[Archive] The future of the Brush Slave Painting Challenge (read post #35)

clam:

...people that don't involve themselves in BS - probably won't participate in polls about it either.

clam
I not sure. I think that is a lot easier to vote than to enter a painting event.

G.2
Sorry, what I meant was if only the people that enters BS want to participate in the discussions about its future, well, I find it hard seeing what I'll get fom a poll.
So, it just looks like that the other 2500+ members don't really care that much. Will take that into account wheater I'll invest the time and money to run it again next year.

clam
If it would make your life easier maybe the rest of us regular BS painters can assist in running the event. I for one would be happy to help out. But if you are over it, and it is not what you wanted it to be then I can understand that too.

G.2
I'm not saying that "this is it" or "I'm done", "f*** you all" or anything like that.

We have had it for a year. Now, I want to know what people think and if changes would makes it more interesting to people - or if people even saw it as an unfriendly close club for a few long time members and regular painters. Maybe I'm just expecting too much, that's it. I'm on Lead-adventures.de, too. Here, they have 2800+ members - and last vinter, at their Lead Painters League, they had like 80 people involved with new enties each week for 10 week's in a row. Don't even think there were a prize involved. And we can 'just' get 10-12 people involved - hmm! Know we are alot different from LAF being a race specific Warhammer forum, but take a look at the hobby section and see that there are rather a few hobbists here :D

Anyone here (other than Blur) that has been involved with LPL at LAF? Would you think such a system could/would change anything? LINKS: Rules: http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=25905.0 and the match up's form season 5: http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?board=61.0 If on a monthly basis (my suggestion) such a system could be fun as well! But what do you think?

But I'm not bitter or anything - and if the current active BS painters are up for it, I see no reason not to continue in 2012 - but feel free to spread the word. And if anybody have cool ideas - always feel free to post them.

And I will need help - especially about the themes. Will probably bring it do to just two options each month. Would like to keep some secrecy about theme till we start - but can also see the benefit of being able to plan a bit for BS. Suggestions are welcome!

Borador:

The LPL idea seems cool to me as well, as you can get a group of miniatures done! How do they deal with missing out a round?

Lord Aldades:

Yarrr, two years running nicely filling up the lower half of the table.

No idea honestly if it could / would work though, you should be doing some serious PR`ing to get people to hop along me thinks, I sure had to nag for weeks on end to get a few of my club to join in the LPL.

Blue in VT:

The LPL idea seems cool to me as well, as you can get a group of miniatures done! How do they deal with missing out a round?

Borador
If you miss around then your last team competes again in the current week...but you get "bonus" points for using new teams each round.

The Lead Painters League is a very interesting competition and you are right it is very well "attended" It is also quite exhausting...5 figures a week doesn't sound like that many but considering my current output of only a couple a month I have no idea how I managed it for the contest! It is also very fun and HIGHLY competitive...you must have thick skin and a good attitude to not get discouraged during the 10 week run. I had a couple of teams lose that I felt were much better than their competition...but cest le vie eh?

A monthly version of that contest would be interesting and quite fun...It would have to be fairly wide open...meaning that non-CD models would have to be encouraged...which hasn't been a problem for BS. It would return a bit of the competitive feel to the "contest" but to make it work well it would also require significant participation...if we have 10 head to head rounds but only 15 people involved you would be competing against the same people over and over again...which could be a bummer.

So I think we could do a version of the LPL but we would need to modify to fit our "world" and predicted smaller participation....even the GH rarely gets more than 25 contestants...so we need to keep that in mind.

I'll mull things for a while and add more later.

Blue

Thommy H:

So, it just looks like that the other 2500+ members don't really care that much. Will take that into account wheater I'll invest the time and money to run it again next year.

Clam
Uh...there aren't 2500 active members. Most of those are people that haven't posted in years, or who registered and never posted at all, or just made one post and never came back. There are probably less than a hundred actual active participants on the forum.

