[Archive] Wanted: Advice for 2,500 pts Swedish Comp list

Admiral:

Would you like to help me out? I’m about to enter a tournament with 13-19 in comp, so anything below 13 is not allowed. I’m sure I must have misunderstood something about the Swedish Composition system, so I’ll just post the army list here and let you come with advice for tweaks to make the cut. If you spot any errors, shout out! Chaos Dwarfs are at page 13 and warmachine points are at the end of the document.

After many games where I’ve tried to make it more interesting for both me and my opponent by playing aggressively, trying to set traps etc. it’s time to test something new.

I simply have too few units for that to work, so the current idea is to castle in a corner with two hordes of great weapon Chaos Dwarfs as protection, have a semi-immortal general, BSB and the three warmachines found in this list. I would not like to stray too much from it if possible, especially since I lack the models for Bull Centaurs etc.

Comp is the minus values below the points cost, eg. -12, whilst warmachine points are the wmp values.

I’m down at about 11,5 comp, and need to rise to 13.

Lords (375 pts.)

Sorcerer-Prophet (265), level 3 wizard, Lore of Metal, Enchanted Shield (5), Talisman of Preservation (45), Staff of Sorcery (35), Ironcurse Icon (5), Blood of Hashut (20).

Total: 375 pts.

6 wmp

Heroes (436 pts.)

Daemonsmith Sorcerer (95), level 1 wizard, Lore of Fire, Charmed Shield (5), Luckstone (5), Dispel Scroll (25).

Total: 130 pts.

6 wmp

Infernal Castellan (105), shield (2), Battle Standard Bearer (25), Dragonhelm (10), Opal Amulet (15), Black Hammer of Hashut (35).

Total: 194 pts.

Hobgoblin Khan (40) on Giant Wolf (12), Light Armour (2), Shield (2), Spear (4).

Total: 56 pts.

Hobgoblin Khan (40) on Giant Wolf (12), Light Armour (2), Shield (2), Spear (4).

Core Units (1099 pts.)

34 Infernal Guards with Great Weapons (510), Full Command (32), Banner of Swiftness (15).

Total: 557 pts.

34 Infernal Guards with Great Weapons (510), Full Command (32).

Total: 542 pts.

Special Units (100 pts.)

Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher.

Total: 100 pts.

4 wmp

Rare Units (490 pts.)

5 Hobgoblin Wolf Raiders (60), Musician (5).

Total: 65 pts.

Dreadquake Mortar (195), Slave Ogre (20).

Total: 215 pts.

4 wmp

Hellcannon (210).

Total: 210 pts

6 wmp

Army total: 2500 pts.

26 wmp = -38

147 + 38 = 185

300 - 185 = 115 / 10 = 11,5

Bloodbeard:

Wow…I’m glad we keep it simple in my country. I’ve read the competion rules now, but I can’t figure our how those WMP points counts? Can you explain that?

I won’t be able to offer any help on your list, because I would have to spend time looking a those swedish points and calculate your nasty factor. And that’s suddenly gonna take a lot of time.

Admiral:

Thanks for reading through it. I can’t understand it either, in fact I’d rather much see that GW delivered a balanced product.

They managed to do so with Lotr, perhaps because they knew it wasn’t going to last, and thus could make a balanced game without the promise of future editions dangling in the air? The Swedish Comp system came about during 7th edition’s idiot trio of Daemons-Dark Elves-Vampire Counts and run of broken items and undercosted/overpriced units. :s

Since I can’t understand the rules, the above army list is wrong. But according to my brother it works like this:

You get a set amount of wmp for every distinct war machine. 2 wmp for each Dreadquake Mortar (4 if it has a Slave Ogre), 6 wmp for each Hellcannon and so on. So far, it’s easy.

Example: You have one Dreadquake with Slave Ogre (4 wmp), one Hellcannon (6 wmp) and one Deathshrieker (4 wmp). 6+4+4=14 wmp

Then the Daemonsmith stuff starts…

You have 3 warmachines & 2 Daemonsmiths. That give you 2 wmp to start with.

The warmachine control text unfolds, with each Daemonsmith capable to control up to 2 warmachines each. Each warmachine can only be controlled once. So if you have 2 Daemonsmiths and 3 warmachines, they control the 3 warmachines.

The tricky thing here is that the warmachines are taxed a second time because you have Daemonsmiths controlling them.

Your 3 warmachines gives 3+2+1=6 wmp in penalty.

Now add all of this up. The basic warmachine cost, the Daemonsmith cost, the control cost: 14+2+6=22 wmp

Look at the chart. 22 wmp equals -24 in comp score. Add this to your overall composition points.

I hope this explained things, or was it even intelligible? :stuck_out_tongue:

Bloodbeard:

… If you guys hadn’t rebelled Skåne, Halland and Blekinge would still play regular warhammer. Now they are stuck with this.

I’m out. You’re on you own Admiral.

Admiral:

... If you guys hadn't rebelled Skåne, Halland and Blekinge would still play regular warhammer. Now they are stuck with this.

I'm out. You're on you own Admiral.

Bloodbeard
Haha, if the Dutch hadn't prevented us from finish what we started and let us capture Denmark in the 1660s without interference you'd also have been stuck with this. ;)

Thanks for trying to help! I sure appreciate it. Anyone else who wants to grapple with this comp bull's horns?

sam585:

switch hellcannon for another dreadquake

switch greatweapons for fireglaives, and shave off some of your IG to make up the points.

should net you a compscore of about 16.5 (I think)

You may miss the hellcannons versatility, but 2 dreadquakes will melt the enemy much faster, just remember the quake rules dangerous terrain test is for any and all movement.

The fireglaives will serve your overall strategy better because they are adding something in the shooting phase and str5 will be enough in combat, it might actually be better against the likes of ironguts and hammerers.

