[Archive] Visiting Ireland - any tips?

Xander:

Hullo UK friends!

I’m visiting Ireland in May. Any tips for when I travel?

We’re hitting a lot of great spots, but perhaps something stands out to you that I should visit?

Also, any hobby shop recommendations?

Thanks! :hat off

Bloodbeard:

Another dream?

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Dînadan:

Cant offer any tips although I will say it might help if you say which part(s) you�?Tre visiting and whether you�?Tre going to the Republic of or Northern Ireland as those are different countries so people might have different suggestions depending on which one you�?Tre visiting.

Skink:

If you have a few spare days I highly recommend to rent a car and travel the wild atlantic way:

https://www.wildatlanticway.com/explore-the-route

Then, when in Dublin (dedicate at least 3 or 4 days to it), go to Howth. It is a small town about 30mins of ride out of the city, from where you can start a pretty long trail that goes around a cliff, which is breathtaking. The natural history museum is good (albeit not as good as London’s), and, beside the more famous landmarks, go to saint Michan’s church. Inside you will find a few mummies, one of which is a 1000 years old, and you are even allowed to touch it (touching the mummy of a crusader knight = check :smiley: ).

I suppose you will visit the cliffs of Moher and the Giant’s causeway… when you’ll go to Moher have lunch in Doolin, and hoard as much toffee as you can! Finally, try their food! The traditional Irish breakfast is interesting, and Guinness stew is just… goooood!!!

Admiral:

If you want to tread ground soaked in ancient blood shed in violent fury, you could visit Clontarf, Drogedha and the like. Oh, and the oldest parts of Dublin (where a Norwegian community still lived centuries after the Viking era) were the site of a slave market fed by the constant warfare between the Irish clans and between Irish natives and Viking intruders, not to speak of Baltimore, which was sacked by Barbary pirates in 1631. Any wayward lord of the Dark lands can sate his cruel appetites on this emerald isle by finding refuge in the knowledge that misery and death galore once reigned supreme where his stony feet now stands amid the greenery and picturesque cobblestone streets. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just kidding. Good tips from Skink, and don’t miss the Giant’s Causeway!

Abecedar:

Am jealous of you. Enjoy your self

TheHoodedMan:

I was in Ireland several times and there are interesting places everywhere. Probably it is best to rent a car to have maximum mobility, Ireland is not so big. Luckily you can reach a lot of places without hurry in a relatively short time :cheers.

Foodwise I would recommend the seafood on the west coast.

The British part is less frequented by tourists and I liked the Northwest and to see important places in Belfast (newer history).

I liked Cork as a city and obviously there are great landscapes often seen on posters ;-). Dublin I liked not so much and it is rather expensive. Personally I would fly to Shannon and travel from there.

I am sure you will have a nice time!

Miasma:

If you have the chance take in Ennis (Rep of Ireland) they have Abbey and Friary and also the most pubs per head 60 pubs for 24000 people. Collect a beer mat from each… that’ll keep you busy. Unfortunately Tipsy McStagger has closed down

cornixt:

If you’re a Game of Thrones fan then Northern Ireland has several castles used in the show.

Xander:

Another dream?

Bloodbeard
Haha! Not this time. :)
Cant offer any tips although I will say it might help if you say which part(s) you�?Tre visiting and whether you�?Tre going to the Republic of or Northern Ireland as those are different countries so people might have different suggestions depending on which one you�?Tre visiting.

Dînadan
Both, we're starting in Dublin and going counter-clockwise around the island.
Dublin, Belfast, Londonderry, Achill, Galway, Limerick, Dingle, Portmagee, Cork, Kilkenny, then back to Dublin.
If you have a few spare days I highly recommend to rent a car and travel the wild atlantic way:

https://www.wildatlanticway.com/explore-the-route

Then, when in Dublin (dedicate at least 3 or 4 days to it), go to Howth. It is a small town about 30mins of ride out of the city, from where you can start a pretty long trail that goes around a cliff, which is breathtaking. The natural history museum is good (albeit not as good as London's), and, beside the more famous landmarks, go to saint Michan's church. Inside you will find a few mummies, one of which is a 1000 years old, and you are even allowed to touch it (touching the mummy of a crusader knight = check :D ).

