[Archive] Update on Tomb Kings

ChungEssence:

The Stalkers look much better than the snake riders.

Love the necrosphinx… but not the warsphinx. Glad tomb kings got an update

Necrotique:

Agreed on that.

@Thommy- since I have no idea where to find an answer/ don’t want to start a new thread, I’ve always wondered… Why don’t giants have the “hate” rule against ogres? Considering that Ogres are said throughout the fluff to have pretty much invaded the giants’ (then sky-titan’s) homes in the mountains, slaughtered them wholesale and chucked them out? Surely even though they’re stupid, giants would remember those times even with fear. I always found that rather stupid.

Also, there should be a Giant King / Skyfather hero sometime. If trolls can have one they should too - one less inbred and a little more wily than the others :wink:

:cheers

Thommy H:

I guess it’s probably mostly because the Ogre Kingdoms army - and with it the Sky Titan fluff - appeared so late in the development of the Warhammer backstory. Giants had been around for so many editions by then, and their rules had changed so little (fun fact: the rules for Giants’ special attacks are pretty much the only thing to survive since 4th Edition completely intact - even down to the wording!) that I guess it just never occurred to anyone to “reverse engineer” them to have some connection to Ogres. Plus, I guess even though the Giants are supposed to be a remnant of that race of Sky Titans, they can’t all be descended from the same nation - there must have been other enclaves, or feral ones not dissimilar to modern Giants or, failing that, mutated Chaos Giants in the north. Frankly, I don’t think the Sky Titan story is that well thought out!

However, I too would like to see more done with it. Giants are such an afterthought in almost every army in which they appear, and it would be really cool to see some sort of D&D style Frost or Storm Giants showing up randomly to represent a lost colony of Sky Titans or something.

Necrotique:

It really is sad how they didn’t go into much detail with them in the fluff. With Orcs and Goblins they simply say “they appear when a fight is to be had, or drinking to be done” which doesn’t do anything to explain their backstory.

I suppose that Chaos Giants could mate with normal ones to create different races, but that doesn’t explain why they’re so stupid due to inbreeding, as they’d have bred with different giant enclaves. I also think it’s pretty ridiculous that they all somehow manage to appear malnourished and deformed - surely some of them must stay in shape. I really hate the new model with its lanky arms and potbelly - which is why I have a plethora of other giant models to use in my army.

I’d love to see them create giant “characters” such as elemental giants with different inherent magical abilities, or increased strength or toughness. Sort of like the Mark of Chaos, but relative to the lands they hail from.

:cheers

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Well I would certainly also like to see elemental giants and the like, but somehow I feel it wouldn’t really be Warhammer anymore. Giants are supposed to be loners really, the last, degenerated descendants of a once powerful race that has been completely wiped out by the Ogres a long, long time ago.

Besides, we are really going awfully off-topic here…

Hashut’s Blessing:

For me, I’m not fussed about the whole animosity with the ogres thing. Dark elves hate everyone and dwarfs hate greenskins. Not really any other race-wide hatreds that I can think of and elves are in the category because they only like themselves, the dwarfs are in the category because they are the kind to not let something go… Even high elves don’t gain hatred against dark elves who betrayed them. Giants are too drunk to care and it’s just that ogres were able to fight pretty much one on one with them, whereas other races find it difficult. Net result: it’d be like the Empire knights hating Bretonnian knights - both are similar in strength and combat prowess and can kill each other, but it doesn’t create race-wide hatred. (Poor example because they are both “good guys” and tend to fight alongside each other, not against each other, but the comparison is visible.)

Ultimately, giants are constantly said to be stupid, regardless of where you look, whereas hating ogres isn;t mentioned all that much. Why don’t giants suffer from Stupidity then?

Thommy H:

Yeah, that’s probably a better point - special rules are always pretty arbitrary. Why do Orcs and Goblins suffer from Animosity but, say, Beastmen don’t? And, as you say, HB, I can’t see a Giant really mustering up the will to hate anyone or anything.

Bolg:

.... The riders clinging onto snakes looks more ridiculous than a tea cosy on a hedgehog.

Hashut's Blessing
oeeh I love Mrs Tiggy-Winkle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Beatrix_Potter,_Mrs_Tiggy-Winkle,_Frontispiece.jpg) but yes yes the snake riders look stupid, and all the monstrous things are but ugly to. and seriously, Toughness 8?? so my hammerers and longbeards with great weapons still need 6's to wound???

