[Archive] Vancouver Olympics -2010

Hashut’s Blessing:

I’d like to point out that, for the first time since 1982 or 1972 (I forget, both were before I was born, lol), England won a gold medal for a single person event!

That my tuppenny on it :smiley:

Willmark:

WoW , the USA hockey team looked on top of their game tonight , Miller is an awesome goalie. Who does USA play in the next round ?

Alric
Miller is indeed awesome the US was saying it felt like the Canadians had 9 guys it there shooting.

As to next opponent it is not determined until today's games.

HB- its the first time since 1980 for the UK,

Hashut’s Blessing:

I was close for someone that wasn’t paying attention and sees the news (at best) one every other month, lol :smiley:

But the UK did something decent for once, lol :smiley: It just amuses me that we don’t even have a practice run for the event :stuck_out_tongue:

BilboBaggins:

I don’t think they are rubbing it in as they are in surprised shock. The USA hockey team only seems to get good in the Olympics once every generation or so.

Willmark:

Indeed. One of my first sporting memories is watching the US beat the USSR. It happened on my birthday too: February 22, 1980.

Then they came from behind to beat Finland and win the gold, got to watch that too! Great stuff.

Lord Archaon:

Too bad Canada and Russia will play in play off, i was hoping to see both of them in the final again. :frowning:

Willmark:

Yowza, Canada 7 Russia 3, Russia looked flat the entire game.

snowblizz:

Then they came from behind to beat Finland and win the gold, got to watch that too! Great stuff.

Willmark
Booo hiss!

Willmark:

Not apoligizing for that one Dude. :wink: Beating Finland was not a surething, but they did it. But in a way it was anti-climatic.

People today do not realize just how dominating the USSR teams were: they hadn’t lost a Olympic game in 12 years; they had won every single gold medal since 1956 except 1960 when the US won gold. They beat the NHL all stars regularily in the Challenge Cup. And perhaps the best goalie in the world at that time in Tretiak.

For the US using college kids that had been playing together for months to beat what were in essence professionals was/is unbelievable.

In short Finland was wrong place, wrong time.

snowblizz:

Not apoligizing for that one Dude. ;) Beating Finland was not a surething, but they did it. But in a way it was anti-climatic.

Willmark
Totally stepping on the Swedes' toes though. That's usually their "thing". I'm relieved to hear "we" won against the Czechs. Usually in the world championships we meet in the quarter finals and drop out of the medals.
People today do not realize just how dominating the USSR teams were: they hadn't lost a Olympic game in 12 years; they had won every single gold medal since 1956 except 1960 when the US won gold. They beat the NHL all stars regularily in the Challenge Cup. And perhaps the best goalie in the world at that time in Tretiak.

Willmark
For the US using college kids that had been playing together for months to beat what were in essence professionals was/is unbelievable.[/quote]
Indeed. The Sovjet hockey team was a professional propaganda piece and was supported as such. Miles better than most who actually had OTHER things to with their time than to train hockey to show off the superiority of the communist blah blah etc etc

[/quote]
Yes, THAT concept is painfully familiar. Been living next to an aggressive

BilboBaggins:

People today do not realize just how dominating the USSR teams were: they hadn't lost a Olympic game in 12 years; they had won every single gold medal since 1956 except 1960 when the US won gold. They beat the NHL all stars regularily in the Challenge Cup. And perhaps the best goalie in the world at that time in Tretiak.

Willmark
Except for one team in the USA the USSR Red Army team was unbeatable.

But they were scared to come back on the ice when they faced the Broad Street Bullies (Philadelphia Flyers of the mid-late 70's.)

Swissdictator:

I still want figure skating with land mines.

Either that or polar bear wrestling.

Of course if I designed the Olympics people would be flying home with t-shirts saying “I survived the Decap-athlon.” Complete with a picture of a bear holding a chainsaw.

I’d also be for combining speed skis (the skiers would have a target hanging from their back) and the biathlon.

At least we wouldn’t have a lot of repeat winners. This moment of morbidity brought to you by the Swiss Propaganda Ministry.

GRNDL:

http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/article/773027--canada-beats-u-s-in-ot-for-hockey-gold

Hmmmm, sorry, what was that about Canada and the pre-lim hockey game?

Oh Canaaddaaaaaaaaaa!

�-O�T� �-OGo Canada Go �-O�T� �-O

black hammer:

:(:(:(:(:frowning:

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Border Reiver:

Alright we won’t rub it in too hard. A great team is measured by its opposition.

cornixt:

That was an awesome game. Last minute goal, then overtime.

Willmark:

Indeed, Congrats Canada.

I will point out however the US national team is getting ever closer to narrowing the gap, next time around there are going to be some very big names that will not be there like Pronger and Niedmeyer. Which is ironic since I’m a Ducks fan.