[Archive] The Daemonsmith's Handbook - Siege Giant

Nicodemus:

Week 9: Siege Giant

Welcome to the ninth chapter in the Daemonsmith’s Handbook! Please post your tips and tactics for the Siege Giant here.

Some suggested topics for discussion:

- Deployment

- Tactics

- Upgrade options

- Usability and effectiveness vs. other choices for the army.

propervillanz:

Tired of massed arrow fire taking down your giant, well this is the unit for you. I like these guys, but when stacked up against a Destroyer or Hellcannon i will take the latter choices hands down.

In battles where building are fair game these guys really shine. All in all, if i would take one of these guys over a normal giant and not because of the armor, but the special attacks.

You have to play these guys aggressive/smart. Terrain that blocks line of sight is your friend. As well as Anvil units. All in all, you want to have these guys clearing chaff and charging infantry units.

Runes of Hate are a must with these guys to potentially get the most out of them. Oh, and they have a great synergy with Iron Deamons. Have the Iron Deamon hit a unit and hold it up and send in the Giant to really put a hurting on said unit.

eudaimon:

Aren’t Runes of Hate the most irrelevant thing in the book (and probably mis worded)? From memory, (book not with me) you get frenzy, which is only a bad thing for a giant as you don’t get the +1 attack. In addition, you may re-roll your number of attacks. But actually, there are hardly any results on the random attack table where you roll a random number of attacks.

Back to the giant, there is unfortunately no place in the list for him. As mentioned, the HC or Destroyer do things better. He is sadly just too random to work. I have had a couple of good stories with mine when I tried him, I killed my opponents HC (he was playing warriors) with a leg breaker in one turn of combat, but that is about it. Mostly he has been terrible and just costs me points.

moogoodoo:

ok so whats happend when is the next one of these out i have really enjoyed reading these shame to stop now

klemanius:

Runes of Hate are fantastic for what he is intended to do.

"But actually, there are hardly any results on the random attack table where you roll a random number of attacks"

The only one that matters. Smash with pick. RoH more or less guarantees that building is going down.

To get the most out of this guy you have to count on the fact that he can smash through buildings.

I’ve had opponents who have slapped down a whole manor house smack bang in the front of the middle of my deployment only to watch bemused as I wall of half the table with the rest of the buildings I always seem to somehow roll up. (I’m not kidding I’ve rolled up games that had 18 buildings on them, yes it is possible!)

They then set up for a strong flank attack only to watch in horror as the manor goes down and they find what was once a safe flank suddenly turn into a huge blind spot to be capitalized on by fast moving units like the Destroyer, bull centaurs or skullcrackers that they believed I was holding as a reserve.

Also:

I’m not sure on this, but as it is attacking the building a combat between a Siege Giant and a building follows the standard rules for charging and thus you can overrun from the combat, potentially straight into a unit. You might even be able to overrun into a unit that previously occupied the building (but that, I’ll admit is rather debatable). I can’t find anything to say you can’t, but it’s possible its hiding in the main rulebook somewhere.

While a very situational tactic it is certainly something to think about.

Geist:

Siege giant, who?

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Johnny-Crass:

I run one and must say he is beyond fantastic. Runes of Hate is the best 25 points you will ever spend as it allows him to reroll his thunderstomp as well. Toss him into a infantry or cav unit and watch him tear it to shreds

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Where are the rules for tearing down buildings??

Da Crusha:

Where are the rules for tearing down buildings??

Grimbold Blackhammer
you have to use the rules on page 202 of the Tamurkhan book and know the building rules from the main rulebook. it's actually pretty neat and Im contemplating adding him to my army to fight alongside the destroyer.

Johnny-Crass:

That is what I do! And nothing is better than destroying the watch tower in the watch tower mission and just laugh as it turns into a very close in your face punch fest

Ceann Fine:

Hmm after reading this I may have to look at running one