[Archive] The Mechanized Battalion 2000pts LoA

propervillanz:

So this Friday i will be playing a blind battle against either Skaven, High Elves, or Vampire Counts.  I wont know which until deployment starts though i got the feeling it will be Vampire Counts or High Elves.  

The below is my attempt at building a force that could adequately deal with the either of the forces, but i got side tracked and built it around the use of Iron Demons.  I have yet to use them and figure they will come in handy due to their high toughness, impact hits, and ranged attacks, not to mention they are unbreakable.  Yet i digress, here is the list.

“The Mechanized Battalion” 1997pts Legion of Azgorh

Deamonsmith Drakan, The Mad 160pts
general
Level 2 Wizard (lore of fire or death)
talisman of endurance

Deamonsmith Harkan, The Empirical 160pts
Level 2 Wizard (lore of fire or death)
dispel scroll
charmed shield

Dark Castellan Artaxerxes, The Stoneheart 180pts
BSB
Stone Mantle
Great Weapon
Pistol
(Thinking of dropping the pistol and stone mantle for talisman of preservation)

12 Infernal Guard 229pts
Standard and Musician
Fireglaives
Gleaming Pennant

12 Infernal Guard 224pts
Standard and Musician
Fireglaives

12 Infernal Guard 224pts
Standard and Musician
Fireglaives

Death Shrieker Rocket Launcher 125pts
Hellbound

Death Shrieker Rocket Launcher 125pts
Hellbound

Iron Deamon War Engine 285pts

Iron Deamon War Engine 285pts

The BSB will go into one of the infernal guard units and those units will make up the center.  The death shriekers will go toward the back center  and rain down fire, they are hellbound to deal with ethereal threats.  The Iron deamons will be on either flank to anchor them/counter charge/provide covering fire.

I am not sure if it will be a viable army and i am not sure how much damage the steam cannonades can produce, i am thinking of replacing them both for 2 hellcannons and a magma cannon or more infantry.

Any comments, critiques, gripes, or feedback of any kind will be most welcome and thanks for your time and efforts. :cheers

rpitts2004:

You need more infantry, with only blocks of 12 they can be reduced to nothing very fast. I wouldn’t use one iron deamon, let alone two. Get some magma cannons in there and defineltly more numbers.

CopperPot:

You need more infantry, with only blocks of 12 they can be reduced to nothing very fast. I wouldn't use one iron deamon, let alone two. Get some magma cannons in there and defineltly more numbers.

rpitts2004
Why not use a Iron Daemon other than the rules being abit iffy people that have used them like them.

rpitts2004:

You need more infantry, with only blocks of 12 they can be reduced to nothing very fast. I wouldn't use one iron deamon, let alone two. Get some magma cannons in there and defineltly more numbers.

rpitts2004
Why not use a Iron Daemon other than the rules being abit iffy people that have used them like them.

CopperPot
There are better units at our disposal. I'd rather use a skullcracker

Mad Dave:

at a quick glance if it was me Id Get rid of both of the iron daemons and Castellan and pump up ya infrantry and try to work in some Bull centures and a Magma Cannon or 2 and get them hellbound but thats just me.

Da Crusha:

I always appreciate new army builds and this one is definitely one of them. the steam cannonade is mediocre at best, Ive been told its a monster killer but through play testing I have found its not typical. the iron deamon is very good at tar pitting though. give them hellbound for the extra Toughness and wound and makes it even harder to kill. it seems your army needs some redirectors. either Wolf riders or units of 20 HG to choose flee. many armies can get across the board in 3 turns and once they get there you will have trouble surviving. your redirectors can get him to move only a few inches with a failed charge instead of their full march, allowing you to get more shots off before he gets to you. I would like to hear any battle reports you might have with the list but honestly I dont think it would do very well as it stands.

maded12:

Hello,

The biggest problem I see with your list is that you have nothing to ‘win’. ID’s are awesome units to tar pit or to break up small portions of the opponents armies. But they allone won’t win you any games. I’ve made a somewhat similair list once and I hope it can give you some ideas.

1 prophet

enchanted shield, talisman of perservation, great taurus, lvl 4

1 hoblgoblin khan

mounted, shield, light armour, wolf, spear

Core: option 1

10 infernal guard

12 infernal gaurd

great weapons, standard bearer

12 infernal gaurd

great weapons, standard bearer

option 2

500 pts of Blunder busses who are awesome vs skaven, elfs and unmounted undead.

2 iron deamons

Hell bound

1 k’daai destroyer.

-------

It’s not perfect and I really miss my ‘carpet hero’ (how bad does that sound? :P) But it has a little bit more OOMPH vs armies with big blocks of infantry (skaven, vampires, elfs). Just put all the power on 1 flank and hope you can steam roll them.

I hope this gives you some ideas which you can use. Don’t be affraid to try something different then the ‘normal’ lists (magma cannon, hell cannon, smiths, big blocks of basic infantry) CD’s are perfectly capable of being an agressive and offensive army :smiley:

zhatan87:

If you keep this list, you should get the hellbound upgrade to the iron daemons rather than on the deathshrieker…

Hellcannons are far better than iron daemons, but you should already know that:)