Admiral:

Thanks a lot, sam! Taking the Dreadquake is a neat idea, but I would have to proxy Dwarf Thunderers for IG if I were to go with Fireglaives. I don’t have any such models yet, and they are lower priority than Blunderbusses for future purchases.

MadHatter:

I’m moving my interest towards the Dreadquake Mortar, Lammasu and Siege-Giant at the moment and just cracked open the boxes and glued my earthshaker and marauder giant together so this was a happy read.

I noticed the model under the hole of the small template takes a str10 hit and everything hit recieves multiple wounds d6… Can’t wait to start playing it. I wanna blast Hellcannons, Skullcrushers, Dragonprinces, Daemonprinces, Dragons, Nagash… oh joy and happy day.

Off-topic I can’t pass on the opportunity to agree with Bloodbeard that we should have remained danish, although I’m a big fan of our current king Carl Gustav my loyalty lies with the crown of Copenhagen.

EDIT: Oh, couldn’t make sense of those rules, sorry Admiral.

Admiral:

Ah, well, I’ve never been neither rules- not mathemathics-minded. As for the Danish crown…

That’s the one we Dalecarlians tossed out! Some rebels, eh? :wink:

sam585:

I think you can still use greatweapons and still meet the bare minimum of 13.

Geist:

Ok here is my two bits for what its worth. All comp systems use a math of some sort, and the maths that is being used in most is based on a simple idea. The more things you take that are too good or too common the more negative points you get. So with out even trying to understand this latest batch of pure BS of math comp here is what I would do if I was you.

1 Reduce all points on characters.

1a Take away magic weapon from BSB give him great weapon and mask of furnace. Saves points and should reduce -pts.

1b Each Khan on wolf remove everything but light armour and wolf.

2 Take less optimal items like as was suggested before 1 block with fire glavies or hand weapon and shield.

3 Remove hell cannon for a dreadquake. Take a unit of bulls. Take anything that is not “ideal”. By now most of use know how to make a tourney worthy list. Make a tourney worth list and then take out anything that’s a must take and remove it.

Post Script

I know this will work, but I fucking hate doing it. It forces a whole new style that can be abused as well. These comp maths never solve anything they just breed a better breed of player who can game the system better.

Bloodbeard:

I'm moving my interest towards the Dreadquake Mortar, I noticed the model under the hole of the small template takes a str10 hit and everything hit recieves multiple wounds d6... Can't wait to start playing it.

MadHatter
The LoA FAQ clears, that it's still only the model directly under the small hole that get s10, d6 wounds. So in that regard the DQM and the HC is exactly the same. One of the reasons I prefer a HC. Now in this rule system I might switch for a DQM to lower the comp score.

Admiral:

@sam858: Great!

@Geist: Thanks for your advice, but actually the only thing which would work of your “uninitiated” tips is switching the Hell Cannon for a Dreadquake, plus Fireglaives. Maybe Bulls also, but I don’t have any of those yet. You see, I’ve almost completely avoided items which gives a comp penalty on my characters, so most of that stuff is comp-neautral.

All that removing items would do is free up points to be used on things which lowers comp further. Even Hobgoblins gives minus points for comp.

It is very much true that competitive and rules-wrangling players adapt perfectly to the system. Especially if they take some underperforming units as “comp makeup” to allow for more of the best units to be chosen. This is especially true for Lizardmen. Yet comped army lists don’t see idiot spam of the most broken unit in the army list, as the case all too often is in the US and I guess also UK.

Right. Army list update time:

Lords (369 pts.)

Mazzarnippurbalika the Crone: Sorcerer-Prophet (265), level 3 wizard, Lore of Metal, Enchanted Shield (5), Talisman of Preservation (45), Staff of Sorcery (35), Ironcurse Icon (5), Blood of Hashut (20).

Total: 375 pts.

6 wmp

Heroes (436 pts.)

Uhr-Uruk Azhur Flamemaw: Daemonsmith Sorcerer (95), level 1 wizard, Lore of Fire, Charmed Shield (5), Luckstone (5), Dispel Scroll (25).

Total: 130 pts.

3 wmp

Kar-Tukulti Ninurta: Infernal Castellan (105), Shield (2), Battle Standard Bearer (25), Dragonhelm (10), Opal Amulet (15), Black Hammer of Hashut (35).

Total: 194 pts.

Weezgor da Big Stabby Un: Hobgoblin Khan (40) on Giant Wolf (12), Light Armour (2), Shield (2), Spear (4).

Rotgut Stuntylicka: Hobgoblin Khan (40) on Giant Wolf (12), Light Armour (2).

Total: 50 pts.

Core Units (1099 pts.)

Devil Guard: 34 Infernal Guards with Great Weapons (510), Full Command (32), Banner of Swiftness (15).

Total: 557 pts.

The Bloodied: 34 Infernal Guards with Great Weapons (510), Full Command (32).

Total: 542 pts.

Special Units (100 pts.)

Uhr-Uruk’s Pride: Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher.

Total: 100 pts.

4 wmp

Rare Units (495 pts.)

Dirtee Lootas: 5 Hobgoblin Wolf Raiders (60), Musician (5).

Total: 65 pts.

Landcrusher: Dreadquake Mortar (195), Slave Ogre (20).

4 wmp

Landripper: Dreadquake Mortar (195), Slave Ogre (20).

4 wmp

Army total: 2499 pts.

21 wmp = -21

138 + 21 = 159

300 - 159 = 141 / 10 = 14,1 Comp Score

The Red Host of Nir Kezhar
That saves the day. Thank you!

sam585:

Think your list overall is good an leans toward the strong size of LoA (castle and shoot) however, its gonna get boring :slight_smile: