[Archive] The Red Queen's Wardens: Update - Artisans XXIV Golem

Fuggit Khan:

Beautiful army and a striking color scheme <3

This is the type of color scheme that would immediately catch my attention at a gaming event, and make me walk across the room to admire it up close.

Jackswift:

Beautiful army and a striking color scheme

Fuggit Khan
Thank you!

Next up the finalized Lammasu to be used in KoW as "Basusu the Vile".  This is a Raging Heroes Manticore body (sans saddle) with the Sheddu head, the tail from another line of models (cannot recall of the top, but was supposed to be part of a living plant I think), and a semi custom base (most of the pre-paint conversion work on this model was done before I acquired it; I added the tail and a few details on the base).  I was initially going to leave the Lammasu as a mostly traditional black monstrosity with a few highlights and update the basing... but then I got the idea to do the highlights in a reddish tinge... and from there just kept adding and tweaking.  The end result you see below is much more in tune with my army scheme and fits well with the remainder of my units thus far:

There are two small but glaring details that still need a hit with more metallics.  I'll send an updated pic of the head once those are done.

Next up:  two or three infrantry units before I do anymore monsters or machines (barring any that are done for contest entries of course).

Let me know your thoughts.  Cheers!  JR

Admiral:

The army as a whole is shaping up into a beautiful force, and what a colour scheme! I especially like how you play your uniform colours across the whole army, including warmachines where others might have struck for metallics only, and particularly on your monsters. Basusu’s wing pattern verges on the fantastic. I’m sure others will mimic it in the future.

Very well done, sir! :hat off

Fuggit Khan:

The painted details on the wings are jaw dropping :o

They draw so much attention that I almost overlooked all the other subtlety beautiful paint tones, such as the attention to detail on the tail and claws.

I have to agree 100% with Admiral, your ability to paint such uniform colors across all models in your army is really noteworthy :hat off

Abecedar:

Ditto, very impressive

Malorndk:

I can only echo what others have already said: Those wings baby! Those wings!!!

Jackswift:

Gentlemen, Thank you very much for the comments re the army color scheme and the wing pattern!  This one ended up being a very fun model to paint once I got deep into it.  The initial plan was significantly different, and the wing pattern was a late addition to the piece.  I was not certain how it would come out, but am definitely pleased with the end result, and the amount of interest that it adds to the overall look of the model.  Cheers JR

Carcearion:

I know im late coming in on this one but I noticed you changed your avatar and I wanted to see the miniature it came from. Loads said already about the really unique wing coloration but I think my favorite part is the kinda luminecent beard skulls, something about them really highlights the interesting thing about the lammasu: That its not just a big horrible monster but what more its also a wizard! Those skulls definitely have that “and here is where I keep some really horrible spells to unleash on mortals” vibe.

Jackswift:

Thank you sir. :cheers Good eye. The glowing eye sockets on the skulls was meant to be representative of the creature’s magic.

Jackswift:

As promised, below are WIP photos of the unit front rank that I was painting up for the current Golden Hat competition.  Circumstances prevented timely completion so I missed the deadline, and here is the current status.  

These models are Rackham Incubuses of the Despot from the Mid Nor Evil Dwarves army (same as the Hydra I have painted up).  They have an estimated 3-4 hours worth of work remaining.  Block colors are in play on a majority of the models without the fine detail, and I’ve started working out the detail on the flesh tones which still need some additional subtlety in places.  

These are currently going to be fielded as Kings of War Abyssal Dwarf Berzerkers, though I may change it up and play them as Fire Salamanders or Allies instead in the future.  The standard bearer and musician are conversions.

The rest of the faces, eyes, teeth, claws, hair, etc have no detail yet.  The bottom two need a bit more work than the first three on the skin tones:

You can see here some back detail I was testing out on the caterpillar shell.  Remains to be seen if that will stay or be revised.

Now that I have a bit more time I am going to finish out the unit.  Will post more WIP next week.  Let me know your thoughts.  Cheers, JR

Carcearion:

:o omg their terrifying! What are they meant to be in your armies lore? Daemon-possesed? Horribly mutated? Some form of Ka’daai?

They look like a good fit for bezerkers; lesser armor, brutal in close combat, fearless, and something about them makes me think they would be faster then your average dwarf.

Malorndk:

Pretty gross haha xD

I like the models for sure. They will look cool finished!

Admiral:

Now that’ll be a spectacular berzerker unit. The paintjob looks good so far. Keep it up!

Fuggit Khan:

Circumstances prevented timely completion so I missed the deadline, and here is the current status.  

Jackswift
You know what? You should have entered them anyways, even in the partially unfinished state that they are.
I'm serious, they are super cool and I would of voted for them just as they are. The concept is different and cool, the colors are effective and the banner pole shield/face bit is simply too cool to ignore.
These guys would look super cool next to the upcoming Scibor miniatures giant armored war snail model :hat off

Darkmeer:

They really are excellent Chaos Dwarf models. They fit nicely with the warping nature of Chaos on the Dwarves, moving away from the Bull aspect, more to the Earth and Fire aspect of Hashut. I wish you had entered them, but I really want to see them completed to your satisfaction as well.

Bloodbeard:

I’ve never liked these worm chaos dwarves before - but I like them now. Your colour pallet really makes the miniatures cool. It’s almost like they have an inner glow to them - try to keep that when completing them.

I’ll join Fuggits recommendation. When you have something at this level of completion, quickly paint the bases and enter the competition.

Jackswift:

Thanks very much for the comments re the color scheme.  I am definitely going for that glow to the models, so will do my best to keep it.  I’ll post additional updates as I have time to get the models finalized.

:o omg their terrifying! What are they meant to be in your armies lore? Daemon-possesed? Horribly mutated? Some form of Ka’daai?

Carcearion
In Kings of War Lore, I believe the abyssal berserkers are dwarves that have given themselves over to abyssal possession so that they may partake in constant war and slaughter.  In this instance the half evil dwarf, half caterpillar models are thematically inspired mutations spawned from a thousand years of chaos dwarf experimentation with breeding and splicing various creatures that fall within the realm of their grasp.

My army has a very loose (and I mean very loose) Alice in Wonderland theme going for it.  You very likely will not ever see a white rabbit.  What it does have is a chessboard style basing theme for the core units (eventually an actual chessboard).  Card oriented rune design (take a look at the finished IG unit), and a high level of whimsy in the mix as betokened by mixed unit color patterns, bright or glowing colors, swirls and painted patterns on individual models, and unusual creatures which slightly betoken characters (such as the intoxicated caterpillar) from the story.

I will likely use them in two capacities, either as Berserkers, or as an allied unit representing Elemental Fire Salamanders which will also allow me to play the Hydra.:slight_smile:
You know what? You should have entered them anyways,

Fuggit Khan
Thanks.  I’ll keep that in mind the next time I’m this far from having a finale entry ready.  I didn’t really even consider it. I think I still wouldn’t feel like the models were ready for entry but I will certainly think longer on it.  Ideally I will make sure to start earlier in the future and not have the problem.

Kamphre:

Well done, now I want some ! :smiley:

Admiral:

The glow effect on the Rackham miniatures coupled with the colourfulness of them is just great. A shame they didn’t make it for the contest, but more importantly you’ve come a good way toward finishing that front rank. Good job!

Pappa Midnight:

Just went through this thread. Wow…

You have some serious conversion Mojo going on. LOVE that Dragon Cannon ( I would like to do similar but would be a little apprehensive of messing up a Forge World cannon).

Those Berserkers are brilliant. I love it when people use minis from different ranges and make them into their own vision of THEIR fantasy world.

Regards

PM