[Archive] Thommy I need you

JonJon:

Oooh Great one ,master of the word and Father to chaos dwarves I beg a boon

Im trying to build a themed mining nomadic clan,I already have dawi wolfriders and bear riders,and I wanted to have giant wagons pulled by mammoths and stone horns etc etc,how would you begin to point one up. would hold 10 to 15 models and would be armored,basicly a slightly mobile pill box /wagon laager any ideas.

Jon

Thommy H:

Bear with me: I’m having a few drinks tonight but I’ll look at this tomorrow when I have a bit more time. Funnily enough I was thinking about how to point up a Mammoth howdah that uses the rules for the Arachnarok, Stonehorn, etc. earlier today. I have some good ideas for it. I’ll get back to you.

JonJon:

I was thinking more of a giant wagon that was pulled by them,but I am open to any ideas,have fun tonight

Cheers Jon

Thommy H:

Here’s the Stonehorn.

EDIT: Corrected version below.

JonJon:

You are amazing thanks

Thommy H:

Mammoth, and slightly corrected Stonehorn.

The Norse War Mammoth is my version of how the Mammoth should have been done in Tamurkhan, because I really hate the quasi-building rules that it has. I’ve added in the Dwarf option for you, JonJon - to make your “Chaos Dwarf Mammoth”, take Armoured Howdah, Norse Dwarfs and dedicate it to the Bull God.

JonJon:

Thommy that’s amazing again wow,do you have things you have pointed up on stand by,waiting in the que for someone to ask? How about a blimp

I think I should start a thread called stump Thommy .where every one comes up with a monster or troop you must point out

Thank you again

Jon

Thommy H:

I can do you a blimp if you want. No, I don’t have things pointed out - I can’t even guarantee the points in those PDFs are “right”, but I have a pretty good instinct for these things, and I think once you’re dealing in 10-Wound monstrosities like those, points costs aren’t that important. They should work well enough though.

The Mammoth is something I’ve been thinking about for a while now, and the Stonehorn chariot is totally off the wall, but as soon as you mentioned the idea you had, I got thinking about how to do it, and the idea of a “monstrous chariot” occurred to me. It doesn’t exist anywhere else in Warhammer, but I think it should be all right. If you can build the thing, I’d love to see it!

JonJon:

If you can point it, I with a little help from a toy maker I know will build it and yes I do want you to point up the blimp pretty pretty please with sugar on top lol

Jon

Thommy H:

Okay. I’m out all day today, but I’ll give it some thought tomorrow.

Thommy H:

Okay, this is pretty much cribbed from the rules for the Thunderfire Barge as detailed in the Warhammer rulebook, with a couple of modifications to make it more Chaos Dwarfy. The Thunderfire is actually a very elegant bit of rules writing - because it counts as a war machine, it can’t charge, and its High Flyer special rule means only other flyers can charge it. So it can float around the battlefield above everyone else untouched.

The points cost is…a little plucked out of the air (no pun intended). It’s a very hard one to price up properly. Clearly it needs to be worth at least as much as the weapons it carries, but it shares crew and Misfires are more dangerous but then it also flies and stuff, so I pretty much worked it out as about 500 points, then added 50% to that. It should probably work okay.

JonJon:

very happy.sorry I didnt post sooner caught the flu from my kids

Thommy H:

Apropos of absolutely nothing, here’s another similar unit if anyone wants to use it. Some guy on Warseer was trying to use the rules for a Dragon to represent it, so I made this to prevent any further Warhammer abuse. It’ll probably start an argument over there, so I shall release it into its natural environment of CDO.

JonJon:

Thanks again any idea what model to use