[Archive] Waaagh! Rudnik - Night Goblin Auxiliaries

Jasko:

They look awesome! :cheers

Somewhere I would have to have one of the fanatics from the 4th edition ... who knows where it turned?! :~

:hashut

Zanko
Cheers, thanks!

Well that's the problem with the little gitz, you never know where they are before they jump out of hiding and hit you right in the head. I'd say it's right on brand :idea

Uther the unhinged:

Lovely job on these. I have to say if I ever get another army it would be gobbos and fanatics are some of the best.

Jasko:

Lovely job on these. I have to say if I ever get another army it would be gobbos and fanatics are some of the best.

Uther the unhinged
Thank you very much!
I have great fun painting these, and at least as much fun playing them. Just had a battle last week against Wood Elves which I pretty much obliterated. They are surprisingly strong! Cannot wait to use them in an alliance with Chaos Dwarfs.

Uther the unhinged:

Oh yes an alliance would be awesome. Could you imagine us with Squig cavalry! Oh and I want an excuse to buy Mangler Squigs.

Jasko:

Oh yes an alliance would be awesome. Could you imagine us with Squig cavalry! Oh and I want an excuse to buy Mangler Squigs.

Uther the unhinged
Mangler Squigs are insane. But basically all squigs are. I think Night Goblins and Chaos Dwarfs complement each other pretty well. My Night Goblins really need a better leadership, and nobody beats Dwarfs with leadership. I also cannot wait for cross-over magic. Imagine poisoned Blunderbusses! Or Squigs with scaly skin 5+! It will be glorious.

boyfights:

I missed the last update somehow, damn those fanatics are great looking! I love that blue, and nice touch giving them mushroom-stained mouths as well :slight_smile: The new Night Goblins really are a joy to paint, it’s going to be hard to resist buying more!

Jasko:

I missed the last update somehow, damn those fanatics are great looking! I love that blue, and nice touch giving them mushroom-stained mouths as well :) The new Night Goblins really are a joy to paint, it's going to be hard to resist buying more!

boyfights
Thank you very much! Yeah I was thinking on how to paint gums and tongues and the linke. I didn't really want to bring in a new color like pink or so (although I think it might actually complement the green and blue quite well...) and decided to just go for the blue, which incidentally is the mushroom color and so can easily be justified to come from eating just them. Killed two grots with one stone here.
And I agree, painting those grots is deeply satisfying.

boyfights:

Hehe, I tend to like using the same colour in different places where I can get away with it as well :smiley: Lately I’m experimenting a bit more with different washes over the same base colour to see if I can extend my range a bit without having to buy more colours yet, I’d really like to but frankly I don’t have anywhere to put them at the moment :stuck_out_tongue: I think you’re right that a bit of pink might look good on them though, maybe on some of the non-fanatic ones or something? I tried to mix a tiny bit of blue in with my red goblins after having a lack of contrasts pointed out a few times on other models (what can I say, I like my browns and greens and greys :P) but I think I over-lightened it with my highlights. Good excuse to buy more and try again in my opinion :cheers

Jasko:

Hehe, I tend to like using the same colour in different places where I can get away with it as well :D Lately I'm experimenting a bit more with different washes over the same base colour to see if I can extend my range a bit without having to buy more colours yet, I'd really like to but frankly I don't have anywhere to put them at the moment :P I think you're right that a bit of pink might look good on them though, maybe on some of the non-fanatic ones or something? I tried to mix a tiny bit of blue in with my red goblins after having a lack of contrasts pointed out a few times on other models (what can I say, I like my browns and greens and greys :P) but I think I over-lightened it with my highlights. Good excuse to buy more and try again in my opinion :cheers

boyfights
Certainly, different washes over the same basecolor in my experience are a very effective way to keep a unifying color scheme but add a little variation.
I will keep the pink-plan at the back of my mind for future non-fanatic models. I also yet have to tackle the squigs. The plan is to invert the color there, they will be all turqouise-blue, and Iw as thinking about painting their gums and tongues goblin-green. But we'll so once I paint the first one, pink is still in the mix there.
I quite like your approach with the rather sublte highlights! Especially on an army like grots, I think it's very fitting. But sure, if you need an excuse to get more models, I've got you covered - they look hideous! :hat off

boyfights:

Certainly, different washes over the same basecolor in my experience are a very effective way to keep a unifying color scheme but add a little variation.
I will keep the pink-plan at the back of my mind for future non-fanatic models. I also yet have to tackle the squigs. The plan is to invert the color there, they will be all turqouise-blue, and Iw as thinking about painting their gums and tongues goblin-green. But we'll so once I paint the first one, pink is still in the mix there.
I quite like your approach with the rather sublte highlights! Especially on an army like grots, I think it's very fitting. But sure, if you need an excuse to get more models, I've got you covered -  they look hideous! :hat off

Jasko
Turquoise squigs sound wonderful :) I was a little torn doing mine, growing up I always loved the old squigs and wanted a pile of them painted in all different colours and was really, really tempted to try and get creative with my Underworlds ones but in the end I decided a matching scheme was probably for the best and tried to paint them like real-world mushrooms :D Another good excuse to buy more if you ask me, hehe. I'm looking forward to seeing yours!

And cheers for the first excuse, when the new models show up I'll just tell my wife the internet said I had to do better and I had no choice! :cheers

Jasko:

Turquoise squigs sound wonderful :) I was a little torn doing mine, growing up I always loved the old squigs and wanted a pile of them painted in all different colours and was really, really tempted to try and get creative with my Underworlds ones but in the end I decided a matching scheme was probably for the best and tried to paint them like real-world mushrooms :D Another good excuse to buy more if you ask me, hehe. I'm looking forward to seeing yours!

