[Archive] Warhammer Armies - Gnolls ^^

GnollLordMgabe:

To state, I am still brainstorming on fluff and background for this but I am open for any ideas and thoughts for special characters, units, and such. The inspiration for this would be the Zulu of Africa along with a few of the south African tribes. But for now, enjoy ^^ Please though, if you do view the attachment, do leave a comment on this thread.

EDIT = New unit; this is a Rare Choice to note but it will be added to the list soon. For the mount option pointage, I am open for thoughts here lol ^^;

Catoblepas…348 points
A bizarre sight not uncommon to view while traveling through the thick grass of the Plain, the Catoblepas appears as a massive-sized oxen with a long shaggy horse-like mane along its thick neck and sharp horns that drip and curve down its flat head which bears a set of constantly shut eyes. However what marks it for its abnormality is not its appearance or location, but the lethal toxics that lay within its breath and snort. While they appear to have no harm on plant life, the Catoblepas’ breath however is dangerous to all living things �?" stripping them of the ability to breathe while the poison slowly begins to kill the body. For those who manage to withstand the fumes long enough, the bovine will instantly charge without warning and trample any to death under its heavy bulk. It can be noted that this knowledge is somehow known among the other fauna who immediately flee upon the slow approach of a Catoblepas though the only beast who seems immune and unafraid of this is its natural enemy, the Crocotta. To witness the tusks and claws of a Crocotta pack tear through the Catoblepas’ thick hide as the larger attempts to trample and gore its assailants with all its might in fearsome conflict is one of awe but yet unspeakable horror. The Gnolls however see the massive herbivore as two things �?" a intimidating mount for the strongest of Huntmasters in war and simple food for the tribe.

Catoblepas M5 WS5 BS3 S6 T5 W3 I2 A4 Ld6

Unit Size: 1

Troop Type: Monster

Weapons and Armour: None

Special Rules: Large Target; Devastating Charge; Terror; Always Strikes Last

Toxic Fume: The Catoblepas is more feared for its lethal breath rather its incredible bulk, the poison laced enough to kill two or three full grown elephants within range. To represent this, the Catoblepas has the Breath Weapon special rule that counts as a Poisoned Attack.

Tough Hide: A Catoblepas has a Scaly Skin save of 4+.

Thunderous Steed: Huntmasters may take Catoblepai as a mount option. This is selected as normal from the army list entry, but ignore the unit size restrictions. A Huntmaster mounted on a Catoblepas gains the Unbreakable special rule.

beefcake:

Looks quite cool. Didn’t have a long read. The characters look quite cool. Thrill of the hunt seems quite powerful though, what about rolling 3 d6 and choosing the highest 2.

Thorne:

Gnoll or gnole are the fictional cross between gnomes and trolls. Usually standing 7 feet tall. Flind are a more intelligent subrace than the standard gnoll usually more intelligent and often leading gnoll packs. Well that’s how I always saw them anyhows. The gnoll profile has always been ramshackle armour ramshackle weaponry. Zulu warriors I don’t see them as. Perhaps orcs or even chaos beast men profile would work better ?

Thommy H:

The rules seem fine, but isn’t the niche of bestial, hunting hybrids already filled by Beastmen? It seems like most of the units here could really just be represented by Beastmen units.

GnollLordMgabe:

Gnoll or gnole are the fictional cross between gnomes and trolls. Usually standing 7 feet tall. Flind are a more intelligent subrace than the standard gnoll usually more intelligent and often leading gnoll packs. Well that's how I always saw them anyhows. The gnoll profile has always been ramshackle armour ramshackle weaponry. Zulu warriors I don't see them as. Perhaps orcs or even chaos beast men profile would work better ?

Thorne
Uh...The gnolls I am talking about the hyena-men...They are still ramshackle in things but the culture part was inspired by the Zulu.

GnollLordMgabe:

The rules seem fine, but isn't the niche of bestial, hunting hybrids already filled by Beastmen? It seems like most of the units here could really just be represented by Beastmen units.

Thommy H
Really now? Any differences at least between my gnolls and the Beastmen? Also, since there seems to be a theme for this edition that every army gets a giant monster, any ideas? ^^; But otherwise thank you :hat off

propervillanz:

I must admit i like the idea a lot and have been thinking of a Zulu/Ethiopia inspired army list myself for some time. I agree with Tommy H though in that the Beastmen already fill the role/spirit that your Gnoll army is going for.

How about making them men, no one has attempted making any sort of fluff for any sort of race of men in the Southlands and with what you have you are well on your way. It would totally allow you to make special characters with the arch types of the Queen of Sheba, Shaka Zulu and what not.

Thorne:

Flying mounts I would assume you would be talking of ? If so I doubt you could go to far from a chimera or a hippogryph. That said as a standard cavalry type a hyeanadon type creature may work. But if I recall the Zulu didn’t use cavalry in that type of rule but I’ve been known to be wrong.

Thorne:

Don’t forget in d&d mythology gnolls were also related to ghouls.

GnollLordMgabe:

Flying mounts I would assume you would be talking of ? If so I doubt you could go to far from a chimera or a hippogryph. That said as a standard cavalry type a hyeanadon type creature may work. But if I recall the Zulu didn't use cavalry in that type of rule but I've been known to be wrong.

Thorne
Well, I am aware of that but I am trying to stick with an African theme here and yes I know the Zulu didn't have cavlary but this is Warhammer so cavalry is kinda needed xD