[Archive] Thorwick's 2000pt first 8th Ed Chaos Dwarf list (RH)

Thorwick:

Hello,

With the release of 8th Ed I have decided to make a 8th Ed Chaos Dwarf list.

Chaos Dwarf Lord

Sword of Bloodshed

Additional handweapon

Armour of Gazrakh

Seed of Rebirth

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Sivejir’s Hex Scroll

Level 2

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Level 2

Ruby Ring of Ruin

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Dispel Scroll

23 Chaos Dwarf Warrioirs

Command

23 Chaos Dwarf Warriors

Command

15 Blunderbuss

Command

40 Hobgoblins

Shields

40 Hobgoblins

Bows

Death Rocket

Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower

Earthshaker

10 Bull Centaurs

C&C Welcome

richard barby:

thats not a bad list but chuck in a bsb and it will have heaps more staying power to it and you on to a winner

Unzul:

3 chaos dwarf sorcerer are too much… 2 is better…

put a bsb, it’s too much usefull…

i don’t know if only one bolt is usefull, i don’t know…

Naughty-Dwarf:

Well, I haven’t really ever played, but I do have a great amount of lurking/theory-hammer experience; Lets give this a go.

Chaos Dwarf Lord
Sword of Bloodshed
Additional handweapon
Armour of Gazrakh
Seed of Rebirth

I don’t really like this build; He really does not have much survivability or damage output. With just a +1 armor save and +6 regen (which is negated by fire) he can’t stand up to much but rank and file. You cannot also take an additional hand weapon + a magic weapon to get another attack, so that is some wasted points. And he would be hitting with strength 4 …

This guy really needs rethinking. I like the Armor of destiny and the black hammer or ogre blade maybe. Gauntlets of Bazhrakk the cruel plus a different magic weapon could work. Or even a great weapon if you wanna give him more gadgets, though I don’t think that’d be as good. Though most people will say the armor of gazrakh and dawnstone is better from what I’ve seen on here.

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer
Sivejir’s Hex Scroll
Level 2

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer
Level 2
Ruby Ring of Ruin

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer
Dispel Scroll

The hex scroll is not very good in my opinion; he’d be better off with something else. You’d usually want to use that on a level 4, and he has a very good chance of resisting or just coming out a turn later. Maybe just the channeling staff? Cheap and somewhat effective.

The ruby ring is something I take in my army (or will), and is very useful hypothetically, maybe give this guy a powerstone as well, just to up the ante?

I like this last one, but I would either scrap him and give the dispel scroll to one or two and disregard the comment for that one or give him level 2 as well.

I’m not sure three are necessary, but it could work.

23 Chaos Dwarf Warrioirs
Command

23 Chaos Dwarf Warriors
Command

You wanna get these guys great weapons. Trust me. They are (theory-hammer) way better in almost every situation, and you can still keep the shield if you ever want to use it. You should also get them to 25 as well.

15 Blunderbuss
Command

I don’t think one small unit is going to do much. I’d say either get more, or don’t take any. I know you want to put every sorcerer here, but that is a bad idea.

40 Hobgoblins
Shields

With shields is the best bet now, because of that sexy +6 parry save now, and just disregarding light armor, so these are good. You might want a musician, but it is not necessary. Try to get another unit maybe? or cut them bare bones to two units of twenty without shields and use them as meat-shields?

40 Hobgoblins
Bows

No. Far too many for one unit. Units of 10 to 20 is the max you should do for these guys, and only because they can fire in two ranks now. Some might like this because of the volley rule, but it just does not do it for me.

Death Rocket

Looking over the rules, these are very beardy now. Good choice.

Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower

Try to squeeze in another one, they are cheap and great.

Earthshaker

Get another. Period. They are just that good. If you have to take out the death rocket for the points.
As I said earlier that is all lurker knowledge and theory-hammer, but I am pretty sure of it. Also, try for a chaos dwarf hero with the BSB (as in this edition they are far better, and will even keep your hobgoblins around awhile). Good luck! :hat off

Also it is good to see someone wearing that Gnoblar Tower banner, I am a lurker there as well :D.

