[Archive] Uses and logistics of the Iron Daemon (Evil Train)

Astrogothic:

I was just contemplating some of the potential logistics and uses of the Land Train.

Do the war-machines on the carriage have LOS over the Iron Daemon if you build them high enough?

I was thinking about using a train with one carriage (no movement penalty) loaded with a Rocket and a magma cannon and just cruising around and causing trouble until I dump the carriages and charge in with the Iron Daemon (equipped as a skull-cracker) possibly in concert with some flanking Bull Centaurs.

Any thoughts?

Ideas for utilizing the Iron Daemon? (Is it a mini-stank?)

Baggronor:

Iirc, it can’t move and fire the war machines on the carriages.

(Is it a mini-stank?)
It is indeed a poor man’s STank, though looks a million times cooler.

I’ll be using mine as a threat piece, to push forwards to threaten infantry and force people to deal with it. Probably Skullcracker for the extra hittiness.

rabotak:

Iirc, it can't move and fire the war machines on the carriages.
(Is it a mini-stank?)
It is indeed a poor man's STank, though looks a million times cooler.

I'll be using mine as a threat piece, to push forwards to threaten infantry and force people to deal with it. Probably Skullcracker for the extra hittiness.

Baggronor
i agree with everything mr. baggronor says... it's a wonderful threat-piece, though in contrast to ST, i wouldn't like to leave it completely unsupported, save the skullcracker option, which can dish out enough attacks to cause distraction on its own, at least for a time. i also like the cannonaded version as babysitter for warmachines, keeps l-cav and flyers at bay, and can still rampage forward if needed.

Hashutsep:

The Skullcracker option for the Iron Daemon engine isn’t released yet, am I right?

Discoking:

The Skullcracker option for the Iron Daemon engine isn't released yet, am I right?

Hashutsep
Lifted from the rules PDF:

The Steam Cannonade may be replaced with a Skullcracker...........+30 points

Skullcracker
Designed for crushing fortifications and walls, the Skullcracker is
a hissing and grinding arcane-mechanical conglomeration of iron
hammers, hacking blades and brutal picks designed to literally
pulverise and shred anything unfortunate to be caught in front of the
machine.

When conducting its impact hits or Thunderstomp attack,
an Iron Daemon equipped with a Skullcracker may roll 2D6 instead
of the usual D6 when rolling for its number of hits.
In addition, in the case of scenario rules where buildings can be
destroyed, hits caused by the Skullcracker gain a +1 bonus on To
Wound rolls against buildings and fortifications.

Hashutsep:

Yeah, I know that. I was thinking about the physical model, but it seems that I voiced my question poorly :stuck_out_tongue: I saw some pics of that model in the past, and I’m eagerly awaiting that model!

KingFisher:

I use it in conjunction with a K’daai destroyer. Specifically the hellbound skullcracker version. T8 W8 S7 with 2d6+2 impact hits and 2d6 Stomps plus 3 attacks from the crew makes it a great way to tie up high strength blocks of infantry that might kill the Destroyer.

I put the Destroyer out on the far flank and the ID the next model in.

Ideally both are close enough to my Sorcerer-Prophet to catch a cast of Hatred on turn 1.

Hatred on impact hits/thunderstomp makes a huge difference to winning combat on the first turn.

You use the k’daai destroyer to pursue anything that flees, or you use it to charge anything immune to stomps like chariots/MI which are an easy way to tie up the ID all game.

Since anything wounds on a 6 and the hellbound ID is T8 W8 might as well throw it at their unit of greatweapons/High T or w.e models hit the biggest meanest block they have.