[Archive] Update on Tomb Kings

Necrotique:

Update on the whole new tomb kings situation.

Went into my local GW today and they had some (store only, not for sale) Tomb Kings. They had the snake-rider things and a Necrosphinx out.

The army book was also on display and is done the same as the new Orcs and Goblins codex.

To start, the snake rider things (sorry for lack of name) look even more ridiculous in real life than on GWs site.

Also, the Necrosphinx is MASSIVE. It hangs about half over the chariot base on either side, but is luckily tall enough for anything smaller than an ogre to stand under. I don’t think it would work for a Lammasu conversion simply because of how bulky and static it is.

The book is beautifully done and I’d consider getting one even though I don’t collect them.

Hope the update isn’t all old news :slight_smile:

:cheers

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Well I certainly appreciate the info on the Tomb Kings book. I will most probably get me one of these, even if I’m not yet convinced of the new Tomb Kings style.

Necrotique:

I don’t really like the new style either, and the sphinx is truly colossal. I’d say it’s a tad bigger than a hell pit abomination but hangs over with its weapons and tail.

Another problem I had with it is that it’s weapons (at least on the store one) looked like giant brass versions of Ogre Ironfists, which seemed a bit odd to me. But seriously though, the snake-riders look ridiculous.

richard barby:

snake riders look rubbish i have had a close up look at them

rules wise killing blow everywhere on just about everything monsterslots of killing blow some have heroic killing blow magic works like other armies now they can fail to cast and misscast

Thorne:

I think many many people will be sculpting their own snake riding guys if I am honnest.

bas_2312:

I though the snake guys looked better in person, especially their shields.

Fallen246:

I like the flavour and the appearance of the sepulchral stalkers better than that snake surfers anyway. So I’d probably just use the riders for some extra Tomb Guard, if I were to collect them.

richard barby:

I like the flavour and the appearance of the sepulchral stalkers better than that snake surfers anyway. So I'd probably just use the riders for some extra Tomb Guard, if I were to collect them.

Fallen246
dito that having them with out the rider looks better

Hashut’s Blessing:

My store said that they wouldn’t get the Tomb Kings book until next Friday and that the only one that would get it sooner is the HQ because it’s right there. Apparently, there was a printing problem of some kind…

As said, it seems that everything has Killing Blow (the Necrosphinx does and even has one attack with Heroic Killing Blow, the warsphinx riders have it, the Snake-riders have it, I think the sepulchral stalkers have it, etc etc). The snakes look cool, the riders look cool, the sepuclhral stalkers look cool. The riders clinging onto snakes looks more ridiculous than a tea cosy on a hedgehog.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Is there any mention on the original Bone Giant, or is he lost for all time?

Thommy H:

I’m pretty sure he’s the Necrolich Titan now.

Loki:

Seems like most people are divided on the topic of the snake riders , i for one think they look rubbish , but i do like the stalkers they just seem to work better

nitroglysarine:

would they be better if they were sitting on the snakes? say on a saddle?

The snake surfers just look cartoonish.

Baggronor:

Just have the snakes on their own. I saw them yesterday, they look very cool, much bigger than I first thought too.

Thommy H:

Yeah, I think they’re 3-Wound Monstrous Cavalry, aren’t they? I wonder if any unit in the game’s ever going to have 2 Wounds…

Baggronor:

I wonder if any unit in the game's ever going to have 2 Wounds...
Bloodcrushers.

Thommy H:

Something I found out today in passing from Warseer: the breath weapon upgrade on the *Sphinx is called “Fiery Roar”. That is so dumb it makes my teeth hurt. How can a sound be fiery? Hire me to write your stuff, you idiots.

Necrotique:

Haha, almost as good as if it was called shining roar. I really do wish their writing would improve in general; the amount of typos and mistakes/inconsistencies I find in the new books is amazing. Looking back at the old Realm of Chaos army books, the amount of mistakes is minimal compared to the modern ones. It’s kind of disappointing.

Thommy H:

Well, that’s Ricky Priestly for you - there’s no denying that the general quality of the writing in GW publications has taken a nosedive since the days of him, Nigel Stillman (although he did tend to overuse exclamation marks, and was apparently allergic to commas), Andy Chambers and even Gav Thorpe. Jervis Johnson is still around, but he doesn’t appear to write much. Back then, the games development guys were writers first, gamers a distant second. I think it makes for much better rules, myself, paradoxic as that may seem.

If I see the phrase “so it was” in another Armies book or Codex, I’m going to go to Nottingham and start punching throats.

nitroglysarine:

Something I found out today in passing from Warseer: the breath weapon upgrade on the *Sphinx is called "Fiery Roar". That is so dumb it makes my teeth hurt. How can a sound be fiery? Hire me to write your stuff, you idiots.

Thommy H
.....Curry?