[Archive] The Official CDO Zombie Thread

Patrikson:

I scored 30% :frowning:

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Hashutā€™s Blessing:

Apparently only a 52% chance. That could be because I accidentally said something wrong (that Iā€™ve forgotten, lol).

Everyone to Willmarkā€™s!

Willmark:

Heh there is something to be said for being a gun owner at the zombie Apocalypse. Having a pistol permit as well as other assorted hand weaponry cant hurt eitherā€¦ Moral of the story if the zombies break out you guys on the other side of teh pond are screwed.

snowblizz:

Moral of the story if the zombies break out you guys on the other side of teh pond are screwed.

Willmark
So untrue. I know just the guy to talk to re: weapons. Our gaming group would form a Zombie hunting/repelling force in no-time.

Willmark:

Ahhh but you miss the premise you got to go talk to him and get weapon, good look with the trip through zombieville! Iā€™ve already got mine :wink: plus perhaps heā€™s a zombie already by the time you get there.

moan of zombie ouside- Willmark

Bassman:

Weapons are not common here but at least house are made of stone/bricks/concrete. Much better fortifications than wooden panelsā€¦ ehehehhe but of course Iā€™d like to have a couple of shotguns next to my bedā€¦

Perturabo:

Hmm. 51%. Iā€™m too sentimental.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

As long as itā€™s not ā€œThe Video Deadā€ Iā€™ll be happy!

snowblizz:

Ahhh but you miss the premise you got to go talk to him and get weapon, good look with the trip through zombieville! I've already got mine ;) plus perhaps he's a zombie already by the time you get there.

*moan of zombie ouside*- Willmark
Well I'm just too bloody lazy to get guns for possible zombie-prevention. And that's the only reason I can see to have any. BTW its not very far to him. Besides that's what mobile phones are for... "Dude! Get your guns and get into the car, there are Zombies a foot!"
And take my word for it. This is NOT the guy who will have turned into a zombie. If anyone knows what to look for it is him. In fact I very much expect he'd be blazing his over to me while making the call. "Dude I'm on my way with guns, there are zombies, this is so frickin awesome".

Edit:
Besides, by not living in the US you cut down Zombie related accidents by at least 100%. Not to mention Alien-, monster- (not valid on Japan) invasions and all forms of celestial fall out.

Bassman:

Well I'm just too bloody lazy to get guns for possible zombie-prevention. And that's the only reason I can see to have any. BTW its not very far to him. Besides that's what mobile phones are for... "Dude! Get your guns and get into the car, there are Zombies a foot!"
And take my word for it. This is NOT the guy who will have turned into a zombie. If anyone knows what to look for it is him. In fact I very much expect he'd be blazing his over to me while making the call. "Dude I'm on my way with guns, there are zombies, this is so frickin awesome".

Edit:
Besides, by not living in the US you cut down Zombie related accidents by at least 100%. Not to mention Alien-, monster- (not valid on Japan) invasions and all forms of celestial fall out.

snowblizz
Well, I do not think mobiles still work after a great scale zombie rising!
And guys that say "frickin awesome" in front of a zombie uprising... are the first to die in every movie... ehhehehe :)

Hashutā€™s Blessing:

Ah, but Bassman, what would cause the phones to stop working?

Thing is, itā€™s easy to make flamebombs and when I have cash, my walls will be filled with crossbows and bloades. I already have armour (half-plate and half ringmail) and a shield. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll do fine :smiley:

Bassman:

Ah, but Bassman, what would cause the phones to stop working?

Thing is, it's easy to make flamebombs and when I have cash, my walls will be filled with crossbows and bloades. I already have armour (half-plate and half ringmail) and a shield. I'm sure I'll do fine :D

Hashut's Blessing
Phones will stop working sooner than you believe...
firstable how long does your battery work? If there is a planet scale zombie uprising we wont have electricity in our houses very soon...
Do you think the network will work when zombies will invade infrastructures? Do you think people will continue to work for mobile companies when they have a tide of zombies at the gates?
Maybe the antenna covering your area has been destroyed by a fire caused by zombie uprising... riots.. who knows.... :)

Flamebombs are fine.... in my house I can find many tools useful, like saws, hammers, axes (yum!) and knives..... we Europeans could sell our lives at a good price! :)

Havinf a fire weapon helps to survive but it's not mandatory... it's more important to have good clothes, good boots (do not underestimate a good pair of boots in a world in anarchy), a torch with some batteries, cord and stuff to survive for long in wilderness..... of course is also nice to have a shotgun.... :)

snowblizz:

Phones will stop working sooner than you believe...
firstable how long does your battery work? If there is a planet scale zombie uprising we wont have electricity in our houses very soon...
Do you think the network will work when zombies will invade infrastructures? Do you think people will continue to work for mobile companies when they have a tide of zombies at the gates?
Maybe the antenna covering your area has been destroyed by a fire caused by zombie uprising... riots.. who knows.... :)

Bassman
Mobile networks are able to cope for a couple of hours during a power shortage, depending on traffic. Modern (3G) less, ca 30 minutes. Plenty of time for getting a heads up on the Zombie invasion and organize our Death Squads. And Zombies go for people not inanimate antennae.

Willmark:

Rip**
(threadomancy) pun intented.

So who here thinks that phones will last long? I agree with Snowblizz to a point; the zombie apocalypse will overwhelm global communications rendering those runs to a friends house to get guns moot. Why? Inexplicavlbly the cell net hits the crapper in every damn zombie movie.

Another thought however if zombies can swim/Wade are we all screwed?

Hashutā€™s Blessing:

The key question is: what if zombies arenā€™t like the zombies we all know?!?!?

Hence, the ability to create a plan spontaneously is better than to have a plan in place :smiley:

snowblizz:

So who here thinks that phones will last long? I agree with Snowblizz to a point; the zombie apocalypse will overwhelm global communications rendering those runs to a friends house to get guns moot. Why? Inexplicavlbly the cell net hits the crapper in every damn zombie movie.

Another thought however if zombies can swim/Wade are we all screwed?

Willmark
Not long, but for awhile. I hold to my original estimate, a couple of hours at least. After all just because there's a Zombie "uprising" doesn't meant you flick a switch and everything stops working that very moment. Takes a bit of chaos to get there. Also depends on the response from society. Vital infrastructure tends to be protected. One good thing to come out of the terrorists scares. Of course unlike you lilly-livered people safe on your continent some of us live with a constant threat of invasion from the east.

I've learned that my friend can control the powergrid from his work-provided laptop. Nice. Internet connection required though.

You are correct in the network load however. That is a bigger concern than power in the short term. Luckily as soon as enough people get zombified they stop using their cell phones easing the load. :D

Swim... probably not but walking along the seabed would probably work in theory at least. Probably not going to climb the mid-Atlantic ridge though. Of course Iceland exist as a convenient bridge (spanning the 2 tectonic plates). Considering the travels zombies would probably spread globally rather quickly though whether or not water would represent a barrier.

Depends on what would be the standard zombie features, I'd say though as we understand the concept you'd be fairly safe on water.

Hashutā€™s Blessing:

Just get to an isolated lake with LOTS of fish: clean FRESH water for drinking and fish once a day as minimum survival food.

Henroth:

I would have 46% of surviving. :~

Willmark:

Snowblizz- that assumes people act rationally, after being a firefighter for 13 years Iā€™d say people do the opposite.

Another point to telecommunications breaking down: power generation. These thing require constant monitoring. Nuclear and hydro would produce for the longest but not indefinately. Initially depending on just who becomes a zombie there could be a major lack of those capable of keeping things going. In the case of nuclear it runs out of fuel.

You do bring up another good point though: spread. The spread through air travel could make it wide spread depending on time of onset.

snowblizz:

Snowblizz- that assumes people act rationally, after being a firefighter for 13 years I'd say people do the opposite.

Another point to telecommunications breaking down: power generation. These thing require constant monitoring. Nuclear and hydro would produce for the longest but not indefinately. Initially depending on just who becomes a zombie there could be a major lack of those capable of keeping things going. In the case of nuclear it runs out of fuel.

You do bring up another good point though: spread. The spread through air travel could make it wide spread depending on time of onset.

Willmark
I like to think people act rationally. Now of course my definition of "people" is rather narrow, unlike most I don't automatically include every creature that has the homo sapiens genome.

To the point though it doesn't necessary require EVERYONE to act rationally. I'm totally writing of at least 50% right of the bat. That's one of my pet peeves. I was watching Dawn of the Dead recently on TV and was literally fuming at the TV because the characters were acting so stupid. For once I'd like to see a movie where people do it "right".
The important thing is that the right people act rationally. Well enough right people. Can we count on the US CoC & CoA e.g.? Probably. Now Sweden, I don't give them a snowball's chance in hell. They'll be arguing who is to blame and forming committees right up until they all get eaten. Finland? A fair chance, we are more doers than talkers and like I said we HAVE protocols in place. We are used to s**t happening.

Of course it all depends on what kind of zombie uprising we talk about. I'm thinking about Israel in "World War Z". THEY were prepared. As you say key people are important, but there should already be at least some existing "plans" to protect key people. A legacy of the cold war civil defence plans and terrorist scares.