[Archive] Viable or suicide?

brother_cov:

My regular opponent is beginning to feel that the LoA CD lists are “broken” with too many “broken units” with “broken rules” etc ie K’daai, Flame Cannons, Chalice, AS etc etc and he now pretty much sets up any army he uses to counter the specific rules of LoA.

So, to balance the situation I am planning to play him using a list that has NO flaming attacks, NO warmachines and NO BS weapon troops!

So, my question is…is this suicide on my part or remotely viable?

for 2500 pts I will aim to take

Lv4

Tau’ruk x2

Castellan BSB

IG horde (GW)

BC with GW x 2 units of 3 (BC Hero delivery units)

Skullcracker x 2

The plan would be to be “in his face” with some tough as hell units which will hopefully silence the whining (he is a mate by the way).

If nothing else, I will be learning a bit more about the lush LoA CDs

thanks for any advice given :cheers

RichardC1967:

what is he bringing? I personally think the flaming attacks is what the CD’s are all about…each army has its own strengths and weaknesses and to limit yourself to make your friend happy is just silly…but good luck in teaching him a lesson…:hat off

Bolg:

Our core troops are very good, but very expensive, if you save points on warmachines and kadaai you get a lot more core. I say bring hordes.

Also bring blocks of Hobgoblins so you can tar pit multiple units.

Or whatever you do its not suicide. Just yesterday I played a 2000 point army with no kadaai (There was a Magma cannon (only flaming attacks) and a Hell cannon). I found that playing with out the Kadaai and all there rules made my list a lot more solid and I will continue expanding that list, I’m Looking forward to experiment with units like 40 Hobs with additional handweapon in a horde formation. Anyway I say its quite possible to put down a list without (all or most) Tamurkhans broken stuff.

burock:

when in doubt, prep your roster with ETC rules in mind mate. that way, your opponent will not have any grounds to accuse you to be a cheese player or running a cheesy army.

as for your roster, i have to say that since you are not bringing any WMs or your own monsters, you ll have a bad time dealing with enemy monsters. Hence, you might consider giving your infantries GWs. I know it is damn expensive; but in such a crippled selection, your every regiment must hold itself.

btw, what army does your opponent play?

Groznit Goregut:

I would think the only person that would complain about flaming attacks would be a Wood Elf player or a Dark Elf with his Hydra. All someone would have to do is have a lone hero with Dragonhelm hold up the Destroyer for a while.

burock:

I would think the only person that would complain about flaming attacks would be a Wood Elf player or a Dark Elf with his Hydra.  All someone would have to do is have a lone hero with Dragonhelm hold up the Destroyer for a while.

Groznit Goregut
add TK to the whiners list, due to their flammable heroes.

DEs on the other hand, do not have any right to whine. they can IF mindrazor any given time and that s the best way to deal with a destroyer :)

brother_cov:

My mate usually plays:

Lizardmen (cheesy Slaan)

High Elves

Beastmen

Dark Elves

Daemons

And he usually wins against me!

We play a variety of themed lists and I never bring the full on “cheese” element but he absolutely hates the magma cannon and K’Daai (Destroyer or Fireborn)

I only ever take 1 MC and dont always take a Destroyer but sometimes small units of Fireborn.

One day I will show him what true CD cheese would ACTUALLY be, but for now we just play games for fun and Im happy to keep learning about different styles of play and tactics with CDs so its all cool :slight_smile:

burock:

My mate usually plays:

Lizardmen (cheesy Slaan)
High Elves
Beastmen
Dark Elves
Daemons

We play a variety of themed lists and I never bring the full on "cheese" element but he absolutely hates the magma cannon and K'Daai (Destroyer or Fireborn)

I only ever take 1 MC and dont always take a Destroyer but sometimes small units of Fireborn.

One day I will show him what true CD cheese would ACTUALLY be, but for now we just play games for fun and Im happy to keep learning about different styles of play and tactics with CDs so its all cool :)

brother_cov
he has a dark elf AND a daemon army and calls you cheese, eh? :)

ok, offer him to field ETC compatible armies. Then lean back and watch his frustration how hard time he will get when building one of his rosters.

rpitts2004:

My mate usually plays:

Lizardmen (cheesy Slaan)
High Elves
Beastmen
Dark Elves
Daemons

We play a variety of themed lists and I never bring the full on "cheese" element but he absolutely hates the magma cannon and K'Daai (Destroyer or Fireborn)

One day I will show him what true CD cheese would ACTUALLY be, but for now we just play games for fun and Im happy to keep learning about different styles of play and tactics with CDs so its all cool :)

brother_cov
If he usually wins, then why is he complaining?

Bolg:

He is starting to sound like a real whiner. Contact your local hobby store if you need fresh opponents.

brother_cov:

He is starting to sound like a real whiner. Contact your local hobby store if you need fresh opponents.

Bolg
Dont get me wrong, he's a great guy to play and he's just more talented at gaming than I am thats why he wins.
I like to play against other people as well as him and will usually try to do something different each game.

Plus, Ive just discovered a new store 5 mins from my work so Im looking forward to playing against some new opponents :)

Bolg:

I know a few great guys that at the battle table transform in real bastards or whiners.

So just face him with a well balanced list (no Kadaai destroyers, Chalice and no scary doubles) and challenge him to have a great game. Stop when the game lost its fun and dont calculate VP’s afterwards.

Those are the best games against friends.

(In general we (my game group) only really calculate VP’s if we are practicing for a tournament.)

Blackspine:

I’m not sure why flaming attacks are a complaint.

most lists, they’re a liability. A dragon helm/gem char can hold up an entire unit. This applies to TK heros/chars as well.

for DE/ A-boms it’s a nice smack in the face…or really just evening the playing field. Even if you kill an A-bom, it usually does catastrophic damage to most units.

DE’s and mindrazor just go hand in hand, sadly. It’s become so commonplace that people are just used to it. 6 dice monky-ing mindrazor sure makes a good general.

(i use shadow with my beasts, but rarely ever take Mindrazor)

I would think the only person that would complain about flaming attacks would be a Wood Elf player or a Dark Elf with his Hydra.  All someone would have to do is have a lone hero with Dragonhelm hold up the Destroyer for a while.

Groznit Goregut
add TK to the whiners list, due to their flammable heroes.

DEs on the other hand, do not have any right to whine. they can IF mindrazor any given time and that s the best way to deal with a destroyer :slight_smile:

burock

Hashup:

I don’t get it…why complain when he’s winning in the first place?  If he is the better wargamer it should be up to him to change up his tactics, figure out whats going wrong and right the ship.  In my experience, building lists to specifically counter an opponents will typically make the game no fun for either player, as one person doesn’t get to use their favourite units due to the list they’ve built to hard counter another army, and the other player gets to fight a frustrating battle against an army tailor-made for their destruction.

I appreciate the situation you’re in brother_cov as I’ve had to do the same thing to my lists as well.  I’ve totally stopped using the destroyer due to it wrecking my opponents all by itself (doesn’t help the first game I played it in it fought off a dark insanity, rerolling to hit bloodthirster that got 12 attacks, a soulgrinder and 5 khorne hounds all at the same time, bringing the thirster down to 1 wound and killing the grinder and dogs due to very good rolling on my part!  Gives a bad impression for sure…:D). Have you sat down with him and talked about weaknesses and counters to the units he hates so much?  I do that often with my gaming group and it helps quite a bit.  If he really is the better player, should he really have ask you to hamstring your army just to keep on winning?  Your army idea does look alright, but lacks a lot of what makes the chaos dwarfs a unique army and thus fun to play.  To me, what you have there looks like a slower, softer Warriors of Chaos list.