And cheers for the first excuse, when the new models show up I'll just tell my wife the internet said I had to do better and I had no choice! :cheers

boyfights
Haha, aren't we all just at the whim of the online painting-community ;) You have no choice but to get the new models and slap some paint on them.

I very much know what you mean! I remember waaaaaay back in the day (phew, well over 20 years now...) when I painted my first unit of Dwarf Clansmen. I basically painted them all different because I envisioned them all being called to arms from their homes, so they're not a standing militia but basically everyone is wearing what they had. It just doesn't look good as a unit! There are some great examples of small units (Necromunda gangs or 40k Kill teams for example) where the painters used a certain palette but always switched up which element ended up with which paint (so one guy gets grey pants, red shirt and black jacket, the next one black pants, grey shirt and red jacket etc) which is really effective in making every model unique but still have a unifying look, which I think is key.

So I really like that your squigs are basically animal-mushrooms :) I'm planning the same, squigs will look more like the mushrooms than the grots. It's just what they are :)

Jasko:

growing up I always loved the old squigs and wanted a pile of them painted in all different colours and was really, really tempted to try and get creative with my Underworlds ones

boyfights
It just doesn't look good as a unit!

Jasko
But then again, what do I know? Maybe something like this?

(cc hatty)

boyfights:

Haha, aren't we all just at the whim of the online painting-community ;) You have no choice but to get the new models and slap some paint on them.

I very much know what you mean! I remember waaaaaay back in the day (phew, well over 20 years now...) when I painted my first unit of Dwarf Clansmen. I basically painted them all different because I envisioned them all being called to arms from their homes, so they're not a standing militia but basically everyone is wearing what they had. It just doesn't look good as a unit! There are some great examples of small units (Necromunda gangs or 40k Kill teams for example) where the painters used a certain palette but always switched up which element ended up with which paint (so one guy gets grey pants, red shirt and black jacket, the next one black pants, grey shirt and red jacket etc) which is really effective in making every model unique but still have a unifying look, which I think is key.

So I really like that your squigs are basically animal-mushrooms :) I'm planning the same, squigs will look more like the mushrooms than the grots. It's just what they are :)

Jasko
My first models were Bretonnian archers from the 5th edition WFB set and of course that's what the pictures showed so I did the same thing :D I've been using that palette theory with some of my 15mm groups to keep the schemes unified but have them still looking a bit rag-tag, I think it works well!

I thought it only made sense for the squigs as well :) While experimenting with my flesh wash I did some over light grey and thought it looked pretty disctinctly mushroomy and figured it would be a nice contrast with the red anyway. Now I just need to figure out what colour to do Mollog if I want to tie him too!

Jasko:

Now I just need to figure out what colour to do Mollog if I want to tie him too!

boyfights
Uhhhhh, Mollog is a great model! I got Snazzgar Stinkmullet back when Malign Portents came out but he's still in the sprue. Somewhere in the back of my mind is an idea swirling combining him and Mollog on a large base and give them rules similar to Skarsnik and Gobbla. But that's a project for the future...

boyfights:

Uhhhhh, Mollog is a great model! I got Snazzgar Stinkmullet back when Malign Portents came out but he's still in the sprue. Somewhere in the back of my mind is an idea swirling combining him and Mollog on a large base and give them rules similar to Skarsnik and Gobbla. But that's a project for the future...

Jasko
After taking a closer look at the rules for Rangers of Shadow Deep and realizing that my heroes are actually supposed to be Aragorn-style-Rangers with bows as well as swords, I'm planning the same thing for my ogre "rangers" who will have little gnoblar and goblin bowmen assistants :) No time for muckin' about wif dat stuff, dere's smashin' ta do!!

Snazzgar is a lovely model too, I've been really impressed with almost the entire AoS range. Even the Fyreslayers have grown on me over time :P

tjub:

Regarding colorful squigs, Ive so far painted two small units of them for Gloomspite Gitz. I think the mix of colors works quite well. :slight_smile:

Login • Instagram
Login • Instagram

Jasko:

Regarding colorful squigs, Ive so far painted two small units of them for Gloomspite Gitz. I think the mix of colors works quite well. :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvOhud9nRIw/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvhk_k6nw13/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

tjub
Well that settles it, colorful squigs work like a charm. :P These are beautiful!
Look at you, painting 28mm models :cheers

Jasko:

Regarding colorful squigs, Ive so far painted two small units of them for Gloomspite Gitz. I think the mix of colors works quite well. :)

tjub

Jasko
Which reminds me, 15mm Tjuigs (or Squbs?) would be super cute obviously! :idea

tjub:

tjub

Jasko
Which reminds me, 15mm Tjuigs (or Squbs?) would be super cute obviously! :idea

Jasko
Sorry for the OT.
It happens, been playing some AoS as well actully even though my main game these days are 15mm related. Enjoy the AoS and just wating for some evil dwarfs to be released to be honest. :)
I have sculpted 15mm "Squigs" way back, last summer I think. They have been waiting to get cast. But things are moving along on that front as we speak so they should be avaliable in a not to far distant future. They can be seen in my blog.

Lovely Gitz btw. :hat off

Jasko:

I have sculpted 15mm "Squigs" way back, last summer I think. They have been waiting to get cast. But things are moving along on that front as we speak so they should be avaliable in a not to far distant future. They can be seen in my blog.

Lovely Gitz btw. :hat off

tjub
Thank you!
Found them "Grubbs" on your instagram :cheers Looking really good.