[Archive] Updates on GW vs. Chapterhouse

Nicodemus:

Bell of Lost Souls has a short update on the legal proceedings of the copyright case involving GW vs. Chapterhouse.

Briefly, two years ago Games Workshop went after Chapterhouse Studios for copyright infringement due to the names of some of the parts they sell. Chapterhouse makes conversion parts which are compatible with Games Workshop kits - and they have often indicated that these components are specifically for GW kits (unlike other companies who make no reference to GW).

It also sounds like, though the course of arguments, that GW took issue with the likeness of symbols and other identifiers on some of the Chapterhoues conversion parts as well, as Chapterhouse called an expert witness in military symbology to testify, with some very good arguments made that poke holes in much of GW tired and time-worn arguments.

If you want to read a whole lot more (and waste a lot of time reading people’s opinions), head on over to Dakka Dakka for a hot steaming cup of their extensive thread on the subject.

~N

P.S. Go Chapterhouse!

Vogon:

I did like the testimony, very interesting.

Thanks

Vogon

rpitts2004:

Seems like CHS lawyer is pasting GW’s =)

JMR:

I read some transcripts of what was said in court. A rather interesting read. Some discussion about GW having listed “Halberd” as a trademark as well as “skull” or “Wolf fur” and why GW have listed these things as trademarks and what they exactly mean by it.

Like I said, interesting, but it also reminds me how glad I can be that I didn’t choose a legal study :wink:

theforgefather:

I read some transcripts of what was said in court. A rather interesting read. Some discussion about GW having listed "Halberd" as a trademark as well as "skull" or "Wolf fur" and why GW have listed these things as trademarks and what they exactly mean by it.

Like I said, interesting, but it also reminds me how glad I can be that I didn't choose a legal study ;)

JMR
Whattttt They really copyrighted them....?

Typical GW......... :P

cornixt:

Trademarked, not copyrighted. VERY different.

Willmark:

Go Chapterhouse!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.