[Archive] Using Models Trains

Ben Saunders:

I’ve recently been toying with the idea of converting model trains into war machines. It seems like a reasonable compromise between paying GW/FW prices and a complete scratchbuild. However, I’m having trouble finding things of a suitable size.

Something like this looks the part:

http://dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=579

But I think it’s probably a bit too small - not that I’ve been able to find particularly clear sizing information. Does anyone have any experience of doing this? Or advice?

(I know some general stuff about scale, with 1:32 or 1:48 often being most usable for Warhammer - but here of course I’m not looking for something to be the size of a train in Warhammer, but rather for it to be the size of an Iron Daemon model.)

Geist:

Ok so long as the scale is correct you have a good base. But a few changes will be needed.

1 Strip anything that looks safe off the model.

2 Use plastic card to add plates, use a hole punch to create rivets.

3 You will need at least one dwarf in a dynamic pose.

4 Avoid the temptation to encase the cab. While this might seem a good idea at some point, you will think about it, it will not go along with the general feel of dawi zharr machines. Which currently are very open very exposed to the world.

Other wise mess it up a lil make it look more dirty and industrial and you will have a good irondemon/skull cracker. Use plastic pipes to create a barrel and paper clips for piping.

Fuggit Khan:

Something like this looks the part:
http://dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=579

But I think it's probably a bit too small - not that I've been able to find particularly clear sizing information. Does anyone have any experience of doing this? Or advice?

Ben Saunders
I tried the same thing almost 2 years ago...as far as I know, there are only 2 models made of the Stevensons Rocket. The Airfix kit is way too small (judging on the price, that is the one in your link), even a gnoblar would look big riding it. The Academy (later reissued by MiniCraft) kit is much too big (and a bit pricey due to it's size)...the barrel on the back tender is almost the size of a tea cup...it's a big kit.
If you want kit-bashing parts, the MiniCraft kit is your best option, the wheels, steam boiler and smoke stack are all usable on a smaller frame.
MiniCraft actually makes other kits of various steam locomotives, all smaller in size than the Stevensons Rocket...check those out for some more inspirations/options.
:hat off

Abecedar:

I haven’t had much luck doing this myslf. I didn’t try real hard though and I was only looking locally. A decent hobby store somewhere should have the stock you could physically look at (which I prefer to do) before deciding.

HO scale the tracks gauge is 16.5mm wide, good for ore carts and stuff I think

O scale the tracks are 32mm / about 1 1/4 inches wide and 1 scale is 45mm wide.

after that I don’t know.

Ben Saunders:

Ok so long as the scale is correct you have a good base. But a few changes will be needed.

Geist
Yes, conversion will definitely be needed. That's not the problem; I'm just after an appropriate 'base model'.
as far as I know, there are only 2 models made of the Stevensons Rocket. The Airfix kit is way too small (judging on the price, that is the one in your link), even a gnoblar would look big riding it. The Academy (later reissued by MiniCraft) kit is much too big (and a bit pricey due to it's size)...the barrel on the back tender is almost the size of a tea cup...it's a big kit.

Fuggit Khan
Yes, Dapol now sell what used to be the Airfix kit. It's 1:76 iirc. The other one, which I also saw, is 1:26 so I thought that would be too big - nice idea of scavenging for parts though.
I haven't had much luck doing this myslf. I didn't try real hard though and I was only looking locally. A decent hobby store somewhere should have the stock you could physically look at (which I prefer to do) before deciding.

HO scale the tracks gauge is 16.5mm wide, good for ore carts and stuff I think
O scale the tracks are 32mm / about 1 1/4 inches wide and 1 scale is 45mm wide.
after that I don't know.

Abecedar
Not sure about local hobby stores - partly because I've just moved to a new city and lack my own transport - but in my experience most of the stuff is in boxes and it's pretty hard to really know what the kit you want looks like unboxed and assembled.

Thanks for the gauge advice though. For a 50x100 chariot base, I guess '1 scale' is the right width to be looking at. Only problem is whether it's far too long. (I did look at one kit - Revell's 'big boy' locomotive - which is apparently 460mm long!)

Abecedar:

......................... most of the stuff is in boxes and it's pretty hard to really know what the kit you want looks like unboxed and assembled.

......................... Only problem is whether it's far too long. (I did look at one kit - Revell's 'big boy' locomotive - which is apparently 460mm long!)

Ben Saunders
You could always ask nicely to look at the contents..

And thats what saws are for.

Bloodbeard:

Go to a toy store. Since you need to give your model/toy a lot of warhammer bit treatment anyway, a realistic model aint a must.

I’ve found a lot of toys fitting quite well in size, because the proportions is often at bit off (they’re shorter). If you rip of the roof, you can easily end up with a good platform for crew.

They chaos tank sprue is great, spears too, chains and extra rivets from thin plastic rod. That’s what conversions often need “spikes n rivets” to look warhammer enough.

Ben Saunders:

They chaos rank sprue is great, spears too, chains and extra rivets from thin plastic rod. That's what conversions often need "spikes n rivets" to look warhammer enough.

Bloodbeard
Don't forget the skulls...

The Immortal Beard:

Don't forget the skulls...

Ben Saunders
:hat off

Skulls make them go faster and fighter better. Much like having painted models. Never leave home without either!