[Archive] The Hobgoblin Thread!

AGPO:

I take it you mean 11 Uzkul, even hobgoblins take some killing when there’s 111 of them - safety in numbers don’t you know. That said it would be cool to see if a Khorne lord could do them for combat resolution single handed and run down the entiree unit; or even see a Khorne lord broken by hobbos (you get 125 vanilla hobbos to one khorne lord - and thats before kit!)

Wosamog:

I like Hobgoblins from the fluff point of view, but I think that tactically there is a lot to be said for their effect on animosity, especially if you have any other greenskins in your army.

Likewise, they can provide a kind of firewall against panic. I know that CD leadership is high, but the way I roll dice, it’s best not to bank on stats to save me :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Wos

Thommy H:

but I think that tactically there is a lot to be said for their effect on animosity, especially if you have any other greenskins in your army.
That rule doesn't exist any more, does it?

Draconis:

The thing I’ve learned with Hobgoblin archers throughout my many battles is that you actually want them at the front of your lines. They work as excellent screens against magic missile spells and arrow fire, allowing you to choose what to dispel and what not to.

Interestingly enough, alot of my opponents have been rather stunned with the hobgoblin archers suddenly reform and then hit them in the flanks. I had a Chaos Tzeentch player who walked straight into my sights and was then slammed by two warrior units and then my reformed unit of 20 hobgoblin archers hitting them in the flank that was at one point protecting my bolt throwers.

Place them in front of the army, they work best that way. Unless you have a hill that can be used to where they are actually in range and can hit something. The 24 inch range hurts. It really does. But this also gives us some tactical edges too as we can use them as small armored units of cannon fodder without a command, or various other uses.

No one Expects the Hobgoblin Inquisition!!!

Lava Lord:

Is hobgoblin bow range 24" or 16"? For some reason I thought it was 16" range. What is it for the wolf riders? Just to clarify. Thanx!!:cheers

Draconis:

Normal bows, so the range is 24 inches. Hobgoblin Wolf riders are the same I believe. Which is one of the reasons why they are so versatile.

Tallhat:

Meh. I dont particulary like the wolf riders. They are okay of course but the fact taht you cant take them in units less than 10 models is rubbish. I would much rather have them in units of 5. 2 units of 5. Now that would be nice.

- Tallhat

Uzkul Werit:

They’re still pretty handy in units of ten. They’re not that much less flexible and the extra few models helps to soak up causlities.

Draconis:

Aye, Inevitably, wolf riders will be shot at. The utilization of 10 models helps, as that is all I would ever take. Maybe 2 units of ten to harass the flanks and cease march moves.

So what do folks think of sneaky gits? and what is everyones strategy with them? Do you feel they are worthwhile? Worthless? Speak my fellow Dawi Zharr! Are our poison wielding backstabbing slaves worth the points? Or worth only kicking into the mines to dig up precious shiny ore?

~Starts the debate~

Uzkul Werit:

I would always give the ore digging duty. They’re a special choice and for what? A Hobgoblin with two hand weapons and poison. This sounds like a good deal and if they were to get some extra rules (Scouts maybe) or they were turned into a Core unit, I’d be all for them. But Black Orcs and Bolt Throwers are just much more worth those Special slots.

Also I used them in one game and they squabbled for four turns. :smiley:

Tallhat:

I love sneaky gits. I use them all the time even though lap round is gone. Why is that btw?

- Tallhat

wallacer:

I love sneaky gits. I use them all the time even though lap round is gone.

Tallhat
Lapping around itself (as a general rule) was abolished in 7th edition, and sneaky gits just kind of got swept along by the tide....

Tallhat:

But how come they removed it? It wasnt an unbalancing rule.

- Tallhat

cornixt:

It was just awkward to use, especially when several units were involved. A lot of people I know never used the rule anyway since the units were never big enough.

Tallhat:

I understand but still. That rule was really old and it seemed like a strange thing to get rid off. I personally loved it. Not only for my Gits but also for my warriors.

- Tallhat

Uzkul Werit:

Sneaky Gitz in the USA Tournies may now get free reforms at the end of any combat round weither they win or lose now. But like they’d survive a flank charge anyway.

Tallhat:

Maybe I should just drop the Gits. Itll be a sad farewell :frowning:

- Tallhat

Border Reiver:

Who? Meeee? :D

So what are people's thoughts on Hobgoblin Bowmen? Better than their Orc counterparts as some think?

Uzkul Werit
As I see it the sole advantage of hobgoblin archers over arrer boyz is the base size. They use an identical missile weapon, and have the same BS.

Where Orcs have the advantage is in their ability to hold up better if they get into HTH. With higher T and choppas they tend to hold up better for me.

On the subject of Hobgoblins as a whole, I see them in a similar light as subject nations, vice slaves. Expendable in as much as they are not Dawi Zharr, but not something that can be expended without thought or a clear reason. At present, I use my hobgoblins in small units in a similar way as Empire Detachments to provide a flanking or redirection unit for my Dawi units.

As a general question, with the elimination of lapping around in 7th ed. how are most of you using sneaky gitz?

Willmark:

Xander��like your idea it gives the unit a badly needed boost to its Ld.

My plan for my hobbos is this:

1x30

1x30 with a CD sorceror

2x10 archers

1x10 hobbos wolfriders

I just wish they could have spears, grrrr

Border Reiver:

Sneaky Gitz - love the minis and was quite sad when the lap around rule got caned in 7th ed.

Against older players who know what “lap around” is sometimes we can come to an agreement to allow them to lap, but that is a gentleman’s agreement and is certainly not a rule.

Generally, I use them in small groups of 12 on the flanks of my blocks of CD infantry, ready to charge the flanks of enemy units, or if something really nasty is coming my way, setting them up to re-direct charges.