[edit] and on the off topic bit: I want my Book of grudges back, my dwarfs need to hate more than just the O&G[/edit]

Hashut’s Blessing:

In reference to Toughness 8, don’t the things that have it have no armour save? Also, Strength 1 wounds them on 6s too, so use the Sepulchral Stalkers against them (or anything else with lots of attacks instead of high strength ones). I think that it scares people, but they can also only get one wound back per turn at best… Lots of attacks at any strength and law of averages should balance life out.

snowblizz:

In reference to Toughness 8, don't the things that have it have no armour save? Also, Strength 1 wounds them on 6s too, so use the Sepulchral Stalkers against them (or anything else with lots of attacks instead of high strength ones). I think that it scares people, but they can also only get one wound back per turn at best... Lots of attacks at any strength and law of averages should balance life out.

Hashut's Blessing
5+ armour save, so anything with low strength you can ignore 1/3 off. Law of averages and so on. Which despite not making sense, absolutely do not apply in any game of Warhammer I've ever seen. ;-)

Baggronor:

My Witch Elves with Banner of Murder are itching to have a pop at a sphinx :slight_smile:

Really liking the TKs book, a lot of interesting ideas and combinations. And the artwork is mega.

so my hammerers and longbeards with great weapons still need 6’s to wound???
Yep, but your cannon still needs 2s :slight_smile:

nitroglysarine:

My Witch Elves with Banner of Murder are itching to have a pop at a sphinx :)

Really liking the TKs book, a lot of interesting ideas and combinations. And the artwork is mega.
so my hammerers and longbeards with great weapons still need 6's to wound???
Yep, but your cannon still needs 2s :)

Baggronor
I like your thinking! :hat off

Pyro Stick:

A few new Finecast Tomb Kings pre orders are up:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440004a&rootCatGameStyle=wh

tbh those models look awful. It looks like they have gone back a generation in style. Looks like my plans to restart my TK’s was shortlived. If the liche and necrotect were skeletal i would buy them but they look like vampire counts in tk armour as they are. I wish i hadnt ordered the army book now. I did email Wayland and tried to cancel my order which has been Awaiting Stock for almost a month although they assure me that means its in queue to be dispatched so they couldnt cancel it. Im never using Wayland again. Maelstrom would have delivered weeks ago.

£36 for the Casket of Souls (i swear that cost at least £10 less when i bought my metal one) makes a unit of Infernal Guard look like a good deal.

nitroglysarine:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440004a&prodId=prod1160146a - the casket of souls looks exactly the same as the old pictures of one, I don’t see any more detail on it… I think they have just slapped a ‘fice cast’ logo on the picture.

Thommy H:

That’s because the pictures in the Armies books are painted resin masters. We’ve been looking at resin models all along.

nitroglysarine:

That's because the pictures in the Armies books are painted resin masters. We've been looking at resin models all along.

Thommy H
Ah right, has that been true for a while (or just this ed)

Thommy H:

It’s been that way for ages, as far as I know. They make a number of resin masters from the green (because the metal casting process destroys the original) in case something goes awry. The 'Eavy Metal team then gets one of those to paint and that’s the one that appears on the website, in the Armies books, White Dwarf, etc. It has the added advantage of being a better quality figure too.

Citadel Finecast is just those small run of masters being produced en masse and sold.

Baggronor:

I went to the plaza store yesterday and they were really bigging up the resin hybrid thing like its the best thing since, well, metal. Apparently its so amazing that a dot of superglue can hold a massive joint in place and pinning is a thing of the past. I took that with a large handful of salt, but the news that it can be bent/warped in hot water is interesting. Or does all resin do that? I haven’t a clue as the Iron Daemon is my first ever resin model.

Thommy H:

I believe that’s a property of most resins - the ones used in miniature manufacturing anyway. “Resin” as a descriptive term is actually about as useful as “metal”: it covers a multitude of materials.

Oh, and I never pinned a model in my life anyway. At least now I don’t have to feel guilty about being dangerously incompetent when it comes to assembling large models, I guess.

Baggronor:

Oh, and I never pinned a model in my life anyway. At least now I don't have to feel guilty about being dangerously incompetent when it comes to assembling large models, I guess.
I assembled 2 War Hydras for a friend. Never again. 2 pins in each neck. *shudder* Awful model.