Ten to twelve people being involved in an ad hoc, prizeless painting competition is a perfectly respectable number. The most popular Golden Hat of all time only had, like, thirty entrants - and that was because there was a prize! Some of the entrants weren't regular members.

This is a small forum. Brush Slave is doing just fine. I participated in the first one because I had a model on my painting table that worked for it, but sadly that same opportunity hasn't come up again. I've just been too busy to paint something up specially recently.

I think you may be setting your expectations a little high if you really want dozens of people to join in.

clam:

Thanks for you inputs, Thommy - most appreciated.

So, for you it’s the fixed themes that’s keeping you from entering more often!

And then a few comment - of course :wink:

I have no expectations about number of participants. Just curious knowing if the current format is keeping people from entering. Idea was that BS should fit almost any current project you were working on - and not something you build/plan specific. But it seems (to me) like people actually need to plan for it - and therefore … I have fail my mission - and therefore I think we need to change it - and make it even more free! (like the LPL).

Don’t have insights in numbers of active members, so your guess is as good as mine. But I can see, that we have something like a 100 people here during day time (numbers of visitors the last 15 miniutes) - and that 130 members did sign in today. In comparison LAF had 173 members online today.

Oh, and we do have a prize. The guy with most challenge points by the end of the year will receive a prize. Winner will be rewarded with 8 miniatures from Titan Wargames - worth £18 (4 heavy Warriors, command group and an overlord) :wink:

@Blue
Agree, we can’t just use the LPL - but we could use it with some adjustments. First we’ll need to run it at a monthly basis - and teams could be smaller (maybe just a pair). Could still see a few rounds themed - and even rounds encouraging people to paint CDs. Is the reason for being here in the first place.
And yes, we need at least 10 people signing up, if we want to run it for like half a year.

And I know you wasn’t treated like you should - but don’t think you’ll see the same numbers of “ex-GW enthusiasts” here :slight_smile: So here best painted should be enough :wink: - but be aware that some might enter Forge World CDs :stuck_out_tongue:

Thommy H:

So, for you it's the fixed themes that's keeping you from entering more often!
No, just time. I've probably averaged only one thing painted per month this year, and I'd rather paint something I need for my armies than something for a contest. So I'd only generally enter BS if I could make the theme fit something I was already painting, or getting ready to paint. Although never say never: there may be a theme one day that just grabs me and makes me want to paint some random thing in my bitz box that I wouldn't have otherwise.

I guess what I'm saying is that, as far as I'm concerned, Brush Slave is fine. My lack of participation is nothing to do with the format (though, if pressed for an opinion, I'd prefer it to be competitive like the first couple) and everything to with personal circumstances.

G.2:

...and if the current active BS painters are up for it, I see no reason not to continue in 2012 - but feel free to spread the word. And if anybody have cool ideas - always feel free to post them.

clam
Just a quick note to say that I am really liking the sound of this. I will have a good think about promoting BS to get more involvement.

Borador:

Also, we could all send £1-2 to you via Paypal, clam, to sponsor the prize a bit next year. And if you’ve paid, you ofcourse want to enter, resulting in more participation! ;D

Lord Aldades:

That actually aint to shabby an idea, but I wouldnt make it obligated but rather volunatry gifts

Borador:

Yeah it should be voluntary indeed, I for one would happily donate a bit to support the cause (I mean, what is £2 on an annual basis, right?)

Bolg:

Agreed.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Zanko:

Yeah it should be voluntary indeed, I for one would happily donate a bit to support the cause (I mean, what is £2 on an annual basis, right?)

Borador
Seconded! :hat off

:hashut

RTMaitreya:

My lack of participation is nothing to do with the format (though, if pressed for an opinion, I'd prefer it to be competitive like the first couple) and everything to with personal circumstances.

Thommy H
Me too. Having my group move over to 40k for the fall and winter seasons didn't help either. I've gathered materials for several BS and GH competitions, but never was able to finish an entry (actually finished one, but didn't get pics taken). It's just time, with work and kid and house. . . when things calm down next year, I'm sure I'll get into an entry or two.

