[Archive] über hobgoblins 8th edition

Rock Bottum:

With the new horde rules

2 blocks with 100 hobgoblins (10x10) with CD bsb and CD general within 12 inch ( behind them ).

Stuborn with ld 10 + reroll for breaktest and panic

What doyou guys think

Thommy H:

I think it would be incredibly boring to paint one hundred Hobgoblins.

Grimstonefire:

I think it’s actually 200…

There would not be a lot of point taking a hobgoblin horde beyond 40 models imo. Remember that you actually want to kill the enemy with it, and hobgoblins are not exactly awesome at that.

10X10 would probably block the movement of several units, and might block Line of sight.

Thommy H:

Yeah, you’d have an awesome battle of just sitting there with your huge blocks of unpainted figures, daring anyone to attack them, while the opponent just moves his figures around the table, avoiding everything in your “army”.

Obsidian:

Sounds boring alright! :smiley:

Da Crusha:

boring but effective. I was trying to utilize this strategy in a 1000 point tournament I did last weekend I was using units of 40 while taking charges by maraduers to front and flank. I found that 40 wasnt enough as the marauders throwing in as many as 20 Attacks every turn. combined with mark of nurgle lowering my WS. I actually really like the idea of running the units really big. 10X10 was an idea Ive been playing with. maybe just one unit for me though, to guard a flank. or to be a tarpit until something punchy shows up… Black orcs I guess, maybe a good use for bull centaurs since units cant step up to the flank

Nicodemus:

If you pull off amassing this force we need pictures!!

I’m not a fan of the dipped method for painting, but in this case it’s totally justifiable. Just slap-dash some green for skin, mithril silver for metal, maybe two different colours for pants and jacket and then dip them in batches by making a bracket that holds 10-20 at a time and you could be done in one weekend.

~N

Da Crusha:

I already have about 130 Hobgobbos (gnoblars) painted and have just built about 50 more, with another 30 ready for assembly. (I always liked playing hobgoblin horde)

grisnik:

I like this strategy… and I have 200+ NGs already painted up… 40 gnoblars… and 25 HGs… so maybe some proxies for a couple games to see the effectiveness of it might be in order :smiley:

nitroglysarine:

I have painted 7 units of 25 Empire militia (bit off topic) that could form a horde of 7*25=175 eeeep!

Baggronor:

Massive units of Hobgobs are definitely an asset, however I wouldn’t go Horde; Horde formation (10 wide) is only good if your troops do more damage than the enemy, otherwise all you’re doing is allowing more enemies into contact. Large blocks of 30-40 in more conventional formations will retain Steadfast for longer and are thus more useful imo.

100 in a unit is just too many, they’re wide open to get flanked/ganged up on, not to mention the spells that hit everyone in a unit :o (or Indy list Annihilators for that matter ;)). The idea is that they tie up things that you don’t want your good troops to have to fight. See how Skaven use their Slave units; that’s what RH Hobgobs should be doing.

If you want 10-wide damage-dealer units, go Sneaky Gits; they actually have the attacks and poison to do the job, although they have to be careful about who they engage.

There is no freaking way I would paint 200 Hobgobs myself even if I had the models :slight_smile: I can barely finish 2000pts of Dwarfs on their own.

while the opponent just moves his figures around the table, avoiding everything in your “army”.
Its pretty difficult to play the avoidance card these days, especially when the guys you’re trying to avoid are this cheap, another reason why 2 units of 30-40 in regular formation are better than 1 Horde of 100.

Vash:

a horde formation of sneaky gits is going to be a blast… i watched a friend of mine attack a unit of 4 OG Yeties with a horde formation of ghouls (also 2 attack poisened) with a little magic help (always strike first and rerolls to hit spell from VC). the sheer ammount of poison attacks killed all the Yeties before he had to roll to wound for his other hits:o.

i wouldn’t know if normal hobbo’s would be good with a horde, but the indy list hobbo’s are allowed to have spears and that’s certainly interesting (as in, more attacks).

Spikes:

i wouldn't know if normal hobbo's would be good with a horde, but the indy list hobbo's are allowed to have spears and that's certainly interesting (as in, more attacks).

Vash
Also: "...as in, use BFSP night goblins with spears".

Fallen246:

I think since hobgobs don’t count towards minimum core requirements, I’d rather spend my points elsewhere.

That and painting 200 hobgobs would bore me.

spiderman5z:

yes i run 100 hob goblins… i have exactly 4 painted :smiley:

Loki:

I field a unit of 200 night goblins in my orc and goblin army , its only for fun games but i have to say i never lost my rank bonus or stubborn one despite having the whole of the opposing army combat with my front rank :smiley:

Redhammer:

A unit of 200!? I would love to see that in action. Of course… One unlucky panic test. I bet a screaming skull catapult or two would ruin that unit’s day! Still… Keep that unit near the general and the BSB and it’s a hard one to move. I have planned to take units of 40 hobgoblins in my lists, and ranked deep I figure they will make nasty tarpits!

macbeth:

Three words: dwellers from bellow.

You can have as many hobgobs in your unit, you will still lose half of them each time the spell is cast…

Fequiil:

I field a unit of 200 night goblins in my orc and goblin army , its only for fun games but i have to say i never lost my rank bonus or stubborn one despite having the whole of the opposing army combat with my front rank :D

Loki
does you haz a picturez off zem in aksoin?:(

dromar:

Seriously, who is going to play such a big unit?

A horde of 40hobgoblins is good enough by 5x8 for 90pts with musician.