[Archive] Legion of Jaskorh [2019-09-13]

Jasko:

Alright, time to start the showcase for the reason I’m actually here, my Chaos Dwarf Legion of Azgorh!

Currently my army sits unassembled in two large boxes, and it is my plan to assemble it over the next, well, months. I have always been a terribly slow hobbyist, but I really want to get a lot done from now on. My plan is to alternate between completely painting my first army (my Night Goblins) and assembling my Chaos Dwarfs. I am not planning to show lots of unpainted models here, so it will be many months before this thread really gets going. I will only show something where I am proud of some conversions and the like (I have a few things planned)

But in order to have some start here, I am now showing my Sorcerer-Prophet on Lammasu, which was among the first models to arrive and I just couldn’t resist to start with something :hat. Like so many of us I opted for the Lammasu from Raging Heroes and the mounted Sorcerer-Prophet from Lost Kingdoms.

I didn’t particularly like the original saddle and definitely wanted to use the one from the Sorcerer-Prophet, so I cut a way the original one, sculpted (well, to the best of my abilities) a large scale to match the scaled back/tail and attached the saddle. Problem is, it is considerably longer than the original one, so my Sorcerer-Prophet ended up kinda leaning forwards. It’s the only thing I am not 100% satisfied with, but it was a necessary tradeoff. I mean it works for a diorama pose, but not reaaaally for the whole model. When I eventually put it on a base I will try and tilt the whole model up a little bit with green stuff and try to correct for it, but it will still remain. Cannot catch them all!

What I do like however, actually very much to be honest, is how magnetizing the whole thing worked out! I always wanted to be able to switch the rider between the Lammasu and the Forgeworld Great Taurus (Drazhoath is a gorgeous model, but out of principle I try not to use special characters as stand-ins for regular characters), and I was also sure that painting a completely assembled model would be horrible, so I magnetized it.

If you’re familiar with the High Elf Frost/Flamespyre Phoenix, which can be used both mounted and unmounted, GW lets you either attach the saddle or basically an insert, which I used to create my own attachment (obviously also magnetized) for the unthinkable situation where my poor Sorcerer-Prophet gets killed (I know, sacrilege!) or should I ever play Storm of Magic and can have an unmounted Lammasu.

And lastly, since I was already knees deep in magnetizing, I did the same for the head to be able to also use the beautiful Manticore head! (two monsters for the price of one, I like that). I neither play any army able to field a Manticore nor Storm of Magic, but you never know and I would have hated myself for missing the opportunity.

I gave the Manticore a scar over his left eye like the eponymous character from the Lion King, I really like that for a Manticore.

So, that’s about it for the moment. Don’t hold your breath for progress here, it will be glacially slow - but hopefully just as inevitable :hat off

Hashoooot:

Way to go! I’m already looking forward to see the finished model and the rest of the army. Please keep posting!

Jasko:

Way to go! I'm already looking forward to see the finished model and the rest of the army. Please keep posting!

Hashoooot
Thank you very much, I sure will do!

Admiral:

Wow, that is a solid start! Great work man!

Jasko:

Wow, that is a solid start! Great work man!

Admiral
Thank you very much! :cheers

tjub:

Oh, cool! Thats a great start. Been a long time since I used magnets… :slight_smile:

Btw, are your plans AoS or older editions?

Jasko:

Oh, cool! Thats a great start. Been a long time since I used magnets... :)
Btw, are your plans AoS or older editions?

tjub
Haha, yeah I guess even the smallest neodyms would be quite large for a 15mm model. Maybe as a hat :P

I'm only playing 8th edition. I mean at least until GW releases a sweet Chaos Dwarf AoS faction :hat off

Uther the unhinged:

Such a great combo as a leader. I am jealous already, although not of the work involved.

boyfights:

Haha, yeah I guess even the smallest neodyms would be quite large for a 15mm model. Maybe as a hat :P

Jasko
Hmmm.. might be an option for upside down storage trays.. :idea

This is incredible, really nice work!

Jackswift:

Some really nice conversion work on this model. I’m a big fan of the magnetized options and modular nature of the options especially the riderless insert. Well done! :hat off

Cheers, JR

Jasko:

Such a great combo as a leader.  I am jealous already, although not of the work involved.

Uther the unhinged
Haha, ach it wasn't even that much. The biggest challenge was actually starting. I was a little nervous with cutting away large pieces of the Manticore. But once I saw I was on the right path it was actually great fun. That damn scale did cost me the most nerves. I remodelled it several times. First it was basically just a saddle blanket. But I didn't like how it looked when I removed the saddle (obviously). So I remodelled it as a scale. But then it turned out way to large and so on...
Hmmm.. might be an option for upside down storage trays.. :idea

This is incredible, really nice work!

boyfights
Haha, there you go! One could also use some kind of rod to easily remove models from the middle of the table :~ I think we're on to something here
Some really nice conversion work on this model.  I'm a big fan of the magnetized options and modular nature of the options especially the riderless insert.  Well done! :hat off
Cheers, JR

Jackswift
Thanks, it's what I like most about it as well.

Thank you very much, you're all too kind for a grey/green WIP ;P
But then again all these encouraging comments almost have me at the point where I scrap my original hobby plan for the summer and focus solely on my Chaos Dwarfs. :hat off

Almost :P And my overarching plan for the whole year was "make plans and stick with them for once." :D

Filmdeg:

Ah man this looks great! Looking forward to seeing this progress :smiley:

Jasko:

Ah man this looks great! Looking forward to seeing this progress :D

Filmdeg
Thanks man, you and me both :) Ah, so much to do and so little time

Jasko:

OK my friends, something happened which is actually too crazy to be true, but I’ll try.

Years ago a friend of mine gave me a small metal box with old Warhammer models, which he said had belonged to another mutual friend, who sadly had passed away a couple of years before. I was the only one of the old gang who still (read: again) played Warhammer, so he thought I could make the most use out of it. Our friend had played Space Wolves, and I got that box like a “oh, before I forget” situation on a busy evening, so I just put the box in the cabinet and, well, forgot about it for years, to be completely honest here.

Two days ago I remembered the box while watching some hobby videos from guys who buy some surprise-boxes with random models from Craigs list and whatnot and then do unboxing videos and stuff. So while I watched it I got my box to have a look at the old Space Wolves models, maybe come up with some way to make something nice of out it. Only that the box did not contain Space Wolves, it contained some old Cadian Troops, some Cadian heavy weapons, a single Catachan jungle fighter, two (!?) old Commissar Yarrick models, aaaaaaaand

Yeah, I know! That is exactly what I thought!
When I think back I still remember these models, but I thought they belonged to yet another guy. So either he gifted them to him, or he just painted them, I don’t know.
I’m still baffled. I never had any original Big Hats, these are my first. It’s a shame that the Death Rocket Launcher is not there, but still, what a treasure.

Hashoooot:

Brilliant! Hidden treasure indeed. Congratulations for finally unearthing it!

Abecedar:

Lucky you. that’s great.

Gargolock:

A truly lucky find! Excited to see what you will do with those big hats.

tjub:

Congrats! And welcome down a slippery slope I guess, gotta catch 'em all…

Jasko:

Congrats! And welcome down a slippery slope I guess, gotta catch 'em all...

tjub
I know! I�?Tm already annoyed that I don�?Tt have enough big hats for a full unit. And that i didn�?Tt get the Blunderbuss guys Wildist had to offer :D

Uther the unhinged:

Oh dear. The road to bankruptcy is paved with incomplete sets of minis. Thus what seems a blessing of Hashut could become a curse.

Still you WILL have a cool army at the end!

Good Luck!