Not sure about team format. . . gotta pick teams very carefully, like dodgeball. I'm the fat, greasy paste-eater in the corner.

RTM

clam:

Okay. Last Brush Challenge 2011 is now up and running, and don’t forget voting for how did best in the re-painting BS #10 - here: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10181

So time to think about 2012!

As I read this, I see 2 ways of doing BS next year - so I’ve added a poll and would like you to tell me which format we should do for '12. I’ll allow multiple votes (if you’ll do either of them) and fell free adding any comments.

1) The classic BS Challenge
Pretty much like 2011. We’l decide a theme and announce it at the start of the month. Sometimes it will be a public poll, sometimes I’ll pick a certain theme. But in 2012 I want to do do two “big” Brush Slave challenges that will be announced 2 maybe 3 months ahead. By big I mean something like December challenge - so those who want to do - say a diorama - will have “plenty” of time planning and making their entry. These big ones will still be open for single miniature entries. We’ll keep the challenge point system, and also the additional challenge point system where you “for a certain effort” will be rewarded - or like in November run a poll and ask questions like who met the challenge best.

2) The BS Challenge league
Haven’t decided on the rules yet, but something like the League system at Lead-adventure.de. The idea is, that you each month enter a team of 3 miniatures (any genre, scale, manufacturer etc.). This team will compete against another person’s team in a public poll (a round). You’ll get point’s for just entering, numbers of votes and then for winning. You can at any time replace your team with another one. You’ll be rewarded for that, too (as the hole idea is - of course - doing 3 new miniatures each month- After all it is a painting challenge). 2 or 3 rounds will then be themed, so there will be a bonus for doing a new team fitting the theme, as well. A theme could be “sports”, so if you do a new 3 man fantasy football theme you’ll get maximum points for entering, but can still enter your 3 team members from round 1.
The league system will need the at least 12-14 people commits to it. So we are up against new people each time. By committing you I’ll need to have at least one team ready by the end of January. It’s up to you, if you’ll change it during the season (and earn the bonus points), but it will be hard becoming Brush Slave League Champion without, of course. Will also think of a way, so new people can enter during the season (ideas are welcome :)).

For both formats the will be a prize by the end of 2012, of course.

If you vote for the league and want to commit, please state it as well.

Will do a separate thread for the league (rules, point system, themes etc.) later one, so we can discuss how to run it. So lets not get too technical, here. Just tell what system you’ll like to see in 2012.

Admiral:

Things have kept being busy, but I think I’ll be able to enter BS regularly come next year. Although I voted for the classic contest, I don’t mind a team challenge. Donating a petty amount of money once per year is OK for my part despite a scarce student economy, especially if it happens to support Titan Wargames.

clam:

Well, there will be no need for donating in 2012. For now, I can afford paying for a small prize if you guys keep on painting. But should someone like to sponsor a prize or two, we wouldn’t say no, of course :smiley:

Borador:

Dang, stupid handheld devices: i wanted to click both options but miscliked and only voted for classic so please add 1 to the score of the Brush Slave League aswell clam!! (:

BTW clam; if you add your Paypal account adress to the thread I’ll donate a few quid to support next year’s price!

Zanko:

Both variants are attractive … I must think about it and then I will make my vote!

At the moment no. 2 is my favourite!

:hashut

ChungEssence:

I just want to say that while I have never entered i’m a big fan and love seeing the well painted entries.

With regards to the poll as to why I haven’t entered.

"I have not entered a Brush Slave event because…

1. I don’t like painting minis.

2. I do like painting minis, but I don’t like showing them to others.

3. I can not take nice photos.

4. I am unable to upload them onto the internet.

5. I don’t have time for it.

6. I am just happy being a lurker.

7. I don’t have the minis that are required.

8. It is simply too hard."

9. The timing of the competition has not been right for me

would be my answer as it always seems to be when i’m really busy. For example i’m currently preping for an exam. The last one was when I went on holiday. It just hasn’t ‘clicked’ for me yet but i’m hoping to enter the next one.