[Archive] The Daemonsmith's Handbook - Magma Cannon

eudaimon:

I think it is quite simple, that really everyone agrees, and that there is just some misunderstanding of what people are saying.

I think everyone agrees that you only hit what is under the template AFTER you have rolled the “overshoot” part. The only thing people are confusing is your own personal play style to establish that.

Personally I put the flame template down on a ranked unit so that it covers the first rank and just a fraction of the second. I declare that I am aiming 2" short of the back of where the template currently is (in other words, if I roll a 2 on the dice, the template stays in place). Then I roll the dice and move the template forward (or not, if I roll a 2). So if I roll a 6, I move the template forward 4". Then, and only then, do I count the models covered by the template.

Anyway, back on topic, I see magma cannons as almost essential in the list. We have 3 tools to deal with monstrous infantry and cav effectively. The first is magic - mostly Flames of Azgorh. I once deleted an entire Gutstar (left some characters) on turn 1 with an irresistible cast and no scatter. Nice (nb. ofc against ogres Purple Sun will do a similar job, but it is less effective against higher I armies). The second is the K’daii, but fighting monstrous stuff can be a bad target for the K’daii, as you don’t get thunder stomp and your flaming hits will generally not do much damage, also they tend to have higher strength multiple attacks to whittle down the wounds. That is where the magma cannon comes in. Str 5, armour piercing, d3 wounds. Its almost purpose built to kill monstrous stuff.

Geist:

Magma cannon is bread and butter winner, it smokes em. I always take two, just for crowd control. I dont have to delete a unit, just make it so I dont have to bother with it in combat latter. The only hold back to them is you can’t do damage to heavy cav with them.

As to firing the magma cannon, its very simple.

1 pick a point up to 24 inches away.

2 place a marker

3 roll arty dice

4 place end of template x inches foreward where x = number rolled on arty dice.

5 anything under template at this current location is what is hit.

Jasko:

As to firing the magma cannon, its very simple.
1 pick a point up to 24 inches away.
2 place a marker
3 roll arty dice
4 place end of template x inches foreward where x = number rolled on arty dice.
5 anything under template at this current location is what is hit.

Geist
Obviously. Don't understand where the confusion came from. It's clearly written like that in Tamurkhan. "[..] using the usual procedure for firing a cannon [...], except that instead of rolling to 'bounce' the shot, instead place the teardrop-shaped template