[Archive] The Nehekharan and the Arcane Engineer, by Uhr-Kulmbizharr

Admiral:

[align=center]The Nehekharan and the Arcane Engineer, by Uhr-Kulmbizharr[/align]

Once upon a time, there was an ingenious Arcane Engineer who was famed for his inventions. Amongst his many slaves there was a Manling from Nehekhara of the pyramids, who dared neither slack nor complain. One day, the Arcane Engineer had built a new kind of furnace, and he needed an untiring labourer. He chose the Nehekharan.

“This furnace must be fed with fuel all the time until I command to halt. You must sate its raging hunger, slave,” commanded the Arcane Engineer.

The Nehekharan worked hard and toiled fast for long hours to shovel coal into the furnace, yet he could not keep apace with the fire. Eventually, all the coal in the furnace had burnt up, yet still the signal to stop fuel had not been given. The Arcane Engineer was furious and grabbed ahold of the tired slave.

“Why is the furnace cooling when it should be heating?” asked the Arcane Engineer.

“I must eat and sleep sometime,” replied the Nehekharan.

“No, you must not! You have failed because you have been lazy! You must work day and night until your heart breaks from exhaustion,” barked the Arcane Engineer.

“But I cannot feed it enough coal!” protested the Nehekharan.

“Then we’ll feed you to the furnace,” growled the Arcane Engineer, and threw the slave into the flames. For such is the fate of those who would not give their all when their master demands it.

- The Nehekharan and the Arcane Engineer, by Daemonsmith Uhr-Kulmbizharr the Blind, the renowned Chaos Dwarf author of fable stories during the foundation of Zharr-Naggrund*

* This ruthless work ethic, for slaves in particular, is a fundamental part of the Dawi Zharr empire. In addition, note how memories of ancient empires may survive within Chaos Dwarf oral culture, long after their might have turned into dust and death have claimed them. In ancient times, Nehekharans fetched one of the highest prices of any Human tribes on Chaos Dwarf slave markets, since their people’s labour on titanic monuments in the homeland made them industrious like few other Manlings.

Mivrash Faz:

I like that Admiral. You convey the evil and ruthlessness of Dawi Zharr society well. :cheers

Admiral:

Thanks a lot, Mivrash Faz! :hat off

Footnote updated.

Dînadan:

I’m kinda disappointed the Nehekharan didn’t throw himself in, representing his familiarity with harsh salvemasters.

Fuggit Khan:

I’m really enjoying these short proverbs of yours Admiral. In addition to being fun reads, they also add quite a bit of background fluff to the way that Chaos Dwarfs see their world around them.

A short and simple proverb such as this gives quite a bit of insight to the day to day life within Zharr Naggund: furnaces of engineers, the short and miserable life of slaves, the ‘true value’ that a slave holds in the eye of a Chaos Dwarf and the ruthless and single-minded purpose of a Dawi Zharr.

Great stuff!  :cheers

Abecedar:

I did like this one also.

But as I’m having issues with my work management at present I can see the fault with the the daemonsmiths management in not providing adequate resources

MadHatter:

A good read, thanks Admiral :slight_smile: