[Archive] Waaagh! Rudnik - Night Goblin Auxiliaries

Jasko:

Over the next weeks (well, probably months and years…) I have a dual hobby project: Alternating between painting my Night Goblins army and assembling my boxes full of Chaos Dwarf goodness (which will be covered in a separate thread).

Chaos Dwarfs are my fourth army, 3.5 of which are unpainted. I have half my Dwarfs painted, but I did most of them something like 20 years ago when “painting” meant slapping exactly one uber-thick layer of paint on the model. And after playing now for years with unpainted armies I decided this has to stop. And since my Night Goblins are my smallest army and have a pretty straight forward paint scheme, I decided to start with them.

So here I present my first two units of 20 Night Goblin 'Arrers. At some point I have to think again about the bases, but these two were my first prototype units, the next ones will already have more stuff on their bases.

The_Penguin:

Do you happen to know that “Rudnik” in Russian is an “Ore Mine”? ) :smiley:

Jasko:

Do you happen to know that "Rudnik" in Russian is an "Ore Mine"? ) :D

The_Penguin
Haha, I had no idea, but I like it! My Night Goblins could very well live in an abandoned Dwarf Ore Mine :cheers

Admiral:

Nice colour scheme! I like the light blue moons to go along with the other colours. Good start. :slight_smile:

boyfights:

Looking great! The old multipart goblin kits are some of my favourites, lots of fun things you can do with them and they have so much character!

Gotta agree with Admiral on the blue too, it’s a nice change from the usual yellow :slight_smile:

tjub:

Bring the slaves! Looks great so far, blue works well. :slight_smile:

Uther the unhinged:

Lovely unit. I love night goblins and these are really nicely done. Dang, I neeed some slaves like these.

Jasko:

Cheers guys, thank you very much for your nice comments, this is highly motivating! :cheers

Nice colour scheme! I like the light blue moons to go along with the other colours. Good start. :slight_smile:

Admiral
Looking great! The old multipart goblin kits are some of my favourites, lots of fun things you can do with them and they have so much character!

Gotta agree with Admiral on the blue too, it’s a nice change from the usual yellow :slight_smile:

boyfights
Bring the slaves! Looks great so far, blue works well. :slight_smile:

tjub
Lovely unit. I love night goblins and these are really nicely done. Dang, I neeed some slaves like these.

Uther the unhinged
Thank you very much, I am quite happy how the blue turned out. Larger highlights will actually be a blend from turquoise to this blue, so far only the big moons on the banners got that. I actually use all these now to get it right, then I will move to the Squigs and they will all have a dark turquoise bottom and light blue top. Think it will look nice.

Indeed, those multipart Night Goblins were irresistible to me back in the day, had to start a Night Goblin army :slight_smile: They are considerably larger than the current grots though, that’s why I converted 20 with spears to also have bows and now have 100 (well, 80 plus some unit fillers) of the current ones with spears. Literally when I was just finished painting them did it occur to me that they also would have made decent Hobgoblins! Damn, idiot! Ah well, I need both anyway.

I got myself the necessary equipment for an actual Lightbox to take proper pictures, here they are. Next up: Fanatics.

tjub:

Looks great, the green tufts make the bases pop a bit as well. :hat off

Jasko:

Looks great, the green tufts make the bases pop a bit as well. :hat off

tjub
Thanks, yeah those tufts are pretty nifty, first time I used them. They are quite big though, but thankfully can be easily cut in half. However I have to get more variation done, needs more rocks and mushrooms of course. The Grots with spears have larger unit-bases, I have a little more space for basing there. Still a learning curve :hat off

Hashoooot:

Excellent highlights on the black robes, I might just add. The details in celestial blue make for a great contrast and a striking overall coherence. Almost to good to be sacrificed in battle, as is the chaos dwarfs’ habit!

Jasko:

Excellent highlights on the black robes, I might just add. The details in celestial blue make for a great contrast and a striking overall coherence. Almost to good to be sacrificed in battle, as is the chaos dwarfs' habit!

Hashoooot
Thank you very much! Some highlights are quite heavy, but I like that on troops. You don�?Tt look at them close up anyway :P
I was looking for another color than the same old yellow, something nicely complementing green and black but also looking good on squigs. And after consulting a color wheel and looking up color theory, I felt confident with turquoise-blue. Very happy with how it turned out.
Night goblins are surprisingly strong. Well, not the gobbos themselves, but fanatics and squigs. Many a Chaos Warrior thought them easy prey and was then surprised!

Admiral:

What a beautiful unit! Splendid palette and paintjob and highlight and bases! Night Gobbo glory. :cheers

Jackswift:

Nicely done. I concur, nice to see a scheme different from the norm. Well done.

Jasko:

What a beautiful unit! Splendid palette and paintjob and highlight and bases! Night Gobbo glory. :cheers

Admiral
You flatter me, kind sir.
Nicely done.  I concur, nice to see a scheme different from the norm.  Well done.

Jackswift
You're all too kind.

I started with my fanatics, basecolors and first washes are applied. We'll see if I can find some time to work on them over easter.

boyfights:

Daaaang, those are really nice! I had a feeling your first picture wasn’t doing them justice :slight_smile: Awesome highlight work, I wish I could get mine so crisp!

Jasko:

Daaaang, those are really nice! I had a feeling your first picture wasn't doing them justice :) Awesome highlight work, I wish I could get mine so crisp!

boyfights
Wow, guys, seriously, you're all making my days here :hat off
I think this is the first time I uploaded pictures of painted models anywhere, and you're all so nice and supportive about it. What a community! :cheers

Abecedar:

Makes me want to get back o painting some of mine.  Night Gobbo’s from BFSP was my intro into WHFB.
Very nice.

Jasko:

I am happy to present the most iconic of Night Goblin units, the Fanatics! There are three metal ones, from the same era as the Arrers were, and six plastic ones from their last iteration, so not the current Gloomspite ones. I am obviously thinking about getting a box of them, one can never have enough Fanatics :yar

I am not super happy with the principal color of the bases, but the mushrooms and tufts do a good job.

Zanko:

They look awesome! :cheers

Somewhere I would have to have one of the fanatics from the 4th edition … who knows where it turned?! :~

:hashut