[Archive] varnish / hard coat

Moloch:

Hi Guys,

I know that there are several suggestion all over the web, but my question is actually related to chaos dwarf big hat classic models. do you varnish your chaos dwarves metal models?

Is there a products that works better than the others and that make them look cool and not super shiny and brighty?

I’m quite annoyed by model loosing colours while carrying them but I don’t want them to look glaced.

I had a pot of old citadel hardcoat but I din’t even try it: I remeber that my soldiers looked really weird after applying it.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Jasko:

Hi Guys,

I know that there are several suggestion all over the web, but my question is actually related to chaos dwarf big hat classic models. do you varnish your chaos dwarves metal models?

Is there a products that works better than the others and that make them look cool and not super shiny and brighty?

I'm quite annoyed by model loosing colours while carrying them but I don't want them to look glaced.

I had a pot of old citadel hardcoat  but I din't even try it: I remeber that my soldiers looked really weird after applying it.

Thank you :)

Moloch
Hey Moloch,
so, once a model is considered finished, I would definitely varnish it! Doesn't matter if it is metal or plastic or resin. It has been a long time since I've considered a model finished, therefore it has also been a long time since I varnished something :) Just make sure you get matte varnish and not gloss varnish, maybe try it out on something unimportant first and/or get it at a store where someone can help you with chosing the right one. Because there definitely is the right one. :hat off

Abecedar:

I have used Testors Dull Cote with success. Paint on, I have not used the spray on type.

Mainly because the models in question needed a Matt finish and the AP dip/stain made them

very shiny.

Jasko:

I have to ammend/change my earlier reply. Thanks for bringing up the question, Moloch! Comes at the right time for me, I will soon have ti varnish my models but did not yet really think about it. I just had a first look.

So first again concerning the material: the general consensus seems to be that well-undercoated plastic models maybe do not need to be varnished, but especially metal seems to really need it. So go ahead! It also depends if you’re more on the collector/display side of the hobby or if you’re actively playing, so touching and moving the models more. If they’re basically painted and then just sit somewhere, varnishing can be ommitted, if you’re actively using them, you should varnish.

Concerning gloss/satin/matte: So a glossy varnish apparently offers greater protection than a matte one. So for maximum protection people first apply glossy varnish and then remove the gloss by applying matte varnish on top. Satin varnish is more or less the middle-ground.

I still have an unopened can of Citadel varnish (not the current one though, the last iteration) at home and will have to try it out.

Moloch:

Thank you for your quick replies :slight_smile:

@Jasko: I think that I really need to varnish them because I noticed that metal models ususally get chips and paint damages easy to spot quite often when I transport and play them.

They are well painted (at least for my standard :slight_smile: ) and I’m really in love with them…so I’ll go for it and follow your advice.

Parish:

Yes I only do it for metal miniatures, though be cautious with that as it may sometimes be thick depending on what you use and ruins the miniature.(spray)
When I use them I also use gloss vanish (brush) on metalic parts otherwise it really kills a lot of you work, but at leats it protects your mini ^^