I suppose you will visit the cliffs of Moher and the Giant's causeway... when you'll go to Moher have lunch in Doolin, and hoard as much toffee as you can! Finally, try their food! The traditional Irish breakfast is interesting, and Guinness stew is just... goooood!!!

Skink
Excellent advice! I will look into all of that. :D

If you want to tread ground soaked in ancient blood shed in violent fury, you could visit Clontarf, Drogedha and the like. Oh, and the oldest parts of Dublin (where a Norwegian community still lived centuries after the Viking era) were the site of a slave market fed by the constant warfare between the Irish clans and between Irish natives and Viking intruders, not to speak of Baltimore, which was sacked by Barbary pirates in 1631. Any wayward lord of the Dark lands can sate his cruel appetites on this emerald isle by finding refuge in the knowledge that misery and death galore once reigned supreme where his stony feet now stands amid the greenery and picturesque cobblestone streets. :P

Just kidding. Good tips from Skink, and don't miss the Giant's Causeway!

Admiral
Awesome tips. Thanks!
Am jealous of you. Enjoy your self

Abecedar
Haha! Thanks. :)
I was in Ireland several times and there are interesting places everywhere. Probably it is best to rent a car to have maximum mobility, Ireland is not so big. Luckily you can reach a lot of places without hurry in a relatively short time :cheers.

Foodwise I would recommend the seafood on the west coast.
The British part is less frequented by tourists and I liked the Northwest and to see important places in Belfast (newer history).
I liked Cork as a city and obviously there are great landscapes often seen on posters ;-). Dublin I liked not so much and it is rather expensive. Personally I would fly to Shannon and travel from there.

I am sure you will have a nice time!

TheHoodedMan
Yes, we are renting a car, so we'll be mobile. We're there for 2 weeks, so we plan to see as much as we can! Thanks for the tips!
If you have the chance take in Ennis (Rep of Ireland) they have Abbey and Friary and also the most pubs per head 60 pubs for 24000 people. Collect a beer mat from each.... that'll keep you busy. Unfortunately Tipsy McStagger has closed down

Miasma
We have stops in Galway and Limerick, so maybe we'll stop at a Pub in Ennis along the way! :D Any other things to know about Ennis? :)
If you're a Game of Thrones fan then Northern Ireland has several castles used in the show.

cornixt
Cool, do you know their names by chance? I'll look them up if not. :)

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

Do any of our members live in Ireland, I wonder?

Skink:

Do any of our members live in Ireland, I wonder?

Xander
Grimstonefire is Irish isn´t he?

AtomTaylor:

I’m from Dublin, but live in Surrey UK. Sage tourist advice above, Wicklow’s nice too ( just outside Dublin).

Have fun,

Andy.

Xander:

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I incorporated them when possible!

Lots of pics! Login • Instagram

We had some of the best weather that it’s possible to get in ireland, maybe 1 rainy day in more than 2 weeks! :smiley: There are so many castles in Ireland!

Dînadan:

If you like castles you should have come to Wales; the only way the English were able to conquer us was by building one every couple of miles. Unless I�?Tm mistaken we have more castles than anywhere else in Europe. :wink:

Xander:

If you like castles you should have come to Wales; the only way the English were able to conquer us was by building one every couple of miles. Unless I�?Tm mistaken we have more castles than anywhere else in Europe. ;)

Dînadan
Sweet, I'll definitely have to check them out one day!

Admiral:

Dalarna in Sweden isn’t a hotspot if you’re looking for fortresses. We don’t get conquered by castles, we conquer castles!

Very nice pictures! Beautiful nature and castles. And such weather in the British Isles? Lucky stroke! :hat off

Dînadan:

Wikipedia page on Wales: List of castles in Wales - Wikipedia

We have 600, although only 100 or so are still standing (the rest have returned to nature and most of what�?Ts left of them are ditches, mounds, etc); that works out to about one castle per 13 square miles.