wondering why two Aussies were arguing about whose beer was worse... then I checked a bit closer. You know, you all look alike...;P

For the record, these boards are filled with Europeans, don't even bother brining up that "beer" from down under. We are not impressed. Any second now you'll inspire some American to embarrass themselves by trying to get in on the discussion.:cheers

nitroglysarine:

To throw a cog into the works… I don’t even like beer! I’m a cyder/cider fan

cornixt:

The US has a lot of very good microbreweries, but I think that 95% of sales still go to the awful brown water. The biggest good brewery is Sam Adams, anything bigger than that is downright awful.

snowblizz:

To throw a cog into the works.... I don't even like beer! I'm a cyder/cider fan

nitroglysarine
Hey, me neither! Can't drink that swill (I'm also a cider fan), but that doesn't stop me complaining how bad others' beers are.:D

I have friend who maintains there only exists one type of beer. Guiness.

Abecedar:

nitroglysarine
Hey, me neither! Can't drink that swill (I'm also a cider fan), but that doesn't stop me complaining how bad others' beers are.

snowblizz
Ah Thank You! that has started my day with a chuckle. Being refuted by critters with apples for brains ... always good for a laugh.

richard barby:

nitroglysarine
Hey, me neither! Can't drink that swill (I'm also a cider fan), but that doesn't stop me complaining how bad others' beers are.:D

I have friend who maintains there only exists one type of beer. Guiness.

snowblizz
thats a food not a beer