[Archive] The Zoat Thread

Malificant:

ok, if i dont go through with my “linked army” idea after my chaos dwarves, and since im having so much of a blast converting the army, id like to do another army abandoned by GW: Zoats. id probably use either brettonian rules( to represent the fact that they are wood elf allies, and tougher than elves), or beasts of chaos minotaur nurgle army, or ogres.

conversion wise im thinking use the oldish cold one models(the ones that look like cows) as the lower body, and maybe beastman gors or chaos marauders for the upper torso. with some weapon swaps and GSing of the face and making some scales on the torso part i think we may be able to come up with a way to convert ZOATS!

For Refrence. - Xander

Willmark:

Might work I think Brets would be the way to go. It would be cool if you could find dome actual models for your characters.

AGPO:

I had a thought of doing a “dead races” DoW army. I’d use saurus and cold ones for your zoats. You’d only need one boxed set per unit as well

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Don’t know much about the rules, but there was a great conversion article on Black Gobbo for doing the collossus tyranids, which with only a few different parts would make very nice fantasy Zoats. ^^

Uzkul Werit:

Bloody hell. That conversion screams Zoat.

Malificant:

what is that,tyranid warriors and cold ones with a humanoid torso? shouldnt be so hard, could be fun!

AGPO:

Bloody hell. That conversion screams Zoat.

Uzkul Werit
To me it screams Dragon ogre, but I'd like mine to have a tad more momentum

Ishkur Cinderhat:

The good thing about this one is that almost all basic components are made of plastic. If I ever had dragon ogres in one of my armies, I’d definitely make them based on this conversion. ^^

Malificant:

allow me to point you to a better conversion:

http://z9.invisionfree.com/Madhouse_Workshop/index.php?showtopic=58

made from ogres and the old cold ones. my buddy sean welte here does amazing work. maybe you’ve seen him in last months white dwarf, the guy who did the iron warrior?

Ishkur Cinderhat:

These are brilliantly converted and painted. Though I have to say that I find the cold ones’ bodies to seem too feeble to bear all the muscle and fat of the Ogre torso. This is especially true when seen from the side.

AGPO:

Cost for a reasonable unit - 1x ironguts boxed set �20, plus 4x Cold one �10, and you’ll probablly run through 1/2 a pack of greenstuff as well. �30 for a unit is a bit much, I think I’d sculpt the torsos at least

Malificant:

i agree they are a bit front heavy looking(at least one of them for sure)

i have seen similar success using chaos spawn(the metal ones) scyth-claw things for the front legs and i dont remember the actual mount body.

this is the guy who is helping me with my boar centaur conversions.

Malificant:

about 50-55 dollars US, but when you figure the fugly GW dragon ogres are like 20-25 dollars a peice for the ugliest models imaginable i think it’s a great deal. ive rarely seen anyone use more than 4 dragon ogres.

AGPO:

You guys get it cheaper than us then (guessing that you’re using US pricing and not exchange rates) You’re sure right there - they are dman ugly models. A shame - dragon ogres are the best unit in the chaos army. 79 points with light armour and great weapons. Lead them with a Shaagoth champion of Slaanesh with a great weapon - S7 always strikes first

Malificant:

why lead them with anything? a unit of dragon ogres 4 wide fully equipped is 316 points. 12 ws 4 str 7 attacks. a shaggoth of slaanesh is 346 points fully equipped w/ 5 str 7 attacks. id rather take 2 units of dragon ogres as they cant be nerfed by a challenge.

plus 16 wounds is nice…

Kera foehunter:

Malificant those are some cool dragon Ogre !!

thanksfor the link

AGPO:

The Shaagoth of Slaanesh is just too awesome not to take, and looks cool leading the unit. I see your point though, I just like the sheer hardness of it. Plus I already have the shaagoth and don’t want to pay out for new dragon ogres just now