[Archive] Veteran Fantasy players

brotsorrow:

Hey guys, i just noticed after my several year lay-off from warhammer, that dragon ogres and shaggoths are no longer part of the beastman army… WTF? How are they considered warriors of chaos before beasts of chaos?

My army was led by a shaggoth with the mark of slaanesh - great weapon and always strikes first… deadly :stuck_out_tongue:

Chico:

Well the idea being that Shaggoths and Dragon Ogres tend to not live in the deep forests rather in tall mountain ranges in the Chaos Wastes, and plus Beastmen no longer get marks dew to the fact they are already '‘Children of the Gods’'

Plus on a gaming view point the Shaggoth replaced the need for a Mino Character, now Mino Characters are very very good.

Beastmen don’t get much love atm, with 1 or 2 builds being used and thats it. But i still ,love my Beastmen.

cornixt:

I don’t think it was intended initially. They stuck them in the Warriors book, then when they got around to the Beasts they thought they shouldn’t have too many duplicate units (so they created several new beasts units with no models for a few years!)

Discoking:

I think they wanted to separate the beasts from WoC… And also from O&G. Hense no trolls either.

But they have their own monsters now. And minos fill the niche for trolls.

However, I feel that shaggoths should still be available.

And for fluff reasons a Daemon Prince option for a Lord or maybe a rare.

brotsorrow:

Thanks guys, what you have written here makes sense and lessens my disappointment

Sherlocko:

Well the idea being that Shaggoths and Dragon Ogres tend to not live in the deep forests rather in tall mountain ranges in the Chaos Wastes, and plus Beastmen no longer get marks dew to the fact they are already ''Children of the Gods''

Chico
Wich is kind of funny since almost all the mountains in the Chaos Wastes is surrounded by forests. :P

brotsorrow:

And the story to introduce the shaggoth was a very acceptable one imho

Geist:

Back in the day it was all the same giant and very confusing book. As time marches on it has changed to show that the Dragon Orges and Shagoths were (or became) worshiped by the cults of chaos that hang out in the great waste land. So when the sundering of books came about, it was the sad move of the Dragon Ogres and Shagoth over to mortals. Maybe beast men will get something next book?

AGPO:

You can still use them if you use the combined army rules from Tamurkhan. Personally, I’d like to see GW produce a Chaos ‘supplement’ like they did back in the days of 5th edition. Back then, the Chaos book came in a seperate box, with rules for gifts of chaos, four spell lores and three army lists.

I loved the flexibility of the old sixth ed books, and I’d love it if they introduced something similar. You could build a truly chaotic army, and feature rules for a ‘Great Incursion’ campaign featuring Archaon, Asavar Kul or Tamurkhan.