Baggronor:

I can vouch for the great weapons, they are better than hand weapon and shield vs pretty much everybody. You need the damage output to win combat and survive, static combat res isn’t anywhere near as good as in 7th.

As already mentioned, the Lord is a bit meh. For the 226pts that he costs, you could get another unit. The Black Hammer is still the best weapon for him, but tbh, if he is on foot, I would just take a CD Hero General with Armour of Gazrakh and a great weapon, as he is already Ld10. A Taurus is the only real reason to take a CD Lord imo.

Instead of 3 little Sorcerers, why not take one big one? That way you get more of the spells you want. Or a Lv4 and a Lv2. You really don’t need more, as there are only 2D6 dice to go around. Also, what Lores are you planning on? I recommend (as always) Shadow for the Lv4 and Metal or Fire for the Lv2.

Warrior blocks should be fine as 24, I run mine this size too. 6 wide by 4 deep gives you a fair few attacks. They’re quite good, just don’t expect miracles :wink: The Banner of Eternal Flame is nice for one unit of Warriors or BBs, as Flaming Attacks re-roll to wound against enemies in buildings, nice for the Watchtower scenario.

Blunderbusses could be bigger, 15 is pretty small in 8th. 24 is ideal really.

For the Hobgobs, I say no armour at all, or shields and light armour. 6+ parry on its own just isn’t worth an extra 1/3 of the unit’s cost; with a 5+ armour save and the parry save they can mitigate a fair bit of average enemy attacks. For the archers, I would say 20 tops, for space considerations.

Double Earthshakers is the way to go, as Naughty says. Its almost rude not to. You need the firepower to give people a reason to close with your M3 army. I would try 2 Earthshakers, a Death Rocket and 2-4 Bolt Throwers.

BCs are just poor in 8th, I would swap them for Black Orcs/Sneaky Gits/Wolf Riders/more CDs.

And get a Battle Standard, you want those Hobgoblins re-rolling their steadfast Ld10 break tests :wink:

Alan the evil:

@ baggronor

I’m preatty agree with your tips… I’d like just add something.

Totally agree with the introduction of a sorcerer lord (good mainly for +4 to dispel)… but what do you think about:

4 level sorcerer of death 4+ save and stability rod.

1 level sorcerer of fire with signature spell and dispel

1 level sorcerer of metal with signature spell power scroll

BCs are not useless in 8th: try 5 simple BCs with additional hand weapon (I use 2 of them like fast cavalry/support charge unit/lateral battlefield guard) and tell me how they work!!

Sure: we must forget what they did in 7th but they always help me for something of important

about CD lord: it’s a matter of choices. I prefear my general both offensive and resistent (+1 A, +1 I, +1 R, +1 W, +50 pt of magic items and… -100 pt if my sorcerer lord explode - now not too improbable x.x)

Baggronor:

BCs are not useless in 8th: try 5 simple BCs with additional hand weapon (I use 2 of them like fast cavalry/support charge unit/lateral battlefield guard) and tell me how they work!!
Hmm ok, maybe not useless. I play against a lot of Elves/Skaven though, so they never do that well :) Just get shot or hit before they strike (DEs murder them x.x).

Do you find the 3 wizards worth their points? I never have enough dice, though I suppose Purple Sun helps with that :) The misfire is just bad for Dwarf initiative though.

Regarding Metal and Fire, the signature spells are definitely the ones you want, yeah. The other spells, not so much, though Flaming Sword is nice, particularly for the Watch Tower scenario.

Alan the evil:

3 sorcerers give me the possibility to have versatile magic phase
you’re not forced to do more than 1/2 spells if they work well!!

i surely have
- 1 spell vs heavy cavalry/high armour units (metal)
- 1 spell vs regeneration/low armour units (fire)
- 1 spell vs characters (death)

and if you usually have not enough dices remember that 3 sorecerers are 3 canalizations and every wounds by lore of death give you another power dice on 5+
also 3 sorcerer give you slots for more arcanes (a couple of scroll and sceptre of stability for the lord)