[Archive] Verdict on new White Dwarf?

Grimstonefire:

Thoughts?

I had loads of things I planned to write but reading that thing about Kera has knocked them clean out of my mind.

zobo1942:

Still haven’t picked it up… I am hoping it contains some terrain building articles.

Thommy H:

No terrain-making I’m afraid, but there is an article on one of the Warhammer World tables that involves a lot of kit-bashing and has some WIP shots.

Overall, I quite liked it. The rules content is good, but I don’t have all the various 40K board games they’ve included stuff for so a lot of it goes over my head. It’s a pretty meaty magazine though, and I can’t complain about a free £18 figure.

Helblindi:

I’ve spent a lot of time reading it. So I feel it was worth the buy, especially with the mini. Probably not gonna buy every month though.

Bitterman:

From the other thread:

Mine’s arrived… and… it’s actually quite good.

It’s not perfect (letters page is a complete waste of space, no sense of coherency to the layout, far too much AoS guff) but it contains actual content. While obviously there’s still a base level of “buy this”, a bit more so than I’d really like, it’s not “BUY THIS BUY THIS BUY THIS” on repeat like it was for years. The weekly, and the last couple of years of the monthly, were an insult to gamers’ collective intelligence. This is actually interesting in places… and after an hour or so, I’m still not finished reading it (the few weeklys I picked up, I was done with in five minutes).

Well worth picking up to form your own opinion.

Bitterman
I’m certainly not going to complain about a cover giveaway, but it does amuse me to see it described as an “£18 model”. It’s a £5 model in any sane world, but one that GW normally charge £18 for. Shrug… you pays your money (or not, as a free gift) and takes your choice, I suppose.

Grimstonefire:

I thought it was really good actually.  It’s lacking story content imo, just delving into existing fluff.  It does have the nostalgia of mentioning previous white dwarfs, which sadly I’m old enough to have bought when they were out the first time!

Loads of add on content for people who happen to have all the new games they’ve bought out.  So far from just a sales mag.

The model is a cool model, just have to see how he’ll look on a 25mm square!

Edit:

Check out November white dwarf

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/09/gw-november-white-dwarf-cover-spotted.html

Territhael:

I thought it was really good actually.  It's lacking story content imo, just delving into existing fluff.  It does have the nostalgia of mentioning previous white dwarfs, which sadly I'm old enough to have bought when they were out the first time!

Loads of add on content for people who happen to have all the new games they've bought out.  So far from just a sales mag.

The model is a cool model, just have to see how he'll look on a 25mm square!

Edit:

Check out November white dwarf

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/09/gw-november-white-dwarf-cover-spotted.html

Grimstonefire
Got mine on a 25mm square. Not the prettiest, toes overhang even when posed diagonally. But he'll make a nice unit champ for my khorn warrior block for my WoC.

Admiral:

Forgot to post here earlier. The new White Dwarf is much better than what we’ve overall seen since the infamous Giant issue! Enjoyable read that lasts a little while, unlike previously.

Was the original watering-down due to internal design decisions? Budget cuts to the White Dwarf team? Idiot decisions from on top regarding content allowed in WD for some obscure legal reason not fit for sane men to ponder? I still wonder, what the heck happened to our great White Dwarf back then? It’s obviously not impossible for GW to produce something of not too distantly similar quality/structure, as is evident with the latest WD change, so why the overly long lapse?

Happy to have a readable magazine back. Won’t subscribe since Lotr and Warhammer Fantasy with appendages are my main interests and these are currently not catered to, but will buy an issue every now and then to check it out.

Willmark:

White dwarf head peaks and valleys all through it’s run. There would be times where would be good for several issues in a row say maybe 6 to 12 or be like 4 to 5 that were really bad.

The new one? I’ve skimmed a few and I’m not impressed.

Helblindi:

I keep finding mysefl buying them and reading almost all the content. Not necessarily because it’s so good, but to get transported into the fantasy and 40K universe for a while :slight_smile:

Roark:

I’ve bought the last 4 and have really enjoyed them. Way better than the weekly+Visions days. It helps that I love AoS of course.