[Archive] Tournament and new FAQ for Chalice

Olfert:

Hi!

Im going to this tournament and in the tournament FAQ they say that the chalice of blood and darkness can only be used at the beginning of the magic phase.

Is is worth to take then?

If yes, in which situations should I use it in?

I really don’t know if I should take it, and if it’s worth it’s points.

Many thanks for replys!

-Kasper

Samanos:

this is kind of ridiculus, why they changed the ability of the item?

anyway in my opinion it is not worth it if they only allow you to use it at the beginning of the magic phase (again grrr).

the power of the chalice is that you can use it when you opponent has few dice left to pass your spell easily near the end of the phase.

now there is no point really.

Animatone:

Hi!

Im going to this tournament and in the tournament FAQ they say that the chalice of blood and darkness can only be used at the beginning of the magic phase.

Is is worth to take then?

If yes, in which situations should I use it in?

I really don't know if I should take it, and if it's worth it's points.

Many thanks for replys!

-Kasper

Olfert
What is up with everyone complaining about the LOA army list? First (due to excessive whining) they changed rules for the Destroyer and now tournaments are picking and choosing how other already clarified rules will be reinterpreted just to marginalize there effectiveness in play. What next, seriously what will be changed and or outlawed in the future?

Surprised the Magma Cannon still hasn't been retooled... but I'll hold my breath and wait and see.

Sorry to hear that Kasper

Da Crusha:

well, id check with the organizers exactly when at the start of the turn you can use it. if you can use it after magic dice have been rolled and channeled then it could still be worth it. during you turn, I would use it if Im feeling particularly lucky with a double 3 or less and more often with a double of 4 or greater. the reason I would use it on a double more often is because this is when you have the greatest amount of dice more than your opponent. I would use it during their turn if they rolled particularly low like 1 and 2, to try to deny them a magic phase all together.

rpitts2004:

Hope they are banning Book of Hoeth Then

Da Crusha:

Hope they are banning Book of Hoeth Then

rpitts2004
its usually banned at the tournaments I go to.

Olfert:

Thanks for all the replys guys. :hat off

I think I will drop the chalice.

Yes the book of hoeth is banned.

Geist:

Seriously I would ask the TO what the fuck man? Most of the INDYS I go to stick to the main book, army book and the erratas and thats that. No change about anything after the fact no custom errata just because. If they are going to do that to your item, then lets change how banner of world dragon works. Its a reach but not that much of a reach because they are after all changing the wording of errata. So lets change the wording of something else. Oh I know iron demon/skullcracker now gets 6d3 grinds instead of thunderstomps. Also has a 5+ ward. I mean if we are going down that slope lets go for full stupid?

MartyF:

So how are people playing the chalice? Do you take dice off after a spell has been cast but before the dispel attempt (as was suggested behaviour on the Forgeworld facebook page) or is this considered bad form?

MLP:

I play the chalice as forgeworld have stated. It may be used at any time in any magic phase. I find it best to use in the enemy turn when you have no dispel dice left and he has a few power dice. In your own turn it’s best used when you have many more dice than the enemy.

Just for clarity there’s been much discussion on the matter here

tamurkhan FAQ Wrote:

Q. Can I use the Chalice of Blood and Darkness�?Ts ability at any point in the Magic phase? A. Yes �?" at any point in the Magic phase of either player�?Ts turn.

Mike Newman:

I concur with the TO. Tis is the best way to rule the item, in line with every other similar item in warhammer

Blackspine:

so, then they should ban anything that takes dice away from you at any time?

Lore attribute of little waaagh? Anulian Crystal (ends phase)…more?

If done properly, the chalice is solid defense. Nowhere near as bad as Infernal Puppet…or cupped hands :~

cornixt:

I think the actual intent was/is for the chalice to be used before any spell has been cast, not between it getting cast and the dispel (which I think is more of a sneaky rules-lawyer thing). If a tournament were to rule it that way then it would make complete sense to me.

Vardan Painkiller:

But FAQ made the actual intent very clear, its not suppose to be used in the beginning , and never ment to be.