[Archive] The End Times: Khaine and the Lamassu

Odatria:

It’s just something I’ve been contemplating as I’ve just night a raging heroes Lamassu but having never used it before, usually sticking to my Bale Taurus if mounted. Then I remembered the changes just made to the magic phase, essentially making the Lamassu now loremaster Shadow, mounted by a loremaster Fire / Death / Metal / Hashut.

For those who don’t know the changes are essentially as follows,

- if either player wants to use end times magic rules they are in effect.

- All wizards know all spells from the lores they generate their spells from.

- Wizards with loremaster now reroll failed casting attempts.

- roll 4d6 power dice with no upper limit of 12, highest 2d6 for dispel player.

- must roll a d6 before casting a spell to see how many power dice you can throw (1 to 6).

- same for dispel player, roll a d6 for how many you can attempt a dispel with.

- spells below 15+ to cast can be cast repeatedly each phase, until an attempt fails.

- broken concentration is gone, so after failing to cast just pick another spell.

- Some new end times spells, which cannot be dispelled. Looks like only Hashut didn’t get one.

I’m going to give the Lamassu a go now and see how it does. What do you think?

Lamassu side how do you think magic will now be affected for us in particular?

Veshnakar:

It's just something I've been contemplating as I've just night a raging heroes Lamassu but having never used it before, usually sticking to my Bale Taurus if mounted. Then I remembered the changes just made to the magic phase, essentially making the Lamassu now loremaster Shadow, mounted by a loremaster Fire / Death / Metal / Hashut.

For those who don't know the changes are essentially as follows,
- if either player wants to use end times magic rules they are in effect.
- All wizards know all spells from the lores they generate their spells from.
- Wizards with loremaster now reroll failed casting attempts.
- roll 4d6 power dice with no upper limit of 12, highest 2d6 for dispel player.
- must roll a d6 before casting a spell to see how many power dice you can throw (1 to 6).
- same for dispel player, roll a d6 for how many you can attempt a dispel with.
- spells below 15+ to cast can be cast repeatedly each phase, until an attempt fails.
- broken concentration is gone, so after failing to cast just pick another spell.
- Some new end times spells, which cannot be dispelled. Looks like only Hashut didn't get one.

I'm going to give the Lamassu a go now and see how it does. What do you think?

Lamassu side how do you think magic will now be affected for us in particular?

Odatria
I considered this myself but I like the breath weapon on the bale taurus and the extra combat potential as well. Still, it would be nice having a loremaster of shadow for that mindrazor goodness on infernal guard.

Honestly though, I have played a few games with the new magic rules and it is crazy fun! I am head over heels in love with Lore of Fire now though. We play 3000 points and I use a Sorcerer Prophet on Bale Taurus and it's a riot.

He's loremaster so it guarantees flaming sword and firecloak so he can heal the bale taurus at his leisure. Also machine gunning fireballs getting +D3 to cast helps a lot too. And finally last but not least, the end times fire spell is ABSURD for us.

We are talking about the WHOLE enemy army being flammable and we get to reroll wounds for all flaming attacks. I put banner of eternal flame on my big fireglaive block with BSB, so they get rerolls to wound for all shooting and combat. Kdaai and taurus all get rerolls. The flame cannon and deathshrieker get them too. And any unit hit gets double wounded.

Not to mention the penalties for charging, fleeing, and pursuit. Withering heat is just so dang nice for chaos dwarfs.

Malorndk:

Awesome tactic Veshnakar! Will try it out!

Remember tha Lammasu can take a breath weapon as well.It’s an upgrade from Storm of magic

Odatria:

I played a game against lizardmen and ogres today my 2400 against their 1200 each, testing out the new magic rules for the first time. I was running a lvl4 with Hashut on a lvl1 Shadow Lammasu, with two lvl1 Fire daemonsmiths sitting with the warmachines. My opponents had a Slann with Life and a Firebelly. Unfortunately we didn’t finish the game due to time running out, but the turns we did get through were good fun. I liked the Lammasu, it took a lot of magical hits but shrugged them off even as the Prophet was killed in turn 3. I found it most useful lowering the strength of ogre units with enfeebling for, giving me back the edge in combat. I think a Death Lammasu would be good with a Hashut rider, to repeatedly cast doom and darkness and dark subjugation on a unit to remove